IGNORED

Do You Live Close to Where you Were Born?

Annette

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/09/1965

I always call Belfast home even though I've been living in Scotland 22. Years if I'm going to Ireland for a few days I always say I'm going home for a visit 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

15 hours ago, ayin jade said:

Norway was cool. I saw the ancestral farm where my grandpa was born, which is now in the hands of other family members. I met all sorts of cousins etc over there. I was even a paid fruit picker on another farm too one summer. Fun job. Camped in hardangervidda (largest mountain plateau in europe) which is above the timberline. Gorgeous wild area. 

Alaska is the same lattitude as norway but much colder due to the lack of the gulf stream that norway gets. I could swim in the fjord in norway but I couldnt swim in alaska. Alaska is also very wild. I love the frontier. So beautiful there too. I actually got paid to go camping in the wilderness of alaska. Ok so I had to work too lol but still it was like a vacation to be out there. I was in sitka, the old russian capital. 

Hi, Ayin Jade, it was so good to learn more about Norway and Alaska. Thank you for taking the time to share. 

It must have been amazing going back to the farm where your grandpa was born and meeting family overseas. I often wonder about families when they move across the world like that, what a family reunion must be like. Sounds like you have had some very interesting experiences in life, from the mountains to the gulfs. I loved the contrast between swimming in Norway and Alaska. 

Hope you have a great day! :)

13 hours ago, other one said:

We have a family reunion every year.  Have since 1959.  This year there were about a hundred of us.... aunts uncles cousins and their families.  People come from all over the country. 

I graduated with 45 people and at our 50th class reunion there was about 30.  36 of us started in the first grade and went through all 12 years together.

In college we had a group of 4 couples that was very close....   all 4 couples got married in 1970 and keep in touch.  One couple we live in the same town and attend the same church and eat out nearly every Friday night....  I have been blessed with a very close relationships with both family and friends

Btw all4 couples are still married,  had two kids each and all are believers... even our kids.

It is great to read and see that there are still people who value family and friendships. 

Reading about a reunion of a hundred people, I am reminded of my husband's family. Before we were married, he invited me to come along with him to a surprise farewell that they were having for his uncle. I guess I figured it would just be a couple people gathering to say bye and enjoy the evening together. Turned out that they had hired a hall. I could not believe that most of the people in that hall were all related. It was quite an adjustment for me marrying into such a big family as growing up it was mostly just my mom, dad, brother and I with our family being overseas. 

It was awesome to read that you still have reunions with family each year. How do you work out where and when you are going to meet up? It is great to read about people taking the time to spend with one another and be there for each other. It would be great just to sit in on such a reunion and listen to all the stories and memories that are shared when people start reminiscing. 

At times I think that God just adds in extra blessings along the way. I loved the story you shared about all four couples getting married at the same time, still together with their spouse and living their lives as an example to others. 

I appreciate you sharing Other One :)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,064
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

1 hour ago, Annette said:

It is great to read and see that there are still people who value family and friendships. 

Reading about a reunion of a hundred people, I am reminded of my husband's family. Before we were married, he invited me to come along with him to a surprise farewell that they were having for his uncle. I guess I figured it would just be a couple people gathering to say bye and enjoy the evening together. Turned out that they had hired a hall. I could not believe that most of the people in that hall were all related. It was quite an adjustment for me marrying into such a big family as growing up it was mostly just my mom, dad, brother and I with our family being overseas. 

It was awesome to read that you still have reunions with family each year. How do you work out where and when you are going to meet up? It is great to read about people taking the time to spend with one another and be there for each other. It would be great just to sit in on such a reunion and listen to all the stories and memories that are shared when people start reminiscing. 

At times I think that God just adds in extra blessings along the way. I loved the story you shared about all four couples getting married at the same time, still together with their spouse and living their lives as an example to others. 

I appreciate you sharing Other One :)

It is the first Sunday in August and always in Ada Oklahoma, (where I was born)      My grandmother's family had 11 kids that made it to adulthood.   My dad died about two months before I was born....    we lived across the street from my grandmothers baby brother (two years younger than my dad).   His wife died and my mom started babysitting his kids after school.   Being family we all knew each other and when I was about 5, they decided to get married which put us right in the middle of the whole family.   ended up with about 30 first cousins and we lost count of the second and third...     We've had as many as 200 at the reunion one year and we occasionally find new cousins once or twice removed as the bunch of us travel the country.    All in all, my personal family had close to a Beaver Cleaver kind of home from the time I was 5.   Older brother and sister.  We have always had a very close extended family.         Many memories of three families (six adults and 5 kids) piling into a car and driving from Ada to Amarillo to visit two of dad's brothers and their kids....    Everyone had a kid in their laps.....   sure miss those good old days.

Interestingly, with the original 11 brothers and sisters gone, we still have so many that attend..

• This is Worthy 1

15 hours ago, angels4u said:

6000 km  flying...

That is quite a distance away, Angels! :) Do you still have family living so far away from you? 

It has been great having people here responding and learning a bit more about the people here at Worthy.

I used to love the beginning of a new school year when I would meet new students and get to learn more about them and their families. I love how different each of our stories are.

Hope you have a great day. :) 

6 hours ago, Sinbad said:

I always call Belfast home even though I've been living in Scotland 22. Years if I'm going to Ireland for a few days I always say I'm going home for a visit 

That is interesting Sinbad. I find myself still referring to home when I speak about Zimbabwe, where I grew up. Though I know that we are now living in the States. I just wondered if it is something that will always be "home" which is why I asked you the question...

Hope you have a great day :) 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  03/09/1965

3 minutes ago, Annette said:

That is interesting Sinbad. I find myself still referring to home when I speak about Zimbabwe, where I grew up. Though I know that we are now living in the States. I just wondered if it is something that will always be "home" which is why I asked you the question...

Hope you have a great day :) 

Yes Annette Belfast will always be home ? 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, other one said:

It is the first Sunday in August and always in Ada Oklahoma, (where I was born)      My grandmother's family had 11 kids that made it to adulthood.   My dad died about two months before I was born....    we lived across the street from my grandmothers baby brother (two years younger than my dad).   His wife died and my mom started babysitting his kids after school.   Being family we all knew each other and when I was about 5, they decided to get married which put us right in the middle of the whole family.   ended up with about 30 first cousins and we lost count of the second and third...     We've had as many as 200 at the reunion one year and we occasionally find new cousins once or twice removed as the bunch of us travel the country.    All in all, my personal family had close to a Beaver Cleaver kind of home from the time I was 5.   Older brother and sister.  We have always had a very close extended family.         Many memories of three families (six adults and 5 kids) piling into a car and driving from Ada to Amarillo to visit two of dad's brothers and their kids....    Everyone had a kid in their laps.....   sure miss those good old days.

Interestingly, with the original 11 brothers and sisters gone, we still have so many that attend..

This is a great reminder that family really is important. Thank you for sharing :)

It must be something meeting up with a stranger, who then turns out to be family!

Has anyone put anything down in writing to keep and pass on to family members?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,064
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

2 minutes ago, Annette said:

This is a great reminder that family really is important. Thank you for sharing :)

It must be something meeting up with a stranger, who then turns out to be family!

Has anyone put anything down in writing to keep and pass on to family members?

We have a geneology book as to who's kids of who...    I don't know of any real family history.   Maybe we are at the point of needing to do that.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

I was born in Texas and now live in Arkansas

• Thumbs Up 1