Annette

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

Growing up in a pastor's home, we would have people come by unannounced throughout the day. Whenever guests would arrive, we would always boil the kettle and make tea or coffee for them. There was no set tea time. :coffee:

I was wondering what makes you feel welcome when you go to someone's house or what you do to make people feel welcome?

Home a.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

It would be all about the attitude. I can feel if I am welcome. It would be a nice gesture to offer them coffee, tea....etc and if you had anything to go with those beverages. Just sit and talk to them and make them feel comfortable.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

38 minutes ago, Annette said:

I was wondering what makes you feel welcome when you go to someone's house or what you do to make people feel welcome?

Receiving me with sincerity seems to be good enough. By sincerity I mean that if you cannot receive me, do not lie or invent excuses; it is heart breaking when I discover people lied just to avoid me.

Another thing I appreciate is to respect and value my decisions, like:

When you offer me something and I say: "I do not want it, thanks!" or "I do not like it, thanks!" and people insist and say: "It is obviously you want it... Don't be shy and take it." or "Are you sure you do not want it? (more than 2 times)".

Then I would feel welcome whenever I was in your house.

God bless you!

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,422
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

just do not ignore my presence there and keep running off and back .  It is better  to say come back later or i am in the middle of something right now.  I dislike when you go to meet someone and they one the phone half the time and although they may entertain you with their condiments ect, if the focus is not on our meeting, then i loose interest.   Show the person that you are paying attention to their person and you appreciate their presence. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.77
  • Days Won:  21

3 hours ago, Annette said:

Growing up in a pastor's home, we would have people come by unannounced throughout the day. Whenever guests would arrive, we would always boil the kettle and make tea or coffee for them. There was no set tea time. :coffee:

Home a.jpg

I'm an odd duck - I rarely actually feel comfortable at other peoples homes (introverted extrovert here lol). But when I venture out to someone's home I would feel most comfortable if they don't make a fuss. Let's just sit around and talk, offer me some water if you want, go on with your normal activities. 

Now when people come to my home, I usually put on coffee or offer them a soft drink (I keep a few around for guests). Try my best to focus on them and just make them comfortable. I don't mind having people over in my home ever, I actually enjoy it. If we're watching a movie or TV, I'll offer them popcorn and a blanket, tell them to kick off their shoes and be at home. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,157
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I have found that love ... genuine love makes paths to comfortability. In very little time people warm to me cause I love people and they sense it....

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, enoob57 said:

I have found that love ... genuine love makes paths to comfortability. In very little time people warm to me cause I love people and they sense it....

Yes, I agree. A person who is genuine and down to earth I am comfortable with. Just being who they really are.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,247
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

9 hours ago, Annette said:

I cannot think of the last time my wife and I went to friends with just two couples. Used to get with several friends and play cards or dominoes, then came the new life situation games the ladies liked. Most times, when we visit or have friends to our house, barbecue is a given, there's  several family's represented, and there's always somebody to talk to,  and a lot of noise. And a flock of kids underfoot or being chased out of my shop. Whether one or many guests, food and drinks are available, with a pot of coffee. And plenty chip dip jalapeno stuffed  pepper poppers, home made pico.. Something. Sitting out doors at picnic table or porch creates a relaxed atmosphere. Usually the ladies get together at the dining table and talk babies,kids, grand kids or where to find more unneeded stuff at a bargain. Us guys hang out side, usually in the shop, discussing tools, tractors, then our jobs/businesses. Always informal. It took us a while to finally build our house, the kids already left. We feel the Lord blessed us mightily, with a neat home, and we enjoy having guests. We try to be hospitable. I think were too lay back to create any awkward moments. Our kids decide to have birthday parties for their children at our house often, inviting all their friends, and I find strange little babies taking a nap in my bed. The kids room hundred toys are usually spread around the house, and sometimes on top. I wouldn't want it any different. I think being enthusiastic at someones coming to our house sets the mood. And letting them know how they blessed us to come.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 2

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

15 hours ago, Annette said:

Home a.jpg

Well first there is the Infinity Zero Gravity Inversion Massage Chair....

It pretty much says WELCOME if you dare go for it. Once one does, all others visiting seem to follow in turn filling in waiting time with stories of life, busy schedules, and of aches that they hope the chair will relieve. Repeat guests just kick off their shoes,  plunk on down, hit the massage program they want, and then grunt a lot as the chair does it's thing knocking the aches out and relaxing the body. After that they don't care whose house they are visiting, they're fine, and just want to try another  massage program on the selector.

Though  my house used to be headquarters for family get togethers, having been a widower for six years I had encouraged it to change to  the next generation's homes, so that they can build their own sense of tradition for get togethers. When family plus a couple of their friends do gather here,the place can allow for assembly of  about 24 to 30 of us for dinner and spread out afterward at this old  now oversize home; or even better now the family have come to enjoy going to a great local buffet at the beachfront restaurant and just feasting there, so no one has to clean up afterward! We eat, talk, run through the never ending buffet, walk the beach hang out on the pier walk and chat at the large table we take for 20 to 24 of us. 

Truth is I miss the old gatherings, but also appreciate the need for the process of it having moved on. Plus, that I am now the old geezer of the family, honored and  good for saying grace at the tables of the next generation's  food feasts.

If life here continues for me I suppose next step is that I become the one that needs assistance getting to the food table at gatherings- ha! Hope not, but hey life its what it is eh? Sometimes I think, well is it time for the assisted living facility package, those live here  till you rot, but happily, facilities and be offered rice pudding or red Jello for dessert each day.  Then I rethink, ah nope, God has blessed greatly to date, so no. If fact let's go find a summer place where it is cool, a retreat, and we will travel  some and become "the visitors", might even just become one of those short notice drop ins. Got lunch or is it late enough go go do early bird dinner somewhere before it gets too dark to drive? Ha life it is grand - when it isn't hurting too much. Even then,  well it is wondrous what God has  provided each day sufficient for my further sanctification and always just right, whether I see it at the time or not, just right, like that last shrimp taken from the buffet table feast on Thanks Giving day.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

17 hours ago, missmuffet said:

It would be all about the attitude. I can feel if I am welcome. It would be a nice gesture to offer them coffee, tea....etc and if you had anything to go with those beverages. Just sit and talk to them and make them feel comfortable.

Hi MissMuffet,

I agree with you, so much has to do with how we respond to people, as to whether or not they feel welcome. So often we can be so caught up in trying to make sure that everything is okay that we forget to take time out for the person. Reminds me of the comparison between Mary and Martha.

Blessings :)