• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

13 minutes ago, walla299 said:

Yes, it supposed to be worship, not a funeral. I hate slow drag-y music.

Anytime I visit an unfamiliar church I bring some of those disposable foam earplugs with me in case the music gets too loud. I don't understand why some places feel like turning the amp up to 11 is somehow more spiritual. Never will understand that.

I always suspect that the people in the sound booths have become deaf and can't tell that they are making everyone else as deaf as they are.

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  130
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

Well, I attend church online where I get preaching on the New and Old Testaments and Prophecy. My roommate attends with me. That is my fellowship. " WHERE TWO OR MORE COME TOGETHER..." Just saying.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 12/31/2017 at 4:34 AM, HisFirst said:

I went to one where musical instruments included washboard and "spoons".

Just  saw this post  it opened up some really wondrous memories of worship for  me. 

I love cajun sounds and the multipart harmony of the Haitian church in Creole language as well as the wonderful worship with keyboards and all sorts of instruments unfamiliar to me by the American Samoan churches I used to get to listen to and worship with them. I do miss those  wonderful groups.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

I love cajun sounds and the multipart harmony of the Haitian church in Creole language as well as the wonderful worship with keyboards and all sorts of instruments unfamiliar to me by the American Samoan churches I used to get to listen to and worship with them. I do miss those  wonderful groups.

When I saw Andrae Crouch and the Disciples, it was one terrific time in a service type of concert. Not tribal or anything like that, just good ol' mainstream gospel soul and R&B. Rest in peace, Andrae. 

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

On 10/18/2017 at 4:48 PM, pogi said:

The last church my wife and I went to when she was not working Sundays had loud music and a light show. It did not bother my wife even though she did not think it was necessary -- we stopped going because the service hurt my ears and eyes. 

Again, this is another concert performance and not a church service. This was Scottish gospel singer, Sheila Walsh. Yep, it had lights and fog machines for stage effects. It only enhanced her movements as she would take to an occasional twirl around the floor. She dressed with new wave styled clothing, and short punky cropped hair, and everyone loved her, not just the kids. She was really fantastic! I did take my specialized hearing protective ear buds purchased in a sporting goods store, just for loud concert events. Not needed this night. 

Sheila lovingly ministered in between songs, and gave her testimony of how she was miraculously spared harm when at the young age of five, her father threw her into the fireplace from going mad, as she termed it.  At the end of her set, gave a general altar call to come forward for what ever you might need from the Lord. Salvation, healing of broken hearts, and emotions, or even just wanted a hug if you wanted one. Sweet Sheila. Still going strong in the Lord as ever, and singing more traditionally accepted music. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

On 10/18/2017 at 7:48 PM, pogi said:

Who do some churches have the idea that the LOUDER the music the closer to God they will be? I admit I do not know the Bible word for word, so is there a place in the Bible that States you have to play music so loud you can hear it 5 miles away to be close to God during service? I have stopped going to 3 churches over the years because their music was too loud. There was one church my wife and I use to go to that gave out ear plugs for everyone to use. I am serious do these churches think they are closer to God when they play their music so loud? 

What is with the light shows churches have now -- I feel some churches are turning the service into a mini - concert. The last church my wife and I went to when she was not working Sundays had loud music and a light show. It did not bother my wife even though she did not think it was necessary -- we stopped going because the service hurt my ears and eyes. 

OK, I know I did not ask ONE Question -- Give me a service where they Preach the word of God USING the Bible and sing bible hymns, and you can keep your light shows and loud concert music  

David ordered hundreds of people to blast their trumpets and voices, but yes, some wisdom and moderation is called for in some places...!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.81

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:08 PM, OneLight said:

e. There is a group of churches that are called Seeker Friendly.  They mimic the world to try and draw in the lost.  I have been told they get the idea from Paul's statement in 1 Corinthians 9:19-23

For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.

Personally, I am like you and have left a few churches myself due to their music and style of preaching.  I am firm in believing in another of Paul's teaching from Romans 12:1-2

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.  And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

I don't mind new worship music, but it does not have to be amplified for the words to have meaning.  I find it strange that a preacher speaks in street language.  I look for maturity in someone I sit under, something that seems to be far and few in between these days.

This reminds me of a Song " Sounds of Silence" . a man gets a vision while he slept. After he got up the vison compelled him to go out and tell others, but no one would listen to him because they were so caught up with the glider, and  glamour of this life we live in. Kind of like the pied piper. It goes on to say 

he saw ten thousand people, maybe more. People hearing without listening an it sys they bowed and prayed to the neon god they made. Still he says the words of a prophet  were written on a subway wall. 

The song showed that the people  apathy to the  word God and those that he chose to speak for Him.  they world loved the world more than God so the went on to live after the world and all its thrills.  Like Jesus said they loved the darkness more than the light.

Many other secular songs express pain of this world  out there that reflect being lost without true direction.  One verse in a song by  Neil Dimond's " I am I said" And am lost and can't even say why leaving me lonely still.

These songs make great ways for a preacher to use for witness. The world loves these songs " but no one heard at all, not even the chair. he sings of a frog wanting to be a king but when he became one it left him Empty still. 

The world needs to come to the light to find real satisfaction  and purpose.  You find these song on U Tube. Listen to what the songs  conveys,  a real need for our savior and His guidence. True when the songs were written were still lost.   

Edited by Mike Mclees

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:56 PM, Neighbor said:

Music too loud? Get over it.

Dear brother in Christ.

Since I have been here I have read more and more of your posts, in many of the threads here on many different topics, and frankly this attitude of "I quote you", >Get over it<, seems to be your common theme as well as being blatenly "LEGALISTIC and just plain hurtful, even downright "MEAN-SPIRITED" to people here hurting, asking question, or searching for answers for growth in their faith.

For me you are the  fly in the ointment.

Believe me brother, this is no attack, but it is a WAKE-UP call or mini INTERVENTION to get to your heart.

Somehow for some reason, it seems you think being critical and all knowing at the expense of those here needing kindness and comfort, has become your theme and maybe even your agenda to be wiser and show your INDIGNATION at those you see as ignorant at the simplist of faith idea's.

I'm sad for you, for you have missed Gods greatest gift to all of us including you, to love at all costs in compassion, empathy and wonderful godly kindness.

A few of your posts you got it right, but in the overall majority your input was BRUTAL many times.
Don't ask me for examples. You can go back and read all your posts for yourself and see for yourself.

If you get angry at this post and attack me to protect yourself then we all know where you are in your need to grow in love.

If you thank me and are kind about it, I know your open and willing to change, not for me but the others here who are constantly hearing your put downs and demeaning comments.

Come on brother ...it's time to repent, and let God use you here in His love.

Posted in Gods love and my own love for you - Dave

• Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

3 hours ago, Seasoned by Grace said:

Dear brother in Christ.

Since I have been here I have read more and more of your posts, in many of the threads here on many different topics, and frankly this attitude of "I quote you", >Get over it<, seems to be your common theme as well as being blatenly "LEGALISTIC and just plain hurtful, even downright "MEAN-SPIRITED" to people here hurting, asking question, or searching for answers for growth in their faith.

For me you are the  fly in the ointment.

Believe me brother, this is no attack, but it is a WAKE-UP call or mini INTERVENTION to get to your heart.

Somehow for some reason, it seems you think being critical and all knowing at the expense of those here needing kindness and comfort, has become your theme and maybe even your agenda to be wiser and show your INDIGNATION at those you see as ignorant at the simplist of faith idea's.

I'm sad for you, for you have missed Gods greatest gift to all of us including you, to love at all costs in compassion, empathy and wonderful godly kindness.

A few of your posts you got it right, but in the overall majority your input was BRUTAL many times.
Don't ask me for examples. You can go back and read all your posts for yourself and see for yourself.

If you get angry at this post and attack me to protect yourself then we all know where you are in your need to grow in love.

If you thank me and are kind about it, I know your open and willing to change, not for me but the others here who are constantly hearing your put downs and demeaning comments.

Come on brother ...it's time to repent, and let God use you here in His love.

Posted in Gods love and my own love for you - Dave

An example of  ..." prayer and empathy, and be patient and loving with what they share." ?

Alrighty then.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

7 hours ago, Neighbor said:

An example of  ..." prayer and empathy, and be patient and loving with what they share." ?

Alrighty then.

Now that was a very Godly and receptive response BROTHER.:thumbsup:. Thank you!!!

It would be wonderful to hear many more of those kind of responses to those needing love and comfort here when they are struggling with life's issues or faith issues.

I think you would be a wonderful encourager here with a changed heart.

Many of God's blessings to you, as we all here travel this same narrow dusty path to eternal life.