• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

10 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

No, I prefer a real Bible as opposed to modern versions that omit verses and promote Gnostic heresies.

The above belongs in Worthy's Conspiracy forum.

Guest shiloh357
51 minutes ago, OldSchool2 said:

The above belongs in Worthy's Conspiracy forum.

No, it doesn't.  

Look up the following verses in the KJV:  Matt. 17:21, 18:11, 24:14; Mark 7:16, 9:44, 9:46, 11:26, 15:28; Luke 14:36, 23:17; John 5:4; Acts 8:37, 15:34, 24:7, 28:29; and Rom. 16:24.  Then go look up those same verses in the NASB and NIV and other modern translations.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

51 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Look up the following verses in the KJV:  Matt. 17:21, 18:11, 24:14; Mark 7:16, 9:44, 9:46, 11:26, 15:28; Luke 14:36, 23:17; John 5:4; Acts 8:37, 15:34, 24:7, 28:29; and Rom. 16:24.  Then go look up those same verses in the NASB and NIV and other modern translations.

I can almost hear:

"Give me that old time religion,
It's good enough for me...."

Guest shiloh357
21 minutes ago, OldSchool2 said:

I can almost hear:

"Give me that old time religion,
It's good enough for me...."

No, I don't have religion.  The RCC is a religion.   I  have Jesus, instead.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,065
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:12 PM, Omegaman 3.0 said:

I agree with your assessment of what that verse is actually trying to say, but I am not certain that the KJV folks got it wrong. Perhap the meaning of the word appearance, was a bit different 400 years ago, or perhaps we tend to limit the word appearance in modern time, and are just misinterpreting it.

For example, if I say I have an obligation to make a appearance at a meeting tomorrow, I am not saying that I want to make it look as though I am at the meeting, I am saying that I will actually be there. There is no presence, without my appearance, and the is no appearance, without my presence. The two are so connected, as to be nearly synonymous. 

So, I think in old English, or modern English, it is possible the  word presence or occurrence  would work just fine.

At the same time, the Bible does place some emphasis, on having a good reputation. People's reputations can be damaged by mere appearances. One time my wife and I were accused of drinking in public.

We were drinking in public. We were drinking a bottle of Martinelli's Sparkling Apple Cider, and pouring it into plastic champagne glosses. It is not possible to avoid all appearance of evil, because appearance is in the eye of the beholder. I think old VW bugs are ugly, some think they are cute.

I took a woman to lunch once, after a church service. She was afraid of how it would look. She said what if someone sees us?"  I said: "Well, then they will see two friends having lunch! What if your  husband and (my best friend) were to go camping, someone might see us do that?" She said: "What is wrong with how that looks?" I said: "Someone might think we were sneaking off to have a homosexual affair!"

Wow, I just realized that I never posted this, lol, that was, I don't know 5 hours ago? Anyway, point is we may not always be able to avoid these issues, we can only try to be wise about them.

We have seen this language stuff in our own generation 'cool'
When we honor God through His Word and practice thereof ... that is where the final intent in activity will be measured. After all they called Jesus a gluttonous wine bibber. 

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Just now, enoob57 said:

When we honor God through His Word and practice thereof ... that is where the final intent in activity will be measured. After all they called Jesus a gluttonous wine bibber. 

Excellent observation!

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.70
  • Days Won:  25

Would it be too much to ask Shiloh and OldSchool2 to keep their feud to different threads and quit taking this one off topic.   I do not want this thread to become yet one more KJV only thread.    

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

1 minute ago, Running Gator said:

Would it be too much to ask Shiloh and OldSchool2 to keep their feud to different threads and quit taking this one off topic.   I do not want this thread to become yet one more KJV only thread.

Noted:

Gentlemen, please stick to the topic and not take pot shots at Bible version preferences. If you want to debate Bible versions, do so in a thread about that, here, please stay on topic.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  649
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:33 AM, Running Gator said:

Here is why, to me the difference in wording matters.

Committing adultery is a form of evil.  Having a meal with a member of the opposite gender that is not your spouse or family member can be said to give an appearance of evil, but is not a form of evil. 

Having a beer in your fridge can be said to give the appearance of evil, but is not a form of evil.  Being a drunkard is a form of evil.   

If you acknowledge , which you have , that in the mirror of Obedience to God you sense an "  appearance " of evil you are already on shaky ground .

In the midst of life's trials and perplexities working your own way through " appearances "  of evil relying on inadequate human reasoning and spiritual infirmity is not 

a path to victory of our souls .

There was not even so much a hint of an " appearance " of  " evil "  for the  two disciples that chose to be in the courtyard at Jesus's trial .

All things being equal , yet for one of them the lack of even an  " appearance " of evil was nothing more than a trap for what would be the most regrettable sins of their 

life .  

The denial of their Lord and Savior , not once but thrice .

And this after having been specifically warned by the Lord that Satan himself desired to destroy him .

Yet with not even so much as a hint of an " appearance "  of  " evil " why not enter into the  temptation of the courtyard ?

After all  this lack of an " appearance " of  " evil " had absolutely no impact on the other disciple present there .

How did that work out for Peter ? 

Peter should have never been present there , and he would be the first to tell you that after the fact ,   lack of " evil appearances "  be damned .

Instead of using human reasoning with regards to working out  what gives  acceptable " appearances" subtracted from "  evil " , in the eyes of other feeble humans  it is

much better to rely on the Divine math of God's multiplication . 

Obedience to God will always unlock the multiplication of God's Omnipotence and the concern with earthly " appearances "  will be left behind as we gaze upon an open 

field of life rich in the loveliness , honor , and power of Jesus .

" I Am come that they might have life , and that they might have it more abundantly . "

( John 10 : 10 ) 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

31 minutes ago, Davida said:

It is a fact that some of the modern Bible versions have changed the meaning of some scriptures. 

Here is a thought outside the box. You say that the some modern Bibles have changed the meaning of the scriptures. So here is my thought.  Maybe they did not change the meaning of the scripture, but maybe what they did was word it in such away that the true meaning of the scripture became more understandable.  Thus changing what you thought the meaning was suppose to be. :39:

• This is Worthy 1