Questions regarding faith

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  124
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Hi, so, I am a Christian and I always loved God and I am thankful to Him for everything.

But there's a question. I have Scrupulosity (a type of OCD) and I often think that when I forget thinking about God (doesn't mean what. An image of Jesus or the Bible or the Cross, or something) it means that I began being too attached of this world.

When I do something, like a school project I feel proud for what I did. Is this bad?

When I do other things I forget thinking about God. Does this mean I was to attached of this world?

I do then compulsions (for example I ask for forgiveness) to be sure that God isn't mad at me.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

Looking in the Bible in the garden of Eden, God would walk with Adam at particular times of the day, not all of the time.  As a practical matter, our mind will be focused on other things things during the day.  When we are cooking, eating, working, studying, reading, talking with other people, we must of necessity focus our mind on what we are doing.  I think the issue is when we let urgency and distractions become the rule in our lives and we rarely have God in our thoughts at all (unless something goes wrong and we need something).  Christians need to have a balance between times of prayer, meditation, Bible reading, etc. where we are focused on God and the times where we are going about the tasks of life.  It think it is about cultivating a lifestyle of walking with God where we are aware of His presence on an ongoing basis.  We will of necessity think about other things, but as a habit, our mind will naturally turn to God and His things when we are idle.

I see nothing wrong with feeling satisfaction in a job well done.  I think the problem arises when we start to value ourselves primarily for those things or see ourselves as better than others when we do something they cannot.

Our forgiveness is based on what Jesus did for us, not on how emotionally or sincerely or how often we ask for forgiveness.  The important thing is that being a Christian is not so much about sin management; it is about being a new creation from whom good works and deeds naturally flow out of us.  The lessening of sin in our lives is due to growing and maturing as a Christian.  We do not become a good Christian because we stop sinning;  we stop sinning because we have become a good Christian.  Our primary focus should be on the things that help us grow spiritually.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, mat007 said:

Hi, so, I am a Christian and I always loved God and I am thankful to Him for everything.

But there's a question. I have Scrupulosity (a type of OCD) and I often think that when I forget thinking about God (doesn't mean what. An image of Jesus or the Bible or the Cross, or something) it means that I began being too attached of this world.

When I do something, like a school project I feel proud for what I did. Is this bad?

When I do other things I forget thinking about God. Does this mean I was to attached of this world?

I do then compulsions (for example I ask for forgiveness) to be sure that God isn't mad at me.

God knows your illness better than you do. God has a tremendous amount of grace and mercy. If you are a genuine born again Christian which sounds like you are nothing can take you out of His hand. That means you are saved. Did you know that OCD is called the doubting disorder? You are going to have doubts because you have OCD but that does not affect your love of God and your salvation.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,014
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,269
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Agree with the above posts.  The Lord is always with you, even if sometimes you must concentrate on doing something else.   God is omnipresent... everywhere, all at one time.   Even if you are having some fun or doing an activity...the Lord is with you and loves you.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.64
  • Days Won:  327

Welcome Mat

"When I do something, like a school project I feel proud for what I did. Is this bad? "

No,it is not bad    you should feel a sense of gratification in doing well in school

"When I do other things I forget thinking about God. Does this mean I was to attached of this world? "

No it does not mean you have become "OF" the world....THe Scriptures say do not be "OF" the world but also that we are "IN" this world .....remember that you are not just a body with a mind,you are also spirit,as you feed your spirit with the Word of God you are learning ,growing & your spirit is Indwelled by the Holy Spirit,so you are HIS

"I do then compulsions (for example I ask for forgiveness) to be sure that God isn't mad at me."

God is not mad at you ,He Loves you     Your sins are forgiven and if you want to ask forgiveness to repent whenever you want to,once is enough and not mandatory because he knows your hear,He hears what is in yoyr heart& mid and it is not necessary to ask over & over & over.....you are forgiven before you even say it......He Hears you the very first time and HE LOVES you exactly as you are!!!!                  With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,396
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

On 10/25/2017 at 12:45 PM, missmuffet said:

God knows your illness better than you do. God has a tremendous amount of grace and mercy. If you are a genuine born again Christian which sounds like you are nothing can take you out of His hand. That means you are saved. Did you know that OCD is called the doubting disorder? You are going to have doubts because you have OCD but that does not affect your love of God and your salvation.

On 10/26/2017 at 2:35 PM, kwikphilly said:

God is not mad at you ,He Loves you     Your sins are forgiven and if you want to ask forgiveness to repent whenever you want to,once is enough and not mandatory because he knows your hear,He hears what is in yoyr heart& mid and it is not necessary to ask over & over & over.....you are forgiven before you even say it......He Hears you the very first time and HE LOVES you exactly as you are!!!!                  With love-in Christ,Kwik

Thank you both for your posts. It made my morning. I was raised in the church so this is all something I've known, but it isn't always present in my mind. The reminder was much needed for me, and God bless both of you for being the one to say it.

Anyway to address the original poster's worries, I agree with what's been said here. All I can really add to it is that when you do a good job on anything you can remember to thank God for the abilities you've been given that allowed you to do well. Every talent we have is a blessing from God. He very much does give us the strength to persist when attentions and energy start to falter, so I do like to thank Him as often as my mind remembers. John 15:5 as food for thought.  "I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.99
  • Days Won:  21

Hi there! Really great answers here. I hope you feel encouraged.

Having this kind of affliction might bother some of us some of the time as well, though we do not really notice it often.
Humans do have some weird ways and the penchant for second-guessing themselves and having to have everything in exact order and often worrying about the things we think we forgot. Well I guess dogs chase their tails as well.
There have been some quite famous people with this kind of affliction; they achieved great things. Howard Hughes comes to mind. A most amazing aviator and designer - his design still competes in the air races in the USA. (Check out Mr. Wright of Oregon)

All of our various afflictions are a great tool for Satan's emissaries to harp on. If you recall the old 45 and 78 LP records you will remember when a scratch caused the thing to keep playing a few bars of music over and over again. If you threw something at the player, it would jump back into the 'groove' again and play normally.
So if I get this way; kinda stuck in repeat, I have found a way to 'get back in the groove' again. I give myself a 'jolt' so to speak. And have another thought.

But first; Is what I am doing/thinking a CONVICTION by the Lord? Thus needing a bit of behaviour modification?
OR; Is what I am doing/thinking bringing CONDEMNATION and a feeling of negativity or guilt?

The Lord does not give us guilt trips. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.64
  • Days Won:  327

He very much does give us the strength to persist when attentions and energy start to falter, so I do like to thank Him as often as my mind remembers. John 15:5 as food for thought.  "I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."                                                AnOrangeCat

:amen:                           Praise Jesus!                                                                                     With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Thumbs Up 1