• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

As a pre teen and a young teen I used those TV test patterns! And, later a degausser  on color tvs, tested  my own TV tubes including the dreaded "do not touch high voltage" ones in that  metal shielded box. Used  a long handled screw driver placed with the side of it against the metal and then tapped the top of the tubes that had those wired leds on the top.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

18 hours ago, warrior12 said:

Yes, they knew and they knew why also.  But they were ok as they knew how important an item it was to whoever had one.  On a note too, i was always kind of possessive with my things, as i would try to make them last and others would not care.   Even today with my tools, i am like that as a man gets attach to his own tools. It's just a tradesman thing i guess. 

Long ago it was true neighborly living where we would borrow each other tools as for whatever reason.  You would lend your hand saw sharp only to get it back with tooths missing or dull and you just dealt with it.  But it was true sharing and helping your neighbors.   

HI Warrior12,

It is interesting to read and be reminded of how things have changed.

I agree with you though, not everyone likes to take care of things, in particular, if it belongs to someone else.

Reading about tools, back home, there was one man who had the tidiest and cleanest workshop I have ever met. I think he was more like you and liked to take care of what he had. 

Hope you have a great day. Blessings :)

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Ana said:

The most welcoming thing in a home, to me, is a piano. My mother had one and we always ended up sitting with our visits singing new hymns she found. We used to have a full house, so i guess people liked this too. At one of my best friend's place, we also had the same ritual. When i read your post, these were the first things that came to mind: a piano, board games, tea, sandwiches and cookies.

Your kettle made me feel so comfortable just by reading your post. This topic was a great idea. :)

Hi Ana,

I loved reading about gatherings around the piano. We also grew up with a piano. I always loved it when my dad played the piano because when he did, he would play using the just about all of the keys. I loved the full, rich sound. 

Thank you for taking the time to reply. It was good to read your post. I am glad that you could relate to the joys of a boiling kettle :)

Hope you have a great day. Blessings :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

15 hours ago, Neighbor said:

As a pre teen and a young teen I used those TV test patterns! And, later a degausser  on color tvs, tested  my own TV tubes including the dreaded "do not touch high voltage" ones in that  metal shielded box. Used  a long handled screw driver placed with the side of it against the metal and then tapped the top of the tubes that had those wired leds on the top.

That is interesting Neighbor! Was it something that you got into on your own?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

2 hours ago, Annette said:

That is interesting Neighbor! Was it something that you got into on your own?

Well yes sort of-

My father bought our first tv in 1951 at Thanksgiving.  Sears was to deliver  it Thanksgiving eve, and failed to do so. He got steaming mad because we had company coming for a feast  that next day. We were all going to watch football games! Wow football on tv, and we were going to have it! He went to a store bought a tv, brought it home himself, and we hooked it up, rabbit ears and all. Then we spent endless hours fiddling with  antenna, vertical hold, horizontal hold and those test patterns.

Soon it was find the fuse in the tv, and soon after that don't pay the repair man open the back of the tv and start pulling tubes, take them to the in store tube tester and buy new tubes as needed. Including the dreaded scary ones in the metal box that had to be grounded before touching else you could kill yourself.

By six years later and a new color tv by mad man Muntz with that circular picture all in a grand  high fidelity cabinet, the old tv was now mine, and all I had to do to make it run was take the back off, tap it just so, on the wires to the picture tube and  wow I got fuzzy  B&W tv. Now use the speaker with the portable 45 RPM record player and I could begin to get  low fidelity almost stereo  just like that new idea  on AM radio where we could fiddle with the AM dial and pick up two stations at the same time or use two separate radios, bringing in each channel of what was called STEREO. That worked long as I didn't have the plugs into the wall on the same circuit otherwise I got feed back buzzing, or even a bit of a shock. 

And then there was my crystal radio too, no amp there, just a little home made adjuster arm on the hand made coil  with which to seek out  something on the "Air Waves".

Oh, the de-gausser.- Every time a color tv got moved it had to be degaussed otherwise the colors were all whacky, blues here, reds there, greens, well who knows what happened to greens. First time we called the repair man, watched the degaussing sorcery  like magic"process", and then we made our own degausser. They were just coils of wire in a winding in a loop that you plugged in for power making an electric magnet. Then I think we bought one of those too. 

Mom was a clean freak and just couldn't stand not cleaning behind the big Muntz tv high fidelity record player and color tv cabinet. So I degaussed the tv often. Plus she would rearrange furniture as a weekly hobby. Then it was really messed up plus the antenna connection was always crimped, cut, or frayed.

Later on  we moved into one of those "Little Pink  houses" too, only ours was green. Well that's America, little pink houses-

"Oh but ain't that America, for you and me
Ain't that America, we're something to see baby
Ain't that America, home of the free, yeah
Little pink houses for you and me, oh for you and me"- John Mellencamp

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,412
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

On 10/18/2017 at 10:20 AM, Annette said:

It's amazing what memories stick with us through the years. 

It is truly amazing when we really think of the thing called " memory".   This little 3 or so lbs of thing in our skull contains years and years of videos and incidents .  I do have a decent memory of past things that i often would show when chatting with the siblings ect.  Also i could almost never watch a movies t wice as if i get a hold of the plot, then game is over and no interest in that movie again.  I stopped watching movies and television more than a decade or so, but MEMORY also helps in keeping usuall guest entertained as you can always bring something from the past that you both can relish and tax your memory base.  

The quote below taken from Google

The adult human brain weighs about 3 pounds (1,300-1,400 g). The adult human brain is about 2% of the total body weight. The average human brain is 140 mm wide. The average human brain is 167 mm long.

Edited by warrior12

18 hours ago, warrior12 said:

It is truly amazing when we really think of the thing called " memory".   This little 3 or so lbs of thing in our skull contains years and years of videos and incidents .  I do have a decent memory of past things that i often would show when chatting with the siblings ect.  Also i could almost never watch a movies t wice as if i get a hold of the plot, then game is over and no interest in that movie again.  I stopped watching movies and television more than a decade or so, but MEMORY also helps in keeping usuall guest entertained as you can always bring something from the past that you both can relish and tax your memory base.  

The quote below taken from Google

The adult human brain weighs about 3 pounds (1,300-1,400 g). The adult human brain is about 2% of the total body weight. The average human brain is 140 mm wide. The average human brain is 167 mm long.

Wow... thanks Warrior. I remember reading something once that tried to capture just how busy our brain is at any given time, it was amazing.

There are some movies, like The Sound of Music that I can watch over again. And can almost hear the next word before it is spoken.

It is amazing though on your part, that you don't enjoy watching a movie more than once. Do you find it the same with books?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,412
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Annette said:

It is amazing though on your part, that you don't enjoy watching a movie more than once. Do you find it the same with books?

Good question.  Movies, i guess are more visual and my memory seems to find landmarks at some point and then start to piece things together again.  While it is  true for books to in some instances, i find it may take longer. What may deter me is the title which i most likely would remember and would hesitate as i may recall some of the plots in the narrative.   Books of faith though, especially the ones that has helped me to be encouraged and be steadfast i would read many times over.  One that i would mention here is ..... Precious Remedies of Satan Devices by   Thomas Brooks.

Also, i have not watched a modern movies in years and stopped buying books for a while now, since there are many that i have in electronic form that i want to read, but time is eluding me for the moment.