• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/24/1958

Who do some churches have the idea that the LOUDER the music the closer to God they will be? I admit I do not know the Bible word for word, so is there a place in the Bible that States you have to play music so loud you can hear it 5 miles away to be close to God during service? I have stopped going to 3 churches over the years because their music was too loud. There was one church my wife and I use to go to that gave out ear plugs for everyone to use. I am serious do these churches think they are closer to God when they play their music so loud? 

What is with the light shows churches have now -- I feel some churches are turning the service into a mini - concert. The last church my wife and I went to when she was not working Sundays had loud music and a light show. It did not bother my wife even though she did not think it was necessary -- we stopped going because the service hurt my ears and eyes. 

OK, I know I did not ask ONE Question -- Give me a service where they Preach the word of God USING the Bible and sing bible hymns, and you can keep your light shows and loud concert music  

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

There is a group of churches that are called Seeker Friendly.  They mimic the world to try and draw in the lost.  I have been told they get the idea from Paul's statement in 1 Corinthians 9:19-23

For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.

Personally, I am like you and have left a few churches myself due to their music and style of preaching.  I am firm in believing in another of Paul's teaching from Romans 12:1-2

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.  And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

I don't mind new worship music, but it does not have to be amplified for the words to have meaning.  I find it strange that a preacher speaks in street language.  I look for maturity in someone I sit under, something that seems to be far and few in between these days.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

I attended a Church that I really liked. It had music that was loud. It had to be loud for everyone in the big congregation to hear it. All of the music was worshiping God. I have never experienced a light show. :noidea:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,332
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

I have very sensitive ears so I have the exact same problem.  I've given up going to church.  For me it's not just churches though, there are many loud places I don't go, it's very isolating unfortunately.  Lights bother me too.

Edited by gerbilwoman

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

One church we attended for a while and liked kept playing their music really loud.  Measured on my phone it was between 110 and 120 decibels.  This is at a level most guides warn  may cause permanent hearing loss.  Even wearing foam earplugs, our son said it hurt too much to be inside the church.  I agreed, talked to the pastor, was told it was at a level they liked, so we stopped going there.   The next church wasn't quite that excessive but still seemed to believe 'louder is better'.

If the church music hurts or if your ears are ringing after the services, it's probably time to leave.  Church shouldn't try to imitate rock concerts.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

1 hour ago, pogi said:

I admit I do not know the Bible word for word, so is there a place in the Bible that States you have to play music so loud you can hear it 5 miles away to be close to God during service?

No.

I believe to be close to God means to worship Him daily, not just while in Church, but at every moment of our lives: through our actions, words and thoughts.

For Christians it is much more to be close to God, is to have Him in us. Abide in the true vine, who is the Lord Jesus Christ.

"Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me." - John 15:4

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

28 minutes ago, 4LdKHVCzRDj2 said:

No.

I believe to be close to God means to worship Him daily, not just while in Church, but at every moment of our lives: through our actions, words and thoughts.

For Christians it is much more to be close to God, is to have Him in us. Abide in the true vine, who is the Lord Jesus Christ.

"Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me." - John 15:4

I do see your point. Church is not for everyone and attending is not a salvation issue. You can have a daily relationship with the Lord without attending a Church. God is not confined to four walls.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

13 hours ago, pogi said:

Who do some churches have the idea that the LOUDER the music the closer to God they will be? I admit I do not know the Bible word for word, so is there a place in the Bible that States you have to play music so loud you can hear it 5 miles away to be close to God during service? I have stopped going to 3 churches over the years because their music was too loud. There was one church my wife and I use to go to that gave out ear plugs for everyone to use. I am serious do these churches think they are closer to God when they play their music so loud? 

What is with the light shows churches have now -- I feel some churches are turning the service into a mini - concert. The last church my wife and I went to when she was not working Sundays had loud music and a light show. It did not bother my wife even though she did not think it was necessary -- we stopped going because the service hurt my ears and eyes. 

OK, I know I did not ask ONE Question -- Give me a service where they Preach the word of God USING the Bible and sing bible hymns, and you can keep your light shows and loud concert music  

Some churches today are basically catering to the carnal; people who are really only there for the entertainment. There is little emphasis on solid scriptural teaching in those churches

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

Although I am as old as dirt, my hearing and sight are good. Last place I attended I had to wear hearing protectors. When you can 'feel' the music in your sternum, you know it is loud.

Just in my normal day to day movements, I have noticed that people appear to be a little deaf: thus perhaps the music has to be loud. Sitting on an airplane for many hours and hearing quite clearly the ear-buds from six rows in front may give us a clue. I am wondering if the common penchant for being 'plugged-in' has contributed to sensory overload, thus more are hard of hearing. Having those things in your ears for hours on end at too high a level is probably not good for long term hearing.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 10/18/2017 at 7:48 PM, pogi said:

There are many ways to find excuse to not be a part of  corporate worship of Jesus. Music seems to be the easiest excuse, too loud, too soft, music of this last century,  no music from this last century, organ music, no organ at all. And there is the problem of drums, instruments, separate parts harmonized. You name it there is an advocate for it, and another against it. Plus, it is also too bright or too dark in there, or too many people, or not enough people, too many children,  not enough children, and none are dressed right at all

Some say they are better alone at home than being with those other people, especially the ones that are different, or raise their hands in praise, or kneel  or say amen. The dissenting voices cry, why it is better to be frozen and chosen alone at home, and that Church is not important and not a salvation issue.

Really? Wrong! Wrong, wrong, wrong! Practicing the faith of Jesus is a privilege not available to all. It is forbidden to many. Saints are to go into all the world with the gospel of Jesus and then sit on our hands alone in the quiet soft light of home by ourselves? I don't think so. I know that being part of a local body of Christ is absolutely paramount to fullest  participation in  doing all things in a manner that is glorifying  our Lord. The reasons are so numerous and obvious that  it seems a fool's errand to discuss them. But, I will engage for a moment anyway.

I absolutely need the fellowship of saints in Christ united in and under the Glory that  is God. I have very personal responsibility  to encourage and support all the families of the local body of Christ that the Holy Spirit calls me to attend. I need that local body as a place to  give my gifts to God in appreciation of what God does for me every hour of every day. My personal hunch is the person that does not like to be at church is also not a particularly cheerful giver, not of money for sure; but also not of prayer, nor time for others in the fold of Jesus, and is missing a wonderful opportunity as a saint in Christ Jesus. The person that can go to  a local body of Christ, but chooses to find a reason not to is hurting them self first, the body second, and I suspect the Holy Spirit within them too. 

If the price of the glory to God that is corporate worship is the smell of some lady's perfume, or the warbling of a singer's voice, or a bad drum rythym, hey I'll suffer it gladly as the tiny tiny  tiny price I am required to pay that  hour or two of my week for the token response by me to my Lord and savior Jesus as I join in praise of Him, my Lord God  and savior. And if it is available to me, I will  be among the saints more than just a hour or two a week. I will try to be better to myself and engage with the saints in corporate worship and work throughout the week and encourage my pastors, my elders, the deacons, and the deaconesses, along with  as many  of the brethren of the local body as I can. I will read the prayer list, try to  see in my mind's eye the needs, and hear the praises and join in with others in prayer too.

Personally I  grew into loving the local church body, and because of that God has blessed me opportunity  to partake of it deeply for nearly twenty years after I too had made the sin filled  mistake to my own detriment of thinking  for some six years that I could be a Church unto myself, a church  of one, and stay away from all those inconveniences of tolerating the errors of those  "other" people. I was so very  wrong for those six years! Oh what a shame of mine. I praise God today for the couple that witnessed to this saint and encouraged him to partake of the deepest joy a Christian may have, that of gathering where the Holy Spirit gathers the saints in Christ Jesus for worship worship in song, and for lesson in the word of God, in corporate worship of God the Father, by way of praise and submission to God the Son, as led by God the Holy Spirit.

Music too loud? Get over it. Don't let the evil one ruin your privileges  and duties of corporate worship. In fact go a step further, worship ever deeper by  getting to church as often as you may, gaining the company of other saints, help them, and let them help you, all brothers and sisters in our Lord Jesus, each one members of the fold of the Good Shepherd, gathered together tightly, following  his voice and enjoying the security that is found in his fold, His church.

• Thumbs Up 1