enoob57

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

This is created to split from the False Teaching thread and give the members a place where they can discuss this topic without hijacking the other thread.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  475
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,556
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Days Won:  9

1 hour ago, Abdicate said:

The sabbath was created LOOOOOOONG before any Jew was born. We are to rest one day a week and give it to the Lord, it is for OUR benefit, not God's. It is not a law, it's a gift! 

My friend it's great to rest two days a week in fact but it's not a law to a Christian. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

13 hours ago, TheMatrixHasU71 said:

Greetings all.

I noticed that there was a discussion on a False Doctrine thread regarding Saturday vs Sunday Sabbath and I thought it would be good to start another thread on the subject.

Wish you would of let me know you started another thread as I just split off the SDA discussion from the False Doctrine thread into the thread called SDA and the Sabbath Keeping

I can merge this one with that thread so it is being discussed in one place.  Let me know.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

Traditionally it is Sunday. But a lot of times a Church have services during the week. Does it really matter? I worship God seven days a week 350 days of the year.

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

For further 'research':  Barnabas writing may not be authentic  (apparently a few or several discrepancies) ....

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest shiloh357
6 hours ago, brakelite said:

As far as Col.2:14-17 is concerned it is NOT clear at all that Paul was including the weekly Sabbath day in his passage. Paul himself qualifies what things were done away in verse 17

KJV Colossians 2
17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
Only those feasts, Sabbath etc that were shadows were done away. No others. The weekly Sabbath was never a type, shadow, of anything to come, but a MEMORIAL of creation. It looked back, not forward. It could NOT have been a shadow of the ministry of Christ under any reasoning because it was established before the fall, which event came later and was the reason for Christs coming. Anything before the fall, including marriage, was holy and sacred, and was to remain so until all things were completed.

This is very bad theology and sloppy exegesis.  

First of all, "Sabbaths"  is not qualified to exclude the weekly Sabbath. To the original audience, the weekly Sabbath is intuitively included in along with new moons, and holy days.  The weekly Sabbath is included as a holy day in Scripture.  And like it or not, it is included by Paul as a shadow of Christ.

Secondly, when it comes to types and shadows, the Sabbath, Festivals and their accompanying High Sabbaths, look back and forward at the same time.   Memorials in the Scriptures have the unique feature that they memorialize what God has done and what will do.   The very root word in Hebrew for "remember"  or "memorial"  is "zikhron"  and it is a word that points forward and backward at the same time.     The Lord's Supper (communion) looks back at Jesus finished work on the cross AND according to Scripture, "shows forth his death until He comes."   So it points back to what happened 2000 years ago and at the same time reminds us to that He is going to return.

The Sabbath day is a memorial of creation, AND it is a memorial of Israel's exodus from Egypt (Deut. 5:14-15).  The Sabbath is theologically connected to the picture of redemption in the Exodus of Egypt.  The Exodus is the OT archetype of redemption and the Sabbath was given to Israel in the context of a redemptive relationship AFTER Israel was saved.  The Sabbath was given as a result of Israel's redemption.  

Jesus is the fulfillment of the picture that God painted with the Sabbath day.   The Sabbath is a picture of Christ in whom we rest.  Just as Adam entered into God's rest on the seventh day after God's labors, so we enter into the Lord's rest AFTER the finished work of Christ on the cross.  He is our Sabbath.

The SDA theology around the Sabbath day turns the Sabbath into an idol.   They have taken what is a picture of Christ and have turned it into a necessary ingredient for salvation.  The SDA, the finished work of Jesus on the cross is insufficient for salvation.  The SDA peddles a false Gospel and Paul would call that  "anathema."  (cursed of God).

Guest shiloh357
30 minutes ago, inchrist said:

And did that work out for the gentiles in acts?

And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath (Acts 13:42, KJV). 

And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God” (Acts 13:44, KJV).

So what?

Guest shiloh357
4 minutes ago, inchrist said:

Well it shows you that Christ hasnt completely fullfilled the sabbath

Jesus HAS fulfilled the Sabbath in the sense that He is the substance, embodiment and personification of the Sabbath

Under the Mosaic Covenant, the high priests in the Tabernacle would have to go into the Sanctuary and wave the first fruits offering of the harvest of Barley before God immediately following the weekly Sabbath after Passover (Leviticus 23:10-11). 

Since Christ is our High Priest who went into the Heavenly Temple, didnt offer barley before God....now did he? Instead Christ offered up the souls of men as the first-fruits

And in doing this, Christ also provided the “first-fruits” of the Holy Spirit for us as a down payment or keepimg with the wedding theme an engagement ring for when we receive our resurrected bodies on our wedding day with him.

That is just goofy, convoluted theology.   You don't have a clue about the ministry Jesus as our Great High Priest

Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

Now, do we have rest or Sabbath for the body yet? No! You havtn received yoir immoral body yet.

We have only received rest for our souls for now.

And so is the Sabbath fulfilled yet? Has heaven and earth passed away yet? No!

So why do think Paul is having jews and gentiles observe the sabbath in Acts? Because the law has not yet been fulfilled

Matt. 5:17 is affirming that Jesus came to bring the Sabbath to fullest expression.  That is how the Greek word for "fulfill" is used in that verse.  He is the fullest expression of Sabbath.

It is spiritual rest in Christ that the Sabbath day pointed to.   

Acts is not establishing any kind of theology about the Sabbath.  It is a historical narrative, not a doctrinal treatise.   Unfortunately many on this board are not theologically equipped to know the difference between a historical account and prescriptive passages that teach doctrine.  

And let me ask you this:  What is the eternal consequence for Christians who do not keep the Sabbath day?

Guest shiloh357
15 minutes ago, inchrist said:

For our souls to have rest, not for our bodies yet. 

Matthew 11:28

I will give you Sabbath (rest). Take my yoke or my burden to work for the kingdom upon you, and learn of me, reading my word, my Towrah; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and you shall find Sabbath (rest) unto your souls.

Jesus is our Sabbath rest and He embodies all that it is.  The Sabbath rest of Christ is what the Sabbath day pointed  to.   It's not about our bodies.  It is about spiritual rest.   

You have made the Sabbath into an idol.  You care more about the Sabbath day than you do about Jesus.   Your god is the Sabbath day.

Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

I am not setting aside any commandment.   Honoring the Sabbath means to honor Jesus as our final and full Sabbath rest.   You are resting in a day, as your god.   I am resting in Christ.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

-

Edited by Ana
  • Thumbs Up 1