missmuffet

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

The rescue missions say this is a good way to give to those panhandlers holding up signs on the street. You can make up a kit. They say "Don't give them money".

ITEMS TO INCLUDE:

A typical Care Kit consists of a watertight gallon-size zipper lock plastic bag filled with items like:

• Water bottle
  • Socks
  • Tuna and crackers
  • Granola Bar or cereal bar
  • Fruit snack or applesauce cup
  • Crackers with peanut butter or cheese
  • Gift certificate to fast food
  • Hand wipes
  • Pack of Kleenex
  • Toothbrush and toothpaste
  • Nail clippers
  • Band Aids
  • Chapstick
  • Comb or small brush
  • Mints, cough drops or gum
  • Note of encouragement or uplifting Bible verse

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

If its in an area that is safe for me to park, I will get them lunch. You can buy bibles for a dollar at the dollar store. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest shiloh357
4 hours ago, Yowm said:

Then others say, just give them money if they ask, it’s between them and God what they do with it.

Matthew 5:42 
[42] Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.

The police in our area discourage giving money  to pan handlers.  We have them on every street corner it seems.  They know how to game the system.  They are not as homeless as you think.   Some of them are homeless by choice because they are sex offenders and don't want to have disclose it when they apply for a job or an apartment.

They can make upwards of $100 day in donations and it is all tax free.    The police in our area discourage giving to pan handlers because it helps many of them stay off of the sex offender registry.

If they are truly needy there are lots of places for them to go, at least in my city.

I do like Jade's idea of giving them necessities instead of money.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

"Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need."

"For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat."

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

9 hours ago, missmuffet said:

The rescue missions say this is a good way to give to those panhandlers holding up signs on the street. You can make up a kit. They say "Don't give them money".

ITEMS TO INCLUDE:

A typical Care Kit consists of a watertight gallon-size zipper lock plastic bag filled with items like:

• Water bottle
  • Socks
  • Tuna and crackers
  • Granola Bar or cereal bar
  • Fruit snack or applesauce cup
  • Crackers with peanut butter or cheese
  • Gift certificate to fast food
  • Hand wipes
  • Pack of Kleenex
  • Toothbrush and toothpaste
  • Nail clippers
  • Band Aids
  • Chapstick
  • Comb or small brush
  • Mints, cough drops or gum
  • Note of encouragement or uplifting Bible verse

Personally I would change that gift certificate for fast food to a grocery gift card or if you are going the fast food option make sure it is a place that serves relatively healthy fare, like Subway.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

18 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

"For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat."

You don't always know the reason why someone is not working. It is best not to judge. Of cores if I know someone to be a scheming moocher( a I do) That is a different story altogether. Anyway, I always ask God what he wants me to do when I see someone holding a "in need" sign in a parking lot somewhere. If God tells me to help then I help. If not, I move on. Maybe God is testing me?  I am more likely to stop for a women then I am a man.  And if they have children I find it hard to walk away from that. It is just how I am. If they are scheming that is on them. Something they will have to explain when they stand before God.  I think the care box is a good ideal. Anyway that is my take on the matter. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

9 hours ago, Yowm said:

Then others say, just give them money if they ask, it’s between them and God what they do with it.

Matthew 5:42 
[42] Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.

But if you are truly trying to help them you need to make sure they dont spend that money on booze smokes or drugs. Because many will. You have to use some discernment here. Therefore I like the idea of giving them necessities

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

3 minutes ago, TheMatrixHasU71 said:

But if you are truly trying to help them you need to make sure they dont spend that money on booze smokes or drugs. Because many will. You have to use some discernment here. Therefore I like the idea of giving them necessities

This brings to mind what my church does. We have two grocery stores in town. One sells beer, and smokes. The other does not sell any beer or smokes. My church if someone is in needing help getting groceries. My church will collect food for them and also give them a gift card to the grocery store that does not sell beer or smokes. I know this because I was on the receiving end of it a few times when things got a bit tight. 

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

This brings to mind what my church does. We have two grocery stores in town. One sells beer, and smokes. The other does not sell any beer or smokes. My church if someone is in needing help getting groceries. My church will collect food for them and also give them a gift card to the grocery store that does not sell beer or smokes. I know this because I was on the receiving end of it a few times when things got a bit tight. 

You are willing to work, right? Just rhetorical to make a point.

Of course help is given when help is needed! It is given without the left hand challenging what the right hand  is doing in that regard, but in fact, it is also  very hard to find where help is needed, for most in need will not say so!  That too is a form of pride to be overcome, and may be part of our individual sanctification process.

What is not acceptable is the thief that cons away funds that might otherwise be used for the truly needy amongst the saints in Christ Jesus, of which there are so very many.

I will risk loss of reward in heaven and take instead the comment of men  on earth  to share here that I have,  as one example, driven  92 miles to deliver food to a hungry family. I made the drive because I knew of the situation as revealed to me by the Holy Spirit of God. I also knew the situation would not end up feeding the children quite as well if dad and his friend bought beer and cigarettes too. So I drove 46 miles home had my wife help me shop for  toddler needs and proper foods of which I have little awareness, and then drove the packages back to the family. I believe most any  brother of sister would have done at least the same if not more and make delivery in the name of our Lord and savior Jesus.

I never ever give to panhandlers not ever. They are cons, they are carnies, they are gypsies, they are thieves, and often sexual perverts, and they are so often dangerous if allowed to be,  that I will not encourage their activity  and presence  in my community, nor my Lord's church property where they try to scare women going to their cars  after meetings and services. 

I don't feed the alligators for they become dangerous around all of us if I do.  I don't feed money to beggers for the same reason. They soon become aggressive and can quickly become dangerous demanders. Nonetheless, as corporate local church body group, and as an individual, generosity for the poor of the saints in Christ is part and parcel of the church body. It needs be encouraged, instructive, and organized for good effect, even as Paul organized so long ago.

That is my defense of my own stand on the subject. Others will obviously do as they are personally lead by the Holy Spirit and the word of God, as well.

Edited by Neighbor

It is interesting to see, as one is walking out over the beach sands at Santa Barbara, California, all the little decorated squares of the beggars, each which their own style of request and target for people to throw their money at from the pier walk. Some are quite creative, other have seeded their display with some money even paper bills in buckets wadded up. One said Just want beer money, and had receive sympathetic donations as we walked along.

All the while there are signs "help wanted" at the restaurants and shops, plus there are literally many enterprising merchants working at selling their creations of art and objects all along the beach sidewalk.