mat007

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  124
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Do science and the Bible contradict themselves? Not actually. They even work together.

I am very interested in science, and in the same time, I love God. When I refer to science, I want to say mathematics and programming. Programming is based on logic. Logical sentences that have one and only one answer (true or false).

Does the Bible contain logical affirmations or things related to science? Of course it does. Always. And if you use your intelligence to read every page, you realize that science is used almost everywhere. From maths ("So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom." - Psalm 90:12) to the laws of physics ("See, the Lord, the LORD Almighty, will lop off the boughs with great power. The lofty trees will be felled, the tall ones will be brought low" - Isaiah 10:33).

Some people make a false affirmation, saying that most scientists don't believe in a higher power. Think about it again.

- Einstein believed in a created Universe (although he said that God is "human's weakness")

- Newton believed in God ("Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion. God governs all things and knows all that is or can be done.")

- Kelvin was a Christian

- Michael Faraday was a Christian

- Larry Wall (creator of Perl programming language) is a Christian

And I don't just refer to people who say that believe in God. I refer to people who really believe in God. (although Einstein could be an atheist and Newton an anti-trinitarian).

Even if some scientists made theories, a scientific theory isn't a law. (reffering to the theories that contradict the Bible - if they do, 'cause I'm not sure they really contradict it)

In conclusion, even if the Bible was written thousands of  years ago, it still has effect in our world today, no matter what words it used to replace scientific terms.

Edited by mat007
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,027
  • Content Per Day:  16.64

You sound like you would enjoy the book Quantum Creation by Josh Peck.  I thoroughly enjoyed it as he married science and faith together.  I am a working Mechanical Design Engineer who finds science providing the basis for everything I do.  But foremost, I am a Christian who believes in an Old Earth Creation (Gap Theory).  I take the Bible as literal truth as written in the original languages.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  124

44 minutes ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

You sound like you would enjoy the book Quantum Creation by Josh Peck.  I thoroughly enjoyed it as he married science and faith together.  I am a working Mechanical Design Engineer who finds science providing the basis for everything I do.  But foremost, I am a Christian who believes in an Old Earth Creation (Gap Theory).  I take the Bible as literal truth as written in the original languages.

Thanks! Would check it out :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  289

In contrary I doubt that humans understand what science is. Humans are basically creatures of present. We are blocked from reaching the past, we are blocked from reaching the future. That's why you can't even tell what you yourself did today but a year ago. Humans don't even know what time is conceptually. We don't know the past, we don't know the future and we don't know what time is. 

Science is about a set of rules behind a repeating phenomenon. Science can be accurate because the phenomenon repeats itself infinitive number of times for us to speculate, to observe and to predict how it repeats. We can thus confirm its truth at the point that we can predict precisely how it repeats. We don't fart rocket randomly in the hope that randomness will bring the rocket to the surface of the moon. Instead we rely on the laws of physics to predict that we can land on the surface of the moon before we actually launch our rockets. Whenever a mission failed, we won't say that it's a mistake of the theory. It's always the mistakes of human errors, equipment errors, miscalculations, unpredictable factors and etc. The prediction made by the laws of physics makes no mistakes. That's what science is.

Science relies on how a repeating phenomenon becoming predictable to confirm a truth. Science is not a suitable tool to deal with non-repeatable events. It's not an accurate tool to deal the past or the future. We have to employ science to do the job not because science is a proper tool. It's rather because we don't have a proper tool at all.

Einstein once put, time is not a stable physics unit but rather speed/velocity is. We don't know what this means in terms of human conception. Yet whenever we try to step into the past we have to make the assumption that time is a stable physics unit, progresses evenly forward, under the consent (or choose to ignore) that this assumption is not a scientific truth. 

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  269
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

On 11/8/2017 at 4:17 PM, Yowm said:

Laws and chance are opposites and do not mix. So no, there is no contradiction between true science that discovers and the Bible that reveals.

That's becasue scripture is about the Spirit of man and Science is focused on physical aspects of Creation.

Two different areas of knowledge.   
On the other hand:
19For what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20For since the creation of the worldGod’s invisible qualities, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood from His workmanship, so thatmen are without excuse. 

Edited by SkyWriting
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.81

As was mentioned prior, and beat me to it, the stumbling block for science and physics is the spirit. The universe is a world that  cannot be understood by equations. Jesus said we must be Born of the Spirit.   

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

3 minutes ago, Mike Mclees said:

As was mentioned prior, and beat me to it, the stumbling block for science and physics is the spirit. The universe is a world that  cannot be understood by equations. Jesus said we must be Born of the Spirit.   

Amen.  The truth, the holiness and righteousness of Yahweh Sovereign Creator

vs the perversion of men,  the sin and evil of the world,  as "there are many anti-christs among us" ,

the need for Jesus the Good Shepherd to shepherd all the sheep the Father has given Him,

and protect all the sheep from the deceivers, the wolves, the perverse(known, not hidden) posters among us.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.13
  • Days Won:  78

Regardless of the comments made about some  here while refusing to come out into the light, ignore that.   It's meant to deceive.  Science came from God, just like everything else, and He allows us to use it.  Without Him, there would be no order, i.e., no science.  Many don't understand science or what a gift it is to us from an awesome God but, for those who can understand, it is a great thing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

JESUS and then in HIS FAITHFULNESS [holy, set apart from the carnal and world]

Faith first.  Then IF AND WHEN any so-called science AGREES with Jesus,  as witnessed by HIS FATHER, and by the WORD,

that is acceptable.

All other so-called science,  opposed to Jesus, also witnessed (revealed) by HIS FATHER (as false), and against the WORD,

that is not acceptable,

but it is rejected along with all that is evil and perverse in this wicked generation. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

MG put it well.
Science PLUS faith is a winning combination. Many scientists have discovered belief and the saving grace of our The Lord God. My favorite is Dr. Jobe Martin who then produced those videos, "Incredible Creatures that defy evolution".

• Thumbs Up 2