IGNORED

Do You Live Close to Where you Were Born?

Annette

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,053
  • Content Per Day:  15.47
  • Days Won:  0

I don't really have a family anymore since I was disinherited which I did not find out until my mothers funeral.  The closeness I had with my wife's family is mostly gone because everyone has kids, and their kids are having kids, and my wife and I are childless losing two in pregnancy.  As for friends, since work has kept me on the road at times, I've given up making friends.  I get form letters from college friends telling us how great their lives are.  I don't count people on Christian Forums because they'll turn on you the minute you don't agree with them.  I'd be happy living as a hermit studying God's word and playing with any number of dogs.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

Born in west central Wisconsin, parents moved between Missouri and Indiana (for education) when I was little, and then back to a farm in Wisconsin (outside a little unincorporated "town").  Went to school about 2 hours away, got married and went to grad school in Iowa and then worked at that university for awhile.  Moved back to southern Wisconsin about 20 years ago.

My wife fell in love with mountains hiking the AT a few years ago.  We may end up in the mountains some day.  I like rural areas and wide open spaces.  I tend to feel trapped in traffic and crowds.  For about the last 20 years, I had about a half mile walk to work.

Edited by GandalfTheWise
more info.
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

21 hours ago, Jam2b40 said:

I was born in Texas and now live in Arkansas

Hi Jam2b40, thank you for taking the time to share. It has been interesting to read through the post and see how people have moved about in their lives. I know that for some people it is much harder for them to move than others. 

Hope you have a great day :) 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Thank you Annette. 

I lived in the same county I grew up in until I was 36 years old. Then I moved to another part of Texas for four months. After that I moved here to Arkansas. I could have lived where I was for my whole life, except for extreme family dysfunction and some abuse, and the economic situation in our part of Texas was not good. I relocated to get away from some bad family and to have a fresh start is an area with lower cost of living and opportunity for more jobs. I am able to earn a little more here in Arkansas that I was where I was at because there are more possibilities here.

I love where we are now, and I feel more safe than I have since I was a very small child.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

I don't really have a family anymore since I was disinherited which I did not find out until my mothers funeral.  The closeness I had with my wife's family is mostly gone because everyone has kids, and their kids are having kids, and my wife and I are childless losing two in pregnancy.  As for friends, since work has kept me on the road at times, I've given up making friends.  I get form letters from college friends telling us how great their lives are.  I don't count people on Christian Forums because they'll turn on you the minute you don't agree with them.  I'd be happy living as a hermit studying God's word and playing with any number of dogs.

Hi Saved.One, thank you for taking the time to share.

I am sure there must be so many hurts that come up when you think of family: both the family that you knew and the family that you never had the opportunity to get to know. 

I was encouraged as I continued to read and saw that despite what you have gone through that you have held on to God and that He is your anchor. There have been many times in my life when I have faced situations that I have had to hold on to God as my strength and anchor. 

I love the words to a song sung by Ryan Stevenson and was reminded of them again as I read through your reply.

In the eye of the storm, You remain in control
And in the middle of the war
You guard my soul
You alone are the anchor
When my sails are torn
Your love surrounds me 
In the eye of the storm
When the solid ground is falling out from underneath my feet
Between the black skies, and my red eyes, I can barely see
When I realize I've been sold out by my friends and my family
I can feel the rain reminding me
In the eye of the storm, You remain in control
In the middle of the war, You guard my soul
You alone are the anchor, when my sails are torn
Your love surrounds me 
In the eye of the storm

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, other one said:

We have a geneology book as to who's kids of who...    I don't know of any real family history.   Maybe we are at the point of needing to do that.

It would be awesome. :)

On 10/24/2017 at 9:29 AM, Abby-Joy said:

Hi, Annette ... you're welcome.  For obvious reasons, I don't give exact location.  But I see a mixture... of differences and overall similarities, if that makes sense.  Obvious differences would be accents, and depending on locations (city or rural), the cultural differences are more evident.  I prefer country folk to city.... more kindness, more laid back, not so snooty (lol) and not too busy to make eye contact and say hello .... I like when people will wave, smile, tip a hat... that sort of thing.... or a country store where people stop, sit, and visit awhile.  Very nice... country girl, all the way! :) 

The not-so-fun part about moving a lot is not feeling like you have roots anywhere.  I think that makes my relationships with my children... and especially my relationship and identity in Christ all the more precious!

Hi Abby-Joy, 

I understand your need to be careful in putting something down in writing as to where you are at. 

I enjoyed the friendly description of country life.  I think if I had to choose between living in the country or in the city, I would definitely choose the country :)

I am glad that you have the opportunity to now develop those roots and establish a connection with your own family and most importantly an identity in Christ. 

On 10/24/2017 at 10:16 AM, GandalfTheWise said:

Born in west central Wisconsin, parents moved between Missouri and Indiana (for education) when I was little, and then back to a farm in Wisconsin (outside a little unincorporated "town").  Went to school about 2 hours away, got married and went to grad school in Iowa and then worked at that university for awhile.  Moved back to southern Wisconsin about 20 years ago.

My wife fell in love with mountains hiking the AT a few years ago.  We may end up in the mountains some day.  I like rural areas and wide open spaces.  I tend to feel trapped in traffic and crowds.  For about the last 20 years, I had about a half mile walk to work.

Hi Gandalf,

Great reading through your reply, it is great that you got some opportunity to travel and in doing so discover what it is that both you and your wife have in common! 

So many times I hear of couples that have such different interests coming together, it is great that you both enjoy hiking! And until such a time that you may move to the mountains, it is a blessing that you live so close to work. 

Blessings :) 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/24/2017 at 11:48 AM, Luke11 said:

Yeah I live in the place I was born maybe like to move somewhere else when I get a bit older though.

Hey Luke, I think its great that you have the privilege of being where you were born, so many memories that you are surrounded by. And of course, there is always an excitement about the idea of getting out and seeing new places. It is amazing how people have become more mobile and able to travel.

Blessings :)