• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,525
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 1/28/2018 at 10:13 PM, Willa said:

When the music gets too loud, I sit unashamed with my fingers plugging my ears and hope that someone in the sound booth takes notice.

If there is one thing I hate it is music that drags.  There is nothing more spiritual about slow music.  In fact, my mind wanders when it is unduly slow.  Worship is not a dirge.  It is a joyous celebration.  

Oh thank you for using that word dirge!

I once had a nice and serious conversation with one of our own elders. I told him I would really rather work the parking lot than listen to the music that opens the sermons. And I asked of him, what can I do to change my attitude to  enjoy it and participate in it? He said it is five dirges and a prayer. said to me I too have trouble with  the funeral like nature of it. That is why I have our own music with the youth, and the college age, and the  young marrieds, separate from the main sanctuary worship.  I later realized, hey the real oldsters are having their own  too. They are all out singing In The Garden  at their Sunday school class before coming into the sanctuary. My new wife had great trouble too, she said the spirit is not allowed to  move us here. God has led us to two additional bodies of Christ where the teaching and the fellowship is just as significant, but also the worship is just so intense. The Holy Spirit moves us we worship.  I sing and tears almost overwhelm me.  Only took some I guess forty years for me to get over it or past it and to benefit from it as I pray  and praise in song that is indeed loud  intense and so power filled.

"Dirge" a fine word that describes well why the music never got to this old former funeral director. That and the restrictive attitude placed on reacting to any that did move one to raise hand in praise. I used to  play that stuff up to five times a day year in and year out at old time style funerals. No wI hear the praise in my heart  all week long and hate to ever miss an opportunity to be with the saints in Christ worshiping. 

Recorded music is fine, but no matter how loud it does not have the power of live worship of a body of Christ gathered for the purpose of worshiping Him. That power, the Holy Spirit present with all gathered, is so very awesome! As one here often says throw those hands up  in praise of the Lord. I only add what a thrill it is to do so in the company of the local body that allows it to flow freely.

Get five hundred singing Psalm 46 and the combined spirit of the saints does move about as the Holy Spirit moves among us all. And the people jump and praise and shout out even more. The prepare to hear pray about and learn more of the word of God with practical application  for each of us.

• 9 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 10/19/2017 at 12:48 AM, pogi said:

Who do some churches have the idea that the LOUDER the music the closer to God they will be? I admit I do not know the Bible word for word, so is there a place in the Bible that States you have to play music so loud you can hear it 5 miles away to be close to God during service? I have stopped going to 3 churches over the years because their music was too loud. There was one church my wife and I use to go to that gave out ear plugs for everyone to use. I am serious do these churches think they are closer to God when they play their music so loud? 

What is with the light shows churches have now -- I feel some churches are turning the service into a mini - concert. The last church my wife and I went to when she was not working Sundays had loud music and a light show. It did not bother my wife even though she did not think it was necessary -- we stopped going because the service hurt my ears and eyes. 

OK, I know I did not ask ONE Question -- Give me a service where they Preach the word of God USING the Bible and sing bible hymns, and you can keep your light shows and loud concert music  

I am not going to say anything about this, but i will say if it glories God then its a good thing, right.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

I frankly am not thrilled with modern worship. 

Songs used to be deeply grounded in Scripture and catchy: 

“Onward Christian Soldiers, marching as to war, with the cross of Jesus going on before” 

“Praise Father and the Son, Praise the Spirit Three in One, alleluia! Alleluia”   

“Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty, early in the morning  my heart doth long for thee. Cherubim and seraphim, all bow before thee, God in Three Persons, Blessed Trinity” 

“Jes-sus, Je-sus, holy and anointed one, Je-sus.” 

The songs use to comvey truths of Scripture and impact the soul. 

Most of the more modern songs sound like bands auditioning for American Idol or trying to land a label. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Days Won:  0

On 10/18/2017 at 7:48 PM, pogi said:

Who do some churches have the idea that the LOUDER the music the closer to God they will be? I admit I do not know the Bible word for word, so is there a place in the Bible that States you have to play music so loud you can hear it 5 miles away to be close to God during service? I have stopped going to 3 churches over the years because their music was too loud. There was one church my wife and I use to go to that gave out ear plugs for everyone to use. I am serious do these churches think they are closer to God when they play their music so loud? 

What is with the light shows churches have now -- I feel some churches are turning the service into a mini - concert. The last church my wife and I went to when she was not working Sundays had loud music and a light show. It did not bother my wife even though she did not think it was necessary -- we stopped going because the service hurt my ears and eyes. 

OK, I know I did not ask ONE Question -- Give me a service where they Preach the word of God USING the Bible and sing bible hymns, and you can keep your light shows and loud concert music  

No, there is nothing in the Bible that defines how loud or quiet music in church must be.

However, Churches are the product of their culture, and loud music is the culture of the day.

Find a church that has the type of service you want.   However, the vast majority want the type of service you dislike.

That simply is how it is.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,014
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,276
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

11 hours ago, Fidei Defensor said:

I frankly am not thrilled with modern worship. 

Songs used to be deeply grounded in Scripture and catchy: 

“Onward Christian Soldiers, marching as to war, with the cross of Jesus going on before” 

“Praise Father and the Son, Praise the Spirit Three in One, alleluia! Alleluia”   

“Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty, early in the morning  my heart doth long for thee. Cherubim and seraphim, all bow before thee, God in Three Persons, Blessed Trinity” 

“Jes-sus, Je-sus, holy and anointed one, Je-sus.” 

The songs use to comvey truths of Scripture and impact the soul. 

Most of the more modern songs sound like bands auditioning for American Idol or trying to land a label. 

I also don't care much for the modern worship services.   For me, to go into a church where the service is more reverent makes me sense the presence of God more.   Be still and know that I am God is the verse that comes to mind.

I also love the old hymns, full of good doctrine.

• Thumbs Up 1