IGNORED

Are the horsemen in Zechariah 6 the same horsemen in Revelation 6?

Paul River

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  41
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

One of the intriguing images in Revelation is the four horsemen. Who are they and what are their purpose (good or bad) as the seals are broken and they are sent out. There is a similar passage in Zechariah 6 that appears to pre-figure these same horsemen:

Zechariah 6:1 Now I lifted up my eyes again and looked, and behold, four chariots were coming forth from between the two mountains; and the mountains were bronze mountains. 2 With the first chariot were red horses, with the second chariot black horses, 3 with the third chariot white horses, and with the fourth chariot strong dappled horses. 4 Then I spoke and said to the angel who was speaking with me, “What are these, my lord?” 5 The angel replied to me, “These are the four spirits of heaven, going forth after standing before the Lord of all the earth, 6 with one of which the black horses are going forth to the north country; and the white ones go forth after them, while the dappled ones go forth to the south country. 7 “When the strong ones went out, they [fn]were eager to go to patrol the earth.” And He said, “Go, patrol the earth.” So they patrolled the earth. 8 Then He cried out to me and spoke to me saying, “See, those who are going to the land of the north have appeased My wrath in the land of the north.”

The two horsemen who traveled to the North, "appeased My wrath in the land of the north.”

This passage seems to explain the purpose of the horsemen, and appears to associate them with the "four spirits of heaven"

What do you think?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  1,957
  • Content Per Day:  0.56

Zechariah is giving the Babylonian attack upon Israel long ago in 6:1

The horseman of Revelation's unfolding are yet to come

Edited by Daniel 11:36

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

The horsemen in Revelation 6 will be pouring out God's wrath and judgment on earth. They are bad. It looks like the chariot scene of the horses in Zachariah could relate but I am not sure.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,684
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Birthday:  08/07/1941

The four horsemen are also mentioned in Zechariah 1:8-11

There is no doubt they are the same as prophesied in Revelation 6:1-8. There are minor differences, but their tasks are as described in Revelation and mankind has experienced all the wars, famines, plagues and economic disasters that is prophesied. The Fifth Seal was also opened in ancient times. Matthew 23:35   Anyone who thinks they are 4 separate 'horsemen' needs to explain what the 2 prophesies in Zechariah are all about and how humankind could have survived any worse wars, famines, plagues, etc, than what we have already.   It is just your unsupported opinion, Daniel 11, that it refers to the Babylon invasion. 

The important fact we get from this truth, is that the Sixth Seal is the next prophesied event we can expect.  Be prepared for dramatic things to happen!

Edited by Keras

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  41
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Well stated Keras, and the horsemen appear here in Zechariah 1, in the context of Israel returning to God with their hearts:

Zechariah 1:8 I saw at night, and behold, a man was riding on a red horse, and he was standing among the myrtle trees which were in the ravine, with red, sorrel and white horses behind him. 9 Then I said, “My lord, what are these?” And the angel who was speaking with me said to me, “I will show you what these are.” 10 And the man who was standing among the myrtle trees answered and said, “These are those whom the LORD has sent to patrol the earth.” 11 So they answered the angel of the LORD who was standing among the myrtle trees and said, “We have patrolled the earth, and behold, all the earth is peaceful and quiet.”

And then we see four horns and four chaftsmen, which appear to be connected to the four horn of the Brazen Altar:

Zechariah 1:18 Then I lifted up my eyes and looked, and behold, there were four horns. 19 So I said to the angel who was speaking with me, “What are these?” And he answered me, “These are the horns which have scattered Judah, Israel and Jerusalem.” 20 Then the LORD showed me four craftsmen. 21 I said, “What are these coming to do?” And he said, “These are the horns which have scattered Judah so that no man lifts up his head; but these craftsmen have come to terrify them, to throw down the horns of the nations who have lifted up their horns against the land of Judah in order to scatter it.”

These four horns appear to operate in a similar manner as the four horsemen in Revelation (as malcontents). Without question, the four horsemen in Zechariah chapter 1 are the very same horsemen in Zechariah chapter 6, but are they also the 4 horns of the Brazen Altar? But there is one more passage in Zechariah we should consider:

Zechariah 2:3 And behold, the angel who was speaking with me was going out, and another angel was coming out to meet him, 4 and said to him, “Run, speak to that young man, saying, ‘Jerusalem will be inhabited without walls because of the multitude of men and cattle within it. 5 ‘For I,’ declares the LORD, ‘will be a wall of fire around her, and I will be the glory in her midst.’” 6 “Ho there! Flee from the land of the north,” declares the LORD, “for I have dispersed you as the four winds of the heavens,” declares the LORD.

So . . . the four horns of the Brazen Altar are associated with the four spirits or four winds of heaven, and they seem to be also connected to the four horsemen in Zechariah 1 & 6, and Revelation 6