theMaths

Is prayer effective?

The true miracle is God changing a person like you who is totally jaded toward Christians and toward Christ into a missionary.  St. Paul isn't the only person that this has happened to.  My husband once tore up my Bibles, took my car keys and prevented me from attending church, hated churches and pastors alike.  Till one day he got down on his knees in a wheat field and asked God to help him overcome sin in his life.  A year later he had an employee that had such an such an attitude problem that he was going to have to fire him.  He told him that the only person he knew who could help him was Jesus Christ.  He then led they guy in the "sinner's prayer".     

No, he didn't go oversees.  But he had been a tough nut to crack.  Once he experienced the love of God in his life and His forgiveness, he wanted others to know about it as well.  It was a 180 degree turn around.   Yes, God does answer prayer.  All you have to do is humble yourself before your Creator and receive Jesus Christ as Messiah, God in human flesh, sent to suffer and die in your place for your sins.  He will then send His Holy Spirit to live in you to fill you with His loving peace and forgiveness as well.  

• This is Worthy 1

God answers everyone of a Christian's  prayers. He might not answer the way we want Him to but according to His plan and will for our lives. Also He does not always answer in our timing.

• Loved it! 1

yes prayer is effective :-) ~satan tries to limit your prayers because he knows your prayers will limit him~

The beauty of prayer, even if God doesn't think that what we pray for will benefit us, is that it asserts God as our head. 

We are LIMBS on God's body, He is our head. Constant prayer is constantly asserting that God is our head, and it reaffirms our relationship to him as subordinates, which quels any desire to rebel against him.

Prayer humbles us, and makes us like pining children asking for help from our parents, it strengthens our relationship with the creator. 

And like what others have already mentioned is that the body is no where near as important as our souls. Our bodies are finished, God is going to replace them, what is more important is that we establish our relationship with the almighty. He is our head and a body can't function without a head. The spiritual death of secular life will eventually end in a society that will devour itself, hence all the abortion that society embraces, and things are only going to get worse. 

• This is Worthy 1

YES  Praise GOD, prayer VERY effective!

Having seeked God a good part of my life, gone through a lot of different phases, I can say that definitely prayer is what sustained me, healed me and continues to be such a blessing in my life and others as well.

Not believing in prayer is like not believing that God is who He says He is through His Word.

Prayer=communication with God is one of the most essential part of being in relationship to God

(How can you be in a relationship with anybody without communicating with  them?)

Its impossible

The same is with our heavenly  Father,maker God Almighty.

He is always there to open the door and receive us.

Its also up to us to want to.

The moment you begin to develop a prayer/communication with God, that is when God is able to open the door and re-communicate back to you.

The Holt Spirit of God communicates to us through the heart.

1 Samuel 16:7

Look all through scripture and you will find so many passages that speak about God looking at the heart of man.

Ask, Seek, Knock

Matthew 7:7 6Do not give dogs what is holy; do not throw your pearls before swine. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces. 7Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.…

Luke 11:9

8I tell you, even though he will not get up to provide for him because of his friendship, yet because of the man’s persistence, he will get up and give him as much as he needs. 9So I tell you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 10For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.…

The Prayer of Faith

James 5:16

15And the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick. The Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. 16Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man has great power to prevail. 17Elijah was a man just like us. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years.…

Hebrews 11:6

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

I have prayed and God HAS answered

I have been prayed for and God HAS answered ( I have even felt at times like i was being prayed for.)

Yes the fervent prayer of someone coming to God in faith avails much , can heal, restore transform  renew...

12 hours ago, secretopossumcabal said:

The beauty of prayer, even if God doesn't think that what we pray for will benefit us, is that it asserts God as our head. 

We are LIMBS on God's body, He is our head. Constant prayer is constantly asserting that God is our head, and it reaffirms our relationship to him as subordinates, which quels any desire to rebel against him.

Prayer humbles us, and makes us like pining children asking for help from our parents, it strengthens our relationship with the creator. 

Greetings Mr. Opossum, thank you so much for that great way of explaining things. that's a great reminder , like very much the way you explained it.   :-)

Edited by 1to3
  • Loved it! 1

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." (Matthew 7:7)

"And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint [give up]." (Luke 18:1)

"The effectual fervent [unceasing] prayer of a righteous man availeth [accomplishes] much." (James 5:16)

"And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us." (1 John 5:14)

Greetings.

Let me first say thank you for asking the question theMaths and welcome to the forums.

On to my answer.

It depends. Does God answer prayers?  Yes and no. Sometimes not getting an answer is the answer. However what I perceive you really asking is a matter of the heart and knowing our role.  Fact is no human created the universe we live in. That power that some call (God) did. That higher power is NOT subject to us.  That is not how that works.  God is the potter and we are the clay.  God is not a Genie, does not perform magic or  circus tricks. Simply put God is Sovereign. I would also say that the question itself is flawed if the only basis of answered prayer is whether a limb grows back. There are hundreds, thousands, millions of prayers that have been answered by God. I know for a fact God has answered prayers in my own life directly, and moved even when I didn't think anything was going on. I told nobody about the situation, only spoke to God and he has been faithful %100 of the time.

PS  Its also a good idea to read scriptures. It gives an outline and offers answers as far as expectations. It has been my experience that when we do not forgive others God does not hear our prayers. Like I said, it is a matter of the heart. God loves you PERIOD.

I hope my answer helps.

take care