IGNORED

Evangelism tools? (Books, training, etc)

GiftofGod

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I don't believe I've been blessed with the gift of evangelism.  In fact, I'm not sure what my spiritual gift is.  I'm also cowardly, which is something I need to repent of. However, I've recently come to the conclusion that maybe there are people I can reach now that another cannot.  To paraphrase David Platt, "how much do you have to hate someone to NOT share the gospel with them?".  

Are there any book recommendations, things I can buy and have on hand, to pass out to people?  Mere Christianity? Case for Christ? The Bible?

What methods have you found effective in sharing the gospel with unbelievers?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

There are a few things I've learned over the years.

The first is that the wellspring of all ministry is God flowing through us out to others.  It is about growing spiritually ourselves.  We can do lots of activities that maybe yield some results, but it is about working with God, being changed ourselves, and letting Him work through us that bears the most long lasting spiritual fruit in our lives and others.  Without the fruit of the Spirit, love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance (Galatians 5:16) evident in our lives, we are mostly like a sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal (I Corinthians 13:1) to people. 

The second thing I've found is that naturally talking about what God has done in my life (and just being a good example of a Christian) seems to have a bigger impact than having memorized the answers to a bunch of questions and trying to run through a particular presentation with people.  I just listen and offer to pray with people when they are having problems.  When I stopped worrying about how to force conversions and confrontation so people would have to make a choice for or against Christ on the spot and started worrying about whether or not people were seeing God in what I said and did, I felt much more comfortable and I think I started having more influence on people.  I find that most people are willing to talk about themselves (and their problems).  I find that by listening carefully, you can often discern what is of the most concern to them and often that is where God is working on them.  And by listening carefully, I don't mean listening for excuses to pick a fight over a particular sin, but rather to discern where God has been moving in their life to show their need for Him.  One of the most powerful things I've seen over the years (and it's an emphasis in our church for outreach) is looking for opportunities to offer to pray for people when dealing with something overwhelming to them.  We don't see that many conversions on the spot (but many people who now attend our church do so as the result of something like this), but our sense is that God is making Himself known to them in a fairly tangible way and that our prayers are a part of what God is doing in their life to draw them to Himself.

Over the years, my observation is that the most effective evangelists (not counting those plainly gifted as such) are those that God just naturally flows through to other people.  I think it is mostly about learning who is that special person God has created you to be, growing to become that person, and then as that unique and special person showing who God is to others through your words and actions in a way natural and unique to you.

Over my life, I've found that the most effective method for me is discerning what God wants to say and do in a particular person's life and trying to offer that to them as the person God has made me to be.  I'm in the middle of a life transition so I've been trying to figure out what various things look like now.  Lately, most of my encounters with people are when I meet people with our big fluffy friendly dog.  I just try to strike up a friendly conversation and see where they are at.  These past few weeks, I've been focusing much more on looking for opportunities to share and pray for people.  I just listen and try to discern what God's doing in someone's life.  It's not an issue of being "brave" or "cowardly", it's simply an issue of me being me being comfortable around people doing what I do naturally.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,242
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

Memorize scripture, especially the gospel references. Google up "The Roman road" (in the bible) and memorize the scriptures, about five of them, for starters. Practice on a friend in Christ, like it was for real, to see how well you do. I use no particular method to witness. Depending on who I'm talking to, I may not even quote any scripture, but only paraphrase what they need, an understanding of God's intent of scripture.  Every soil I try to plant seeds in is different. A youngster, teenager, or grey head. I try to start a friendly conversation with the mail, USPS, fed x, UPS, lumber delivery people, etc,  giving them cold bottled water and  striking up a conversation while they drink. Stores, restaurants, gas stations, etc are full of strangers usually open to casual conversation. The spirit will enable me to steer a conversation to life situations, family, kids, work, troubles etc, and I mention how the Lord has blessed me and my family, and how before I was headed down a sorry lifestyle, hanging with the wrong crowd etc. I put myself way below some pious bible thumper, not elevating myself, but conveying I'm only one beggar trying to show another beggar, where to find bread. I will never push for a decision, only suggest to not trust anyone but go home and read the bible for themselves, talk to God, listen through His word, and try to find a bible based church. I give my testimony how the Lord got a hold of me, and what different stages I went through growing in Christ. I emphasize how much God loves us and wants us to trust Him, if we would only listen to His "instruction manual" of life. When you think about it, it's not very hard to tell someone about something that has changed your life for all eternity. We all should be excited, as what else would be more important.  I'm also cowardly Gift, and sometimes I really pray myself up to witness to someone. And then, it doesn't happen. But later, when I least expect it, wham,  there comes someone the Lord sent when I wasn't "prayed up"  ready. I just talk, I just share, and give scriptures. All I try to do is plant as many seeds as possible. Then God takes over. The Holy Spirit does the convicting, I scatter seeds. I do emphasize salvation is a gift, cannot be earned, will not be maintained, but any good we can now do is because God found us, and shows His love for us mightily, and we now want/desire to please Him. I also emphasize how I was in religious churches for thirty years before I ever heard the good news, the relationship God wants for us to have with Him. When I see someone on this forum expressing a desire to spread the good news, like you Gift, I get excited, as the Holy Spirit is at work. What better life changing  topic can there be. And the incredible feeling you receive when someone does shows interest and begins to ask so many questions about their salvation. Also, it is God's word that enters into their heart and spirit that does the convicting, that plants new understanding, that helps them "change their thinking" (repent).  I use my testimony only to get their attention, it's the word that gives life. Because I'm a coward like you say, Gift, I ask God to send someone to me, crossing my path, and He does. They were always there, but now, expecting, I see them.

Rom 10:14,15   How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher. And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! ...................:)

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,525
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

23 hours ago, GiftofGod said:

I don't believe I've been blessed with the gift of evangelism.  In fact, I'm not sure what my spiritual gift is.  I'm also cowardly, which is something I need to repent of. However, I've recently come to the conclusion that maybe there are people I can reach now that another cannot.  To paraphrase David Platt, "how much do you have to hate someone to NOT share the gospel with them?".  

Are there any book recommendations, things I can buy and have on hand, to pass out to people?  Mere Christianity? Case for Christ? The Bible?

What methods have you found effective in sharing the gospel with unbelievers?

Hi. I don't believe you have been blessed with the gift of evangelism either!

Fact is I don't see evangelism as a gift at all! Especially if you are referencing spiritual gifts specifically, of which nine are shared within first Corinthians, but I digress abit, sorry.

I might get on point by stating evangelism if it is the sharing of the gospel of Christ Jesus  with an  unsaved world so that many may be found mature in Christ having the security of eternal life with God, is not a gift. It is not pastoring, it is not teaching, it is testfying, sharing as a witness to what you know. It is a command, you must testify.

You and I may follow the command poorly, we may not follow it at all to our terribly deep personal shame, but we cannot wait for some "gift" to come upon us for testifying. What talent or gift does that take,- none.

We need do the hard work of rote knowledge of some basics of the word of God for our own sake that we not become deceived again. Hard stuff hard work! And we must must see the gospel of Jesus as our salvation, then with joy stronger than any fear within us that  we may have of ridicule, go about our Lord's business which is also the business of His Father. And be holy as He is Holy, be the doer as well as the talker of all things that tell the world of Jesus and His truth His gospel. But even as a first hour born again saint we can  testify of Jesus even as a baby cries out of life's existence.

Tools? Sure there are tools, even great lesson plans for learning all of the Bible. One is available through another ministry that of Zola Levitt and is  found on their website . Look for CORRESPONDENCE COURSE: INSTITUTE OF JEWISH-CHRISTIAN STUDIES

Another simple tool that I like personally  is their tract The Roadway To Heaven a very simple Gospel presentation tract which can be found online too. See https://www.levitt.com/road/

Each of us must get past fear, know we will have some if not a lot of it always, unless we have the gift of martyrdom. Do all things in a manner that  does bring glory to God, anyway!

None of us, not one, has excuse for not sharing of the awesome gift of grace and mercy from God that we  also heard of and received by God's grace alone. And we must live it too, live the result of that awesome gift so that our life matches our talk.

Each of us is a soldier in the army of saints in Christ jesus. Each  are to stand our post and know our purpose. To defend the Faith of Jesus always giving testimony of that faith in all that each of us does, there is no falling out, no being off duty.

I suggest for consideration that sharing personal testimony on  this message board is a good place to hone one's evangelism the testifying of Jesus' gospel and how it is working in our own lives.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Thank you: GandalfTheWise, Yown, Gary Lee, and Neighbor.

I have read all of your responses several times over the last couple of days.  I thank you for the effort you took to write them.  All of you touched on a different perspective or angel and, combined, there is a lot of value here.  I'm going to copy these responses into a document for future reference and use.

I'm immediately grateful to you, Neighbor, because I had to go review the scripture again.  You are correct that evangelism isn't listed as a gift of the Spirit.  I'm not sure how I became under the impression it was.  Perhaps the roles in the body (teacher, apostle).  I see now that perhaps apostle could be our missionaries?  Regardless, roles and gifts of the Spirit are two different things.  I thank you for being the iron that sharpens another.