GodsGirl123

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

so i was reading this and maybe i didn't understand it .

Mark 3:29 - But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin. (NIV) (Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is also referenced in Matthew 12:31-32 and Luke 12:10).

Anyone can please explain what this blasphemy is ? and with example .

Thank you

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Blasphemy is defamatory remarks, and they were directed toward God such as the pharisees did in the Bible.  They said that Jesus' delivering people from demons was being done by the power of the devil!  To ascribe God's work to satan while fully knowing it could only have been done by the loving power and authority of God displays a very bitter, hardened heart.  So Jesus said you can say evil things about his human nature, because He is both fully God and was fully man, but you cannot be forgiven for saying it about his God nature, the Holy Spirit.  The pharisees were seeking to kill Jesus and were looking for any excuse, so they were trying to trick him into sinning and were just hanging around waiting for him to slip up.  Eventually they had to lie about him and make false accusations.                                                                                                                                                                         Beelzebub is a name for Satan.  I think it means "Lord of the flies".  

Mat 12:22 LITV  Then one having been demon-possessed was brought to Him, blind and dumb. And He healed him, so that the blind and dumb one could both speak and see.  Mat 12:23  And all the crowds were amazed, and said, Is this not the Son of David?  Mat 12:24  But hearing, the Pharisees said, This One does not cast out demons except by Beelzebub, ruler of the demons.

Mat 12:32  And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him. But whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, not in this age nor in the coming one.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,987
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  4

12 hours ago, GodsGirl123 said:

Mark 3:29 - But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin. (NIV) (Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is also referenced in Matthew 12:31-32 and Luke 12:10).

Thank you

It's not so much the words that are spoken as it is the underlying cause.

• The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart.  Luke 6:45

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

They hated God so much they accused Him of being evil even though they knew He is good and that Jesus was doing good by God's power and authority.  

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

Sometimes called the “unforgivable sin”, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit has attained considerable notoriety - and caused no little confusion over what it actually means.

First of all, what is blasphemy? It’s more than ordinary insults or angry words; it’s a deliberate attempt to destroy God’s reputation through slander. Now people blaspheme against God and against Christ all the time, very often through blindness or ignorance. These sins are serious - but not unforgivable, as the case of Paul proves. “Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief.” (I Timothy 1:13)

So what is different about blasphemy against the Spirit? The Holy Spirit is God engaging with the world, the Person of the Trinity who works with unbelievers to convict them of sin (through their conscience), reveal Christ to them (through Scripture or the Church), and bring them to the point of repentance (see John 16:8-11). Those who set themselves against the Father or the Son are still open to the Spirit; but those who turn knowingly against the Spirit cut themselves off from the Father and the Son as well. The reason that Jesus warns the theological experts from the Jewish Sanhedrin so solemnly about the unforgivable sin is that they are in danger of committing it (note that He doesn’t actually say that they have committed it). They think that by attributing the Spirit’s work to Satan they can dismiss the claims of Jesus (Mark 3:22); but such deliberate and calculated defiance of God's revelation is the essence of blasphemy against the Spirit.

So ‘blasphemy against the Spirit' is a sin unlike all others. It's easier to say what it isn't than what it is.
It is NOT the same as ‘grieving the Spirit’ (Ephesians 4:30).
It is NOT a sin committed by a Christian who ‘should have known better’. David sinned like that when he committed adultery with Bathsheba and murdered her husband - but even he was forgiven (II Samuel 12:13)!
It is NOT the same as backsliding. Peter denied Jesus three times - but even he was forgiven (John 21:15-19)!

Someone who blasphemes against the Spirit has reached the point of no return. They have hardened their conscience irretrievably; they have no sense of sin and no fear of judgement. They cannot be forgiven because they cannot repent; they have put themselves forever outside the reach of God’s grace. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  106
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Blasphemy  is rejection of Christ   period   never asking him to save you

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

On 10/17/2017 at 12:50 PM, Willa said:

Blasphemy is defamatory remarks, and they were directed toward God such as the pharisees did in the Bible.  They said that Jesus' delivering people from demons was being done by the power of the devil!  To ascribe God's work to satan while fully knowing it could only have been done by the loving power and authority of God displays a very bitter, hardened heart.  So Jesus said you can say evil things about his human nature, because He is both fully God and was fully man, but you cannot be forgiven for saying it about his God nature, the Holy Spirit.  The pharisees were seeking to kill Jesus and were looking for any excuse, so they were trying to trick him into sinning and were just hanging around waiting for him to slip up.  Eventually they had to lie about him and make false accusations.                                                                                                                                                                         Beelzebub is a name for Satan.  I think it means "Lord of the flies".  

Mat 12:22 LITV  Then one having been demon-possessed was brought to Him, blind and dumb. And He healed him, so that the blind and dumb one could both speak and see.  Mat 12:23  And all the crowds were amazed, and said, Is this not the Son of David?  Mat 12:24  But hearing, the Pharisees said, This One does not cast out demons except by Beelzebub, ruler of the demons.

Mat 12:32  And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him. But whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, not in this age nor in the coming one.

Great explanation Willa, and I agree with it. I too had the same question some time ago and did some extensive research on it. It appears many respected academics and scholars also hold this same view, and scriptural it makes the most sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

On 10/18/2017 at 7:21 AM, Deborah_ said:

Sometimes called the “unforgivable sin”, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit has attained considerable notoriety - and caused no little confusion over what it actually means.

First of all, what is blasphemy? It’s more than ordinary insults or angry words; it’s a deliberate attempt to destroy God’s reputation through slander. Now people blaspheme against God and against Christ all the time, very often through blindness or ignorance. These sins are serious - but not unforgivable, as the case of Paul proves. “Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief.” (I Timothy 1:13)

So what is different about blasphemy against the Spirit? The Holy Spirit is God engaging with the world, the Person of the Trinity who works with unbelievers to convict them of sin (through their conscience), reveal Christ to them (through Scripture or the Church), and bring them to the point of repentance (see John 16:8-11). Those who set themselves against the Father or the Son are still open to the Spirit; but those who turn knowingly against the Spirit cut themselves off from the Father and the Son as well. The reason that Jesus warns the theological experts from the Jewish Sanhedrin so solemnly about the unforgivable sin is that they are in danger of committing it (note that He doesn’t actually say that they have committed it). They think that by attributing the Spirit’s work to Satan they can dismiss the claims of Jesus (Mark 3:22); but such deliberate and calculated defiance of God's revelation is the essence of blasphemy against the Spirit.

So ‘blasphemy against the Spirit' is a sin unlike all others. It's easier to say what it isn't than what it is.
It is NOT the same as ‘grieving the Spirit’ (Ephesians 4:30).
It is NOT a sin committed by a Christian who ‘should have known better’. David sinned like that when he committed adultery with Bathsheba and murdered her husband - but even he was forgiven (II Samuel 12:13)!
It is NOT the same as backsliding. Peter denied Jesus three times - but even he was forgiven (John 21:15-19)!

Someone who blasphemes against the Spirit has reached the point of no return. They have hardened their conscience irretrievably; they have no sense of sin and no fear of judgement. They cannot be forgiven because they cannot repent; they have put themselves forever outside the reach of God’s grace. 

Kind of spot on... I agree more or less.

The Holy Spirit convicts. You can deny the existence of the Father and the Son (due to ignorance) and therefore blaspheme them... but once you've seen and touched the Holy Spirit, then you've been fully convicted and have been given solid proof, and have no excuse.

I must point out though, that I think blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is almost impossible in this day and age (notice that I use the word 'almost'). Jesus no longer walks in the flesh as he did nearly two thousand years ago. The Spirit was with him when he did. The pharisees had a grandstand view of the Spirit, up close and personal, yet they were so wicked that they rejected it - preferring the Spirit of Satan to the Spirit of God, even to the point of confusing the Holy Spirit and failing to understand it, believing it to be evil.

You also have to remember that Satan was on steroids at the time. This was a key point in history, and Lucifer knew it. He was desperate and working on overtime. He knew that the game was almost up so he tried his best to work his lies and deceptions. There was no way that he was going to let this 'messiah' tamper with his plans.

But of course, he never saw the knockout punch that was to come... when Jesus died on the cross then subsequently rose again.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  505
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  1

blasphēmía (from blax, "sluggish/slow," and phḗmē, "reputation, fame") – blasphemy – literally, slow (sluggish) to call something good (that really is good) – and slow to identify what is truly bad (that really is evil).

Blasphemy (blasphēmía) "switches" right for wrong (wrong for right), i.e. calls what God disapproves, "right" which "exchanges the truth of God for a lie" (Romans 1:25).

http://biblehub.com/greek/988.htm

Romans 1:25
They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator--who is forever praised. Amen.

To Blaspheme the Holy Spirit is to literally reject it as evil. Without the Holy Spirit you cannot ultimately enter Heaven:  

John 3:5
Jesus answered, "Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit.
  • Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  357
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

On 10/17/2017 at 11:59 AM, GodsGirl123 said:

Thank you

in short, the frustration of the work of the Holy Spirit, Whose purpose is to save humans; IOW, thwarting the Holy Spirit from saving the neighbor/cohabitant - especially through commitment of spiritual unrighteousness/lawlessness/wickedness

Romans 1:18 (NIV) "The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness"

Blessings

Edited by ytLiJC
  • Thumbs Up 1