TruthSeeker199

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Why do you christians blindly follow this religion? I was born into a very conservative religious family etc. I didn't see the other side until I began reading and attending medical school. People simply adopt the current religion that is dominate in their society and assimilate into the religious social circle within their local community for reasons like mental coping mechanism, socialization, and using the church as a platform to promote their own agenda e.g. business connections etc. If you christians were born in another country that had Buddhism as the dominate religion you would all be practicing monks right now meditating. Think critically about the world and form your own perspectives in life. Do not be afraid to accept that we truely do not know why or how all of this got here. The human experience is tough but beautiful when you embrace it and actively seek logical answers to life's most perplexing questions. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest shiloh357
2 hours ago, TruthSeeker199 said:

Why do you christians blindly follow this religion?

Two things:  #1. We don't follow a religion; we follow a Person, namely Jesus Christ.  #2.  We don't follow Him blindly.  The Christian faith and the existence of Jesus are based in evidence, not a leap into the dark.  The Bible is evidentiary in nature, so our faith in Jesus is really based in evidence.

I was born into a very conservative religious family etc. I didn't see the other side until I began reading and attending medical school.

What about all of those people who attended medical school who don't share your views?

People simply adopt the current religion that is dominate in their society and assimilate into the religious social circle within their local community for reasons like mental coping mechanism, socialization, and using the church as a platform to promote their own agenda e.g. business connections etc.

How do you know that these are the reasons that Christians put their faith in Jesus?

If you christians were born in another country that had Buddhism as the dominate religion you would all be practicing monks right now meditating.

That is just one more aspect of your post that defies the very critical thinking you are asking us to to engage in.   It shows that you don't really think as critically as you pretend to.   I say that because it is simply not true that if we born into a Buddhist culture that we would all be practicing monks and mediating.   That is nonsensical and is not true in other context.   Not all adherents of Judaism are practicing Rabbis.  Not all Muslims are practicing Imams.  Not all Christians are practicing pastors or missionaries.  So perhaps you need to practice what you preach when it comes to thinking critically.

Think critically about the world and form your own perspectives in life. Do not be afraid to accept that we truely do not know why or how all of this got here. The human experience is tough but beautiful when you embrace it and actively seek logical answers to life's most perplexing questions. 

How is that you assume that because we are Christians, we don't think critically?   That assumption is in direct contradiction to critical thinking.  

Critical thinking doesn't lead to atheism.  Critical thinking would argue that an all-knowing, all powerful God is the best explanation for how everything came to into existence.   And it is perfectly logical given the immense complexity of our universe.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

When taking physiology and cellular biology I was overcome with the Creator's wisdom in the intricacy of our bodies.  How wondrously we are made!  The chances of this just happening are infinitesimal. 

A person must get caught up in the pride of reasoning and educational pride to come to such an irrational conclusion that there is no Creator.  Some think themselves to be god; some make mankind a god.   My dad did.  Fortunately he repented a year prior to his death, confessing that he had built his life upon the wrong premise.   Philosophy classes had screwed  up his life as well.

People in other religions spend their lives seeking escape from life; some worship a god of hate; some live in fear;  many in ethical religions are trying all their lives to be good enough;  others are seeking God but never finding Him.  Many do join churches to get more clients.

Some of us attend a church because God has called us to Himself,   Having repented we now have an ongoing relationship with our Creator.  We desire to worship Him because He is worthy.  We love Him because He first loved us and sought us, revealed Himself to us and enlightened us to understand the Scriptures.  

Having been around people in pain and who are dying, I have seen fear written on many faces, bitterness and hatred.  But upon the faces of those who are indwelt by the Spirit of the Living God, I have seen joy and love, and people caring more about those they are leaving behind than about themselves.  What will be seen in your face when you are dying?  Pride, having done it your way?  Defiance to the end, and then terror?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.12
  • Days Won:  78

13 hours ago, TruthSeeker199 said:

Why do you christians blindly follow this religion? I was born into a very conservative religious family etc. I didn't see the other side until I began reading and attending medical school. People simply adopt the current religion that is dominate in their society and assimilate into the religious social circle within their local community for reasons like mental coping mechanism, socialization, and using the church as a platform to promote their own agenda e.g. business connections etc. If you christians were born in another country that had Buddhism as the dominate religion you would all be practicing monks right now meditating. Think critically about the world and form your own perspectives in life. Do not be afraid to accept that we truely do not know why or how all of this got here. The human experience is tough but beautiful when you embrace it and actively seek logical answers to life's most perplexing questions. 

I can only speak for myself and Christians I know personally.  We live in a society that allows one to follow whatever faith they wish, as you know.  Christianity is the only thing that made sense to us.  I didn't become saved until my late thirties and a lot of my friends were that age or close to it when they came to the Lord as well.  So saying there is no critical thinking involved is very short sighted.  Know whereof you speak before you do.  And welcome to Worthy.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 2

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

13 hours ago, TruthSeeker199 said:

First of all born again Christians are not blind. We walk by faith in Jesus Christ and we have God's Word which is a Holy Bible. Life is full of choices and all human beings are going to have to make a choice to spend eternity in heaven or an eternity in hell. You do know who God is since you were born into a religious family. The choice is yours.

• Thumbs Up 4

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.12
  • Days Won:  78

14 hours ago, OakWood said:

You've asked a good question and a very relevant one. I'm not going to chastise you for it. It's a question that everyone should ask. I will try to break down my answer into three points:

1/ When it comes to critical thinking, God has given us a brain. We can think logically. 2+2=4 and we know that. So why should we blindly worship a God whom we cannot tell if he exists or not? Well, the truth is, most Christians don't (although some may do). Many born-again Christians were not raised in the Church, some have come from Atheism or other beliefs such as Buddhism or Hinduism or Islam.

The word 'faith' is a very misunderstood one. Many people think that the word faith means 'blind belief' but it doesn't. 'Faith' means trust, and real trust means believing in the tried and tested. Believe it or not, many Christians have doubted God until he displayed his love, and his verifiable honesty. I trust God because I have tested his existence and I know it to be real.

2/ History verifies the validity of the Bible. Historical prophecies have been fulfilled to the letter. This is true. Some may say that the Bible contradicts itself, but it doesn't. You have to read it to understand that... but many people don't bother to, instead they cherry-pick a few verses to their liking. Yes, there are a number of apparent contradictions in the Bible but they can be explained satisfactorily which is really another topic for discussion (and a very complicated but interesting one).

3/ If you are really unsure, then let God do all the work. If God really exists then it is his duty to reveal himself. Sit down, relax and pray. "How do I know that you are real?" Many have done this, but never got an answer because their pride gave them 'pre-assumptions.' They wanted to believe in a god made in their own image, a god that satisfied their own fantasies, desires and imaginations, and sadly they often got one, a false one!

Be humble, like a small child.... knowing nothing but asking questions out of sheer curiosity. You have nothing to lose. If you are genuinely humble, God will answer you... not necessarily straight away; it may take days or weeks, but he will answer you eventually. Trust me.

And even when God does answer you... keep on testing until you are sure that it is really God who speaks. There's nothing wrong with healthy skepticism.

And finally, for all the Christians who believe that God should not be tested because of what they read in scripture... well, it doesn't mean that. God is not a performing monkey and you shouldn't test his powers or expect him to perform miracles at your request. However, you can test whether he really is the true God or not; based on truth, logic and humble conviction. Once you have found him and he passes the test then you need never doubt him again. Remember that there are a lot of false gods out there so the litmus test will reveal the true God, the only god who gave his only begotten son to die for our own sins.

well said, O.W.  Good to see you posting again, btw.