• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  977
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  0

35 minutes ago, Sam Smith said:

Yes it is repentance, Johns preaching penetrated their hearts,convinced them they were sinners.Hard hearted Pharisees thought they were “good enough” because they were under the delusion that they kept the Law.we still have the same two groups with us today.I wonder if today’s Pharisees recognize themselves.

I don't know of any groups that believe they are 'good enough' for heaven on account of their law-keeping, care to enlighten us? 

While I'm on that subject, is not refraining from sin the same as keeping the law? Is that so wrong?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  977
  • Content Per Day:  0.21

There has been some good accurate stuff shared on this thread. With what has been shared previous...change of mind....holiness...I would like to add a little something to the mix....righteousness. What it is; whose it is; and where it comes from. Whatever righteousness is, it comes highly recommended.

Mt 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Mt 5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

First point we must all realise, is that the ‘righteousness’, referred to above is Christ’s own righteousness. Not our own, not someone else’s, not the church’s. Isaiah said our own righteousness is worthless, so what we must answer is the question “what is Christ’s righteousness?” For it is that righteousness that we must hunger and thirst for, it is that righteousness we must seek for on equal priority to His kingdom.

We all, as professing Christians, have accepted Christ’s kingdom. We have all acknowledged His propitiation and atoning death. But His righteousness? What is that? And how do we get it?
Paul answers both questions here…
Ga 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

So the Galatians were thinking that they could be justified by following the law, but Paul says it must be by faith. And he equates justification with righteousness. The cross, the shedding of blood, justifies us. Throughout Biblical history the sacrifice of the animal and the shedding of blood removed sin from being an impediment in the relationship and a wall between God and man. By grace we are ‘accounted’ righteous in the sight of a holy God, and we then have free access to the throne of grace.

But did God desire that Israel continually sin because they had a “get out of jail free card” grazing in the back paddock? Not at all. In fact several times God showed His great displeasure in the rivers of blood that constantly flowed from the temple altar.
Isaiah 1:10 ¶ Hear the word of the LORD, ye rulers of Sodom; give ear unto the law of our God, ye people of Gomorrah.
11 To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.
12 When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts?
13 Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.
14 Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.
15 And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood.

What is going on here? It was in Eden that God Himself set up the sacrificial system. And a whole range of various sabbaths and holy days and services and sacrifices for the express purpose of gaining forgiveness, yet here is God saying He wants them to stop? What’s missing? Isaiah in the next few verses gives the answer. And after, John the Baptist confirms this.

16 ¶ Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil;
17 Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.
18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
19 If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land:
Matthew 3:7 ¶ But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

Php 3:7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
9 ¶ And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

Righteousness is holiness; likeness to God, and God is love. (1 John 4:16) It is conformity to the law of God, for “all Thy commandments are righteousness” Psalm 119:72, and “love is the fulfilling of the law”. Rom. 13:10
Righteousness is love, and love is the true light and life of God. The righteousness of God is embodied in Christ, and we receive righteousness by receiving Him.

2 Peter 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

It has been said that we take but two things to heaven with us from this world. The souls we have have helped save through our witness, and our characters. Eternity is dependant upon what characters we develop now, whether Christ’s or the prince of this world. That character is dependant upon repentance...a change of mind as has been mentioned several times. And that righteous character is essential to our eternal destinies. 
Eph.4:17 ¶ This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,….22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Thus righteousness is both imputed, (justification) and imparted (sanctification.) Both are essential, both are Christ’s, and both can be ours if we have but faith.
Rom.5:17 For if by one man’s offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

Romans 8:1 ¶ There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit…4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

2 minutes ago, brakelite said:

We all, as professing Christians, have accepted Christ’s kingdom.

Few, rather,  and even fewer understand this. (according to God's Word)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

On 10/22/2017 at 4:46 PM, angels4u said:

If there is a man or woman who has been trying to live a Christian life and has no joy in it, and no victory in it, and no song in it – I know the reason.  It is that they have never repented.  They have started wrong.

Simple,  truth, from Scripture. (from the OP quote)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

3 hours ago, brakelite said:

I don't know of any groups that believe they are 'good enough' for heaven on account of their law-keeping, care to enlighten us? 

While I'm on that subject, is not refraining from sin the same as keeping the law? Is that so wrong?

I would consider it an honor to “ enlighten “ you. The “ good enough”, self-righteous people do not belong to     Any particular group.  No “ Church of Latter Day, Freewill Pharisees” exists anywhere.They are mixed together,kinda like wheat and tares.Millions of them attended church today ,sitting in pews, self-satisfied and being ignorant of the purpose of Gods Law to show them to be bankrupt  , foul sinners in  Gods view. They can’t keep Gods Law so they grab hold of it and reduce it to a level they think they can keep.They are still blinded living in their Fools Paradise. Until you are brought to the point in your life where you identify with the publican who proclaimed.. “..Lord, have mercy on me a sinner” your heart is not ready to seek Salvstion.The first half of Paul’s Gospel thAt saves involves seeing you are helpless sinner that had to have a Savior to pay the price for their sins.....The group who unknowingly live in their Fools Paradise are Church- goers and non church- goers alike. They will stand before their Maker reciting their list of all the good things that they had done and all the bad things they did not do. Paul said we will be judged by the Gospel he preached.Did we BELIEVE it?  Both parts? Not just an intellectual nod, but a true repentant ,heartfelt belief.

In regard to the second part of your post, “ refraining from sin “ is always good , but it won’t save you. If you have been saved by believing the Paul’s Gospel in 1 cor15:1-4 if you avoid sinning you will avoid chastisement

Be sure to check back for further “ enlightenment”...... I live to serve ,wise-guy!

• Haha 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00

Let's please remember to keep it civil here. This is a study group thread, not an area for contentious debate.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi all,

Might I enter the conversation and study  for a moment to share of a resource that I think expands the mind from thinking merely of self or of others for that matter when trying to define and apply repentance?

I suggest repentance is not of self but of God, least repentence unto life is. 

While I might rattle on  I prefer to only give two links,  from the archives of Charles Spurgeon, for consideration. Whether one ends up with some agreement or in great disagreement with his presentations I think the time in them will be worth the effort for it will help define repentance types if nothing else.

Two links: https://archive.spurgeon.org/sermons/0044.php Repentance Unto Lfe

and the shorter one: http://www.spurgeongems.org/vols46-48/chs2743.pdf  Mistaken Notions About Repentance

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  113
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

A few years ago, someone was telling me that repentance was over hyped...water baptism is what was needed....or such.  I wrote back to them my thoughts on the need to repent, and why it is important for all believers...... some of this you stated in the OP, and I hope this is in agreement with your OP:

Why is “repentenc” necessary prior to water baptism. 

IF we understand that water baptism is a symbolic act giving "witness" to a spiritual rebirth, then we can understand the need for "repentance." Our spiritual rebirth into Jesus can not be seen/witnessed by the naked eye, thus Jesus commanded that we be water baptized, and, in this way, we profess to the Church and the World that we have become His disciples. The forgiveness of sin HAS ALREADY occurred.......Water baptism IS NOT unto salvation. It IS a "witness" OF our salvation to the Church, and to the World. So why would Jesus want us to do this? Let Him tell us Himself:

Matthew 10:32) Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
33 .) But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

Luke 12:8) Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God:
9 .) But he that denieth me before men shall be denied before the angels of God.

Ok, what about repentance............

The first word Jesus preached in public was “repent”………..

Matthew 4:17) From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Look at what is said in Acts 4:16) Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost. 17 .) For as much then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God? 18 .) When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

And again in Acts 20:20) And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house, 21 .) Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

So, in Acts 2:38, when Peter said: “Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.” He was well in line with the teaching of Jesus…….This is not a new concept/teaching…….consider:

Proverbs 28:13)He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso 
confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.

John taught this as well……consider:

1st John 1:6) If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

7 .) But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 8 .) If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 .) If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Again, consider what Luke wrote……….Luke 15:10) Likewise, I sa y unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth. And in the 13th Chapter, Luke records this…..from verse 3) I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

And Peter taught in Acts 3:19) Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

You can decide for yourselves IF we should "repent" of our sins..........as for me and my house we will with a sincere and contrite heart repent of our sins and pray that God will be faithful to forgive us of our sins.....

AND we will be water baptized because Jesus said we were to be.......and to PROCLAIM to the Church and the World that we are His disciples.

God bless you each and every one.

• Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  340
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  16,828
  • Content Per Day:  4.76
  • Days Won:  81
  • Birthday:  04/02/2000

On 10/22/2017 at 5:46 PM, angels4u said:

By Gipsy Smith 

If there is a man or woman who has been trying to live a Christian life and has no joy in it, and no victory in it, and no song in it – I know the reason.  It is that they have never repented.  They have started wrong.

Repentance is the most neglected doctrine in the New Testament and the most unpopular.  People do not like to be called to repentance and you do not often hear it preached.  And yet the Bible is a handbook of repentance.  It enforces it, commands it, and so demands it that no substitute can be accepted for it.

Over sixty times the Scriptures enforce it, and all the Epistles are written to show men how to repent, so that no one need be in a fog as to what repentance means, yet multitudes of people are.

A spurious repentance means a spurious Christian life, and the reason many church-goers have no joy and peace in the Holy Ghost is because they do not obey the Scripture – “Repent ye, and believe the gospel” (Mark 1:15).

You ask, “What is repentance?”  It is not conviction of sin.  Conviction is an element of repentance but you can be convicted without repenting.  No one repents until he is convicted, but not all who are convicted do repent.

Conviction is not enough.  It is not repentance.  And, “except ye repent, ye shall…perish” (Luke 13:3).  Is sorrow repentance?  No, it is not enough to be sorry for your sins.  Something more than tears is needed.

If repentance is not conviction, and not sorrow, what is it?  Is it promising to do better?  No.  Some of you have been doing that for years and you are further from God than ever.

What is repentance?  Repentance is turning from sin to God.

Repentance is getting hold of that which is your curse by the hair of its head and tearing it out by the roots.  Pride is one of them.  Pride can be as damning as drunkenness – and is.  There is pride of face, pride of place, pride of grace, and pride of race.

We need saving from our good self, our religious self, our spiritual self – as much as from our bad self.  Satan is very subtle and if he cannot hinder by our badness, he will hinder by our goodness.  If he cannot hinder us by our depths, he will hinder by our heights.  If he cannot alienate us from God, he will hinder us by our self-righteousness, and if we are not careful he will come to us as an angel of light.

Pride, self-righteousness, sham, fraud, hypocrisy, lust, duplicity – the sin in your life which enslaves you, let it go.  Kill it – and all other things in your life that are wrong will slink away like so many whipped curs.

What is repentance then?  It is the moral response of the awakened soul to the call of God, the home of the soul.  Have you repented?  Have you turned from sin unto God?

“Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die:  for I have not found thy works perfect before God.  Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent…As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten:  be zealous therefore, and repent” (Rev. 3:2-3, 19).

That is the correct definition of repentance. Repentance is a 180, from doing the will of the devil to doing the will of God.

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  510
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,178
  • Content Per Day:  1.46
  • Days Won:  1

I believe repentance is a turning from self to God. 

Much love in Christ, Not me

• Thumbs Up 1