Loud music and light shows in churches

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

I don't disagree that we need to worship together. Just because we are fellowshipping, does not give others the right to be rude or harm others. Your enjoyment of something stops when it begins to invade someone else's rights or causes them harm. If you lose your hearing. How well do you think you will enjoy the service if you don't know what the sermon is about because you can no longer hear what is being spoken? It is one thing if the pastor or you don't mind losing hearing, but other people do mind and hearing is very important when it comes to communication and jobs. Like vision, one does not need to lose either. Both are equally important

In 1 Corinthians 11 Paul teaches that people do not have the right to be selfish or rude at another person's expense. We are to be sensitive to others situations and needs. People that have asthma, are absolutely miserable if they have an asthmatic attack that lasts hours or days; that was set off by someone's perfume or cologne. Scents can choke someone severally, so that they have to be rushed to the er, and spend the rest of the day and night in the er because someone else demanded the right to wear a scent.

It is both rude and arrogant for a church to force others into listening to their worship music at an uncomfortable volume. They do it because they want people outside of the church building to hear “their” wonderful music. More like shoving your beliefs down an unbeliever's throat. People do not like being forced to listen to something they are not interested in. And it drives them further away from the gospel. And yes, people need to hear the gospel, but it should not be presented in such a way, that it drives a person away from it instead of to it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  949
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,522
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

1 hour ago, giggling appy said:

I don't disagree that we need to worship together. Just because we are fellowshipping, does not give others the right to be rude or harm others. Your enjoyment of something stops when it begins to invade someone else's rights or causes them harm. If you lose your hearing. How well do you think you will enjoy the service if you don't know what the sermon is about because you can no longer hear what is being spoken? It is one thing if the pastor or you don't mind losing hearing, but other people do mind and hearing is very important when it comes to communication and jobs. Like vision, one does not need to lose either. Both are equally important

In 1 Corinthians 11 Paul teaches that people do not have the right to be selfish or rude at another person's expense. We are to be sensitive to others situations and needs. People that have asthma, are absolutely miserable if they have an asthmatic attack that lasts hours or days; that was set off by someone's perfume or cologne. Scents can choke someone severally, so that they have to be rushed to the er, and spend the rest of the day and night in the er because someone else demanded the right to wear a scent.

It is both rude and arrogant for a church to force others into listening to their worship music at an uncomfortable volume. They do it because they want people outside of the church building to hear “their” wonderful music. More like shoving your beliefs down an unbeliever's throat. People do not like being forced to listen to something they are not interested in. And it drives them further away from the gospel. And yes, people need to hear the gospel, but it should not be presented in such a way, that it drives a person away from it instead of to it.

Paul and Jesus each teach that  I do not have  rights for which I must make demand. Instead I will  in order to advance the gossip of Jesus surrender right after right that I may be seen as different from the world that does demand such things and retaliates if their sense of rights are violated. I surrender my own cause, my own comfort, my own sense of what I deserve, because if I demand what I do deserve I die eternally.

If I look at what my savior suffered for me, because of me, how can I then state I demand that another not be loud, rude, or even smelly with perfume? I cannot, I will not if I think it through. How many times will I forgive affronts? How many times are there? That's how many.

Music loud? Bet it is rumbling low and piercing high  full volume and amplified by the numbers in the many tens of thousands at our destiny. Wonder if all the hosts  of heaven will will be treat me to  some grand LED lighting displays too? 

All that said; there is the potential that  worship ceases and show time begins when church gets showy with out worship as it's purpose.. I once worked lights for a relatively large church that had a terrific music ministry to  seniors on Friday afternoons and did Music concerts on Saturday evenings, Sandi Patty and others  "performing" or sharing there.

We had a new music director about to make his mark just as we were having Tom Netherton appear. Our new director ordered extra spot lights, special effects, and a lighting routine that was  way over the top. As Tom was introduced the house lights went down, the spots came up  and shined directly on him. He shouted out stop, put up the house lights, no spots on me. I quickly dialed up the huge heat sink rheostats to the ceiling incadescent spotlights and had the colored spot lights killed. Tom Netherton then said; better, but aren't those fluorescents up there? Turn those on and kill all those theater spots we ar here to worship together and I need to  see you, be with you, and feel the Spirit in our presence. And we worshipped together as the Holy Spirit moved upon us.

I have loved that memory for  near forty years now.

Edited by Neighbor

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  949
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,522
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 10/18/2017 at 7:48 PM, pogi said:

Who do some churches have the idea that the LOUDER the music the closer to God they will be? I admit I do not know the Bible word for word, so is there a place in the Bible that States you have to play music so loud you can hear it 5 miles away to be close to God during service? I have stopped going to 3 churches over the years because their music was too loud. There was one church my wife and I use to go to that gave out ear plugs for everyone to use. I am serious do these churches think they are closer to God when they play their music so loud? 

What is with the light shows churches have now -- I feel some churches are turning the service into a mini - concert. The last church my wife and I went to when she was not working Sundays had loud music and a light show. It did not bother my wife even though she did not think it was necessary -- we stopped going because the service hurt my ears and eyes. 

OK, I know I did not ask ONE Question -- Give me a service where they Preach the word of God USING the Bible and sing bible hymns, and you can keep your light shows and loud concert music  

So the question might be why loud or bright "whatever"? I guess. I think the controversy if it is a controversy, and I too say it is, dates far back in time all the way back to  the pipe organ and the cathedral chamber. The pipe organ can really thump deep as well as loud make your seat rumble and chest compress , while those lights those colors of the stations of the cross wow just to much beaming colors straying across the spans of space inside the "chamber". Plus the assault on the nose of the burning wax of candles oh oh my never going to get me in one of those places again. Good thing they didn't also do sacrifice on the altar burning flesh, oh my.

I too have had to walk out after just walking into a Friends Church of all places. It was one big rock show. The place was packed, but I couldn't stay in the noise so I visited a local independent church in town and there was Dr. David Reagan, and he was going to be there that night too. He was giving four presentations of end times prophecies. Okay! I loved it. Holy Spirit drove me away  from one place and into the arms of another that  had information I evidently needed for the lifting of my spirit and the enticement to study  the word of the Bible as well as worship my creator in song.

I caught three of the four presentations the first having already occurred. I have been back to that local body of Christ a few times. It is my place of worship when visiting that town. Thing is, though  I had to walk out of one church I also had to walk into another! Not use the noise as my excuse to stay home or go to the beach.  And I sat through three presentations over that day, sat so long my rump hurt, but what a lift to my spirit and and encourage  my heart and mind to study God more deeply.

Praise God for the loudness of the one church that was feeding a packed house for it led me to where I needed to be going. All things do work together for good for those that do believe on Jesus as Lord God and savior.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

On 10/18/2017 at 7:48 PM, pogi said:

Who do some churches have the idea that the LOUDER the music the closer to God they will be? I admit I do not know the Bible word for word, so is there a place in the Bible that States you have to play music so loud you can hear it 5 miles away to be close to God during service? I have stopped going to 3 churches over the years because their music was too loud. There was one church my wife and I use to go to that gave out ear plugs for everyone to use. I am serious do these churches think they are closer to God when they play their music so loud? 

What is with the light shows churches have now -- I feel some churches are turning the service into a mini - concert. The last church my wife and I went to when she was not working Sundays had loud music and a light show. It did not bother my wife even though she did not think it was necessary -- we stopped going because the service hurt my ears and eyes. 

OK, I know I did not ask ONE Question -- Give me a service where they Preach the word of God USING the Bible and sing bible hymns, and you can keep your light shows and loud concert music  

I.   Agree with you 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

Actually the loud music could cause hearing damage and even hearing loss. Our ears can only take certain amount of sound. I do not find any good reason to have such loud music or light show. I guess they do it to "attract" people. But I find it more of a distraction.

Loud music, light shows, keep repeating words - People think this is a great way of worship, unfortunately!

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

1 minute ago, ravindran said:

Actually the loud music could cause hearing damage and even hearing loss. Our ears can only take certain amount of sound. I do not find any good reason to have such loud music or light show. I guess they do it to "attract" people. But I find it more of a distraction.

Loud music, light shows, keep repeating words - People think this is a great way of worship, unfortunately!

Years ago,  lost in the memory banks?  now,   the elders/leaders of the groups of believers in Russia sent an open letter (was once on the internet) to the 'church in America'

requesting they "STAY HOME! PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT COME BACK"  a full page or 3 ,  detailing the "devil's music" the "American churches" revival in Russia had used,  and how it has ruined many lives, teens and families.

Turns out the humble believers in other impoverished and oppressed places

new better than the "smart 'Americans' " .....

Hearing loss?  No worries comparatively to evil spirits and music from them as a source.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

Sometimes I think the people in the sound booths have become deaf and allow it to be played loud because they can't hear well.  I have complained several times and they have done much better lately.  We don't have a light show or any kind of show.  

Some churches don't think music is sacred unless it was written 10 centuries ago.  The lyrics set music apart to God.  The Biblical instruments of stringed instruments, cymbals, drums, flutes,  trumpets,  bagpipes and  the shofar are not all quiet instruments.  I hate to think what they might have thought of the ancient Hebrew services.  

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  281
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

What is the criteria for worship (music),  if it is the words, it is not the music.

There is classical music, lullaby's, marching, rock, blues, jazz, hip hop, heaven metal, etc, you get my point.

So what is worship music? 

Its obviously not the words, words don't make music.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  977
  • Content Per Day:  0.21

On 20/10/2017 at 12:14 AM, TheMatrixHasU71 said:

Some churches today are basically catering to the carnal; people who are really only there for the entertainment. There is little emphasis on solid scriptural teaching in those churches

Agreed. I,  like Justin above, am as old as dirt. Grew up listening to rock music in the 60s and 70s until my mid twenties...self aggrandizing, carnal, worldly, unconverted. 

Why should I expect to see the image to that in the sanctuary of the Most High where He is supposed to be the one being glorified? For the first 10 or so years of my Christian walk I witnessed the slow but inexorable rise to popularity that type of music in the church. And it seemed to me that the more people accepted this invasion of the world into the church, the more they relied on emotion as a witness to the reality of God in their lives and less on basic faith and trust in the promises of God as found in His word. The result was a stagnation in growth and maturity. Subsequently many Who came into the churches on the back of this emotionalism were buried alive in baptism. 

Such musicians in those days that used their former worldly rock talents for evangelism...such as Larry Norman, Barry McGuire, Keith Green etc...God used and 'winked' at the means because they sincerely brought a powerful message to a new generation of people. But when such music entered the churches on a regular basis forming the foundation of 'worship'b then was the profane mixed with the holy.

Edited by brakelite

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Side note: If you attend a church where the music is at excessive volumes, take a look at using something like "Etymotic Research ER20 High-Fidelity Earplugs" from Amazon.  Unlike foam earplugs, these simply cut the volume levels by around 15dB.  They're perfect for churches and loud restaurants where you want to hear things clearly without damaging your hearing.

• Thumbs Up 1