• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I lost my car in 2011 so I haven't been there since about 2008. I think I remember no fresh cut flowers allowed. In this place they stack the draws about 5 high so unless your loved one is at the bottom the flowers seem like a waste of money. My parents didn't want to go in there but my father's brothers ran things like the congress. There was 5. My father and 1 other brother were out voted. I always hated that place, since my grandparents were put there. When you make funeral arrangements, get a bill of 6 - $7,000 it makes you start thinking about what we claim we believe. I think I should end on that note before I start a debate. I hate debates here at the board.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hey the grass is always greener .... Eh?   Oh wait, no grass at all.  

We had designed a lot of hillside mausoleums, no interior halls just the outdoors. The crypts were cut into the hillsides six  high plus two more on top of that  that were lawn crypts. I did work on design of a couple of interior halled mausoleums that we worked hard on to make them bright and well lite  lots of natural light and huge stained glass panels of soft contemporary patterns. All the walls were white, alabaster white. They were pretty fine appearing, but for me personally, hey it is still put my cremated remains on the back seat of the tandem kayak and drag  it out to sea until I wash over into the briny wet. My wife of half a century and I so enjoyed our salt water kayaking. It is perhaps the best of our memories, well it rates right up there with the better times of fun anyway. And so, cremate me is the plan, and let our remains be by the wet side of the shores. And with that I'll sign off this subject too. Take care!

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

From my perspective of understanding the gospel cremation is against the Christian faith and shouldn't be encourage. I guess some Christian borrowed that from the Hindus. 

• Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

On 10/20/2017 at 2:03 PM, The Centurion said:

From my perspective of understanding the gospel cremation is against the Christian faith and shouldn't be encourage. I guess some Christian borrowed that from the Hindus. 

I don't know what Hindus do but based on what I've seen on TV the burning of a dead body was used by the Greeks and Romans. The Egyptians definitely thought some bodies come back to life and considering the ancient Hebrews spent about 300 yrs as slaves in Egypt maybe that's where they got the idea that this present body will come back to life. Personally, I wouldn't want to spend eternity in my present body. I often feel like the only thing God gave this body that's exceptional is the brain. 

The way I understand the NT we're getting a spiritual body but the Bible doesn't tell us what that means.

This all started with Pat Robinson saying burning someones body after death was considered an insult. It's not like Pat to make such a statement without giving a scripture to back it up. Pat usually knows what he's saying but he's almost 90. I've seen him make a mistake before. Maybe he himself considers it an insult because whether you agree with cremation or disagree no one gave a scripture that says it's an insult. Since we are getting a spiritual body I doubt it matters to God what happened to this current body. If a person was dead over 100 yrs this body is probably dust again. But what about people buried at sea, they probably get eaten by a shark or some other fish. And what about people eaten by lions or other land animals. I don't think that's a problem for God.

Traditional burials have become so expensive that cremation is being done more than ever before. Some people want to be cremated, others have no choice. It's better than being turned into dog food, or being cut up and sold on the black market.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

I have asked those who are against cremation what do you think Jesus will do for those who have died in the fire and never recovered?  Is Jesus not able to create a new body for them if they no longer have one?  To me, it really doesn't matter what happens to the shell after the soul and spirit have let it.  Either the worms eat it and the bones return to dust, it becomes fish food, is burnt in a fire, or blown up into a million pieces from an explosion, God will still create a new body, not made of our old flesh.

1 Corinthians 15:35-49

But someone will say, “How are the dead raised up? And with what body do they come?”  Foolish one, what you sow is not made alive unless it dies. 37 And what you sow, you do not sow that body that shall be, but mere grain—perhaps wheat or some other grain.  But God gives it a body as He pleases, and to each seed its own body.

All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of animals, another of fish, and another of birds.

There are also celestial bodies and terrestrial bodies; but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.  There is one glory of the sun, another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for one star differs from another star in glory.

So also is the resurrection of the dead. The body is sown in corruption, it is raised in incorruption.  It is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness, it is raised in power.  It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.  And so it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.

However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural, and afterward the spiritual.  The first man was of the earth, made of dust; the second Man is the Lord from heaven.  As was the man of dust, so also are those who are made of dust; and as is the heavenly Man, so also are those who are heavenly.  And as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly Man.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  903
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

I plan to be cremated, as I don't want to burden y wife with the onerous cost of a funeral (yes I have life insurance, but I want her to have the money for herself and not a funeral home).

Plus the idea of my body "molderin' in the ground" like the Crypt Keeper  kind of turns my gut, so nope, not for me.

The second I die I'm with Jesus anyhow, so if somebody wants to use my dead carcass as a charcoal briquette, then fire away!

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,829
  • Content Per Day:  0.85

One of the first and best-known mention of a ‘cremation’ (Burnt offering), is in the book of Genesis, where Abraham is asked by God to sacrifice his son Isaac on top of a funeral pyre  (Genesis 22:1-18).

An angel stepped in and told Abraham at the last minute to stop - God had seen Abraham’s heart and that he was willing to do anything for Him, believing that Isaac (the son of the promise) could come back to life. This proposed cremation is followed by reports of others throughout the Old Testament.

The Israelites as part of their worship to God had to perform sacrificial burnt offerings of sheep, oxen, birds etc. The animals were killed first, a ritual in its self and then they were burnt according to various rules and regulations (Exodus 20:24, Leviticus chapter 1, Numbers 7:15-87 and Numbers 8:12).

Interesting Burials which were mentioned In The Bible
1. Sarah was buried in a cave. Genesis 23:19.
2. Abraham was buried in a cave. Genesis 25:9.
3. Deborah, Rebekah’s nurse was buried under a terebinth tree. Genesis 35:8.
4. Jacob, Joseph’s father (later known as Israel) was embalmed and then placed in a coffin as was the Egyptian custom. Genesis 50:2-3.
5. The bones of Joseph were taken from Egypt during the Israelites exodus and buried in a field in the Promised Land. Joshua 24:32.
6. Eleazar the son of Aaron was buried in a hill. Joshua 24:33.
7. Gideon was buried in the tomb of his father. Judges 8:32.
8. The prophet Samuel was buried at his home in Ramah. 1 Samuel 25:1.
9. King Saul’s body and that of his sons were recovered from the enemy, and then semi-cremated to remove the flesh, but the bones were buried under a tamarisk tree. 1 Samuel 31:12-13.
10. Asahel a foot soldier was chasing Abner, when he turned round and killed him. Asahel was then buried in his father’s tomb. 2 Samuel 2:22-23, 32.
11. Abner, chief of staff, was laid in a coffin, and a funeral procession was held in honour of David’s former enemy (who had been unjustly killed). 2 Samuel 3:31-36.
12. Absalom the ‘enemy rebel’ son of King David, was killed by his chief commander, and was cast into a pit in the woods - which was then overlaid with a pile of stones. 2 Samuel 18:17.
13. King Manasseh was buried in his own garden. 2 Kings 21:18.
14. King Asa was buried in his own tomb and was laid in a bed which was filled with spices and various ingredients prepared in a mixture of ointments. 2 Chronicles 16:14. Then they made a great burning for him (burning of the spices. 2 Chronicles 21:19b).
15. The sons and daughter of Judah died gruesome deaths. They were not buried, but lay on the ground as refuse, and to be eaten by the birds of the air and by beasts of the field Jeremiah 16:4.
16. After a large battle in Israel (by attacking Gog) the bones will be collected and buried in a mass grave in the valley of Hammon Gog. Ezekiel 39:11-15.
17. Jesus was wrapped in strips of linen with spices as was the custom of the Jews and was then laid in a borrowed tomb. John 19:40-41. Praise God that death could not hold Jesus, “He is not here for He is risen!” Matthew 28:6.

Generally speaking the word ‘burnt’ and ‘people’ combined are often used in a negative connotation - often used as a form of punishment to kill or defile, (whether the person was dead or alive). An example of this is seen when the godly King Josiah defiled the altars of Baal and burned the bones of the priests - upon their own altars, so as to desecrate them (2 Chronicles 34:1-5).

Molech was a god (which we know as a demonic being - as all false gods are) who the Canaanites sacrificed their living children too, ‘passing them through the fire,' (Leviticus 18:21 and Jeremiah 32:35). This was expressly forbidden by God.

After King Saul and his sons had been killed, their bodies were rescued from enemy territory. Their bodies were cremated to remove the flesh etc and then the bones were buried, (1 Samuel 31:12-13).

Judah’s daughter-in-law Tamar was accused of playing the harlot, so Judah wanted her to be burned – but caught in his own hypocrisy, it turned out that he was the culprit! (Genesis 38:24-26). Orthodox Judaism forbids the practice of cremation. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 speaks of the resurrection of those who died in Christ, who will come back with Jesus and the rapture of those believers who are still alive. Our bodies are going to be resurrected bodies, 1 Corinthians 15:51-58 and will be different from our earthly bodies. When Jesus was resurrected, He was not at first recognised on the road to Emmaus, Luke 24:13-37 and Mary at the tomb speaking to the ‘gardener’ did not recognise Him John 20:14-17. In Mark 12:25-27 Jesus speaks about the resurrection, and says that people will be ‘like’ angels.

It would appear that it is not important how your body is disposed of - as you will get a new resurrected one anyway. What about the faithful martyrs who had been thrown to the lions and other wild beasts or burnt at the stake? If cremation is wrong then what do you suppose will happen on the day of resurrection to all the missionaries who had been eaten by cannibals? As the by-product of both these processes, their bodies will be eventually turned to dust, just the same as a decomposing body. God is the God of the impossible; but what is really important is whether you die right with God or not. Is Jesus Christ the Lord of your life?