IGNORED

I Thes 5:22

Running Gator

Guest shiloh357
7 minutes ago, notsolostsoul said:

This is how some churches use all verses. For control of how they believe it to be.

No, just cults like the JW, Mormons, etc.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.70
  • Days Won:  25

9 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

But the Pharisees were putting up false appearances.  They were outwardly appearing one way, while inwardly they were the opposite.  That is not what we are dealing with here.

Actually it is.  If one take this verse to be about appearances and not actions or what’s in your heart then it is all just about outward appearances 

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 7:50 AM, Running Gator said:

Most version of the bible transalte I Thes 5:22 this way...

Abstain from every form of evil.

Out of all the major translations, only the KJV translates it as such...

Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Based upon the context of the rest of the chapter, it is my view that the KJV folks got it wrong.

The 2nd part of the chapter in which this verse falls in is all about actions, not appearances.  

Every form of evil would naturally include an appearance of evil.  An appearance is a form of evil.  This is an example of how modern translations have watered down the true gospel.  This slight of hand makes it appear one can do things that appear evil, so long as you aren't actually committing an evil act.  I have been standing up for the KJV only position, and I am happy you posted this.  The reason this makes me happy is because I have been willing to allow for a slight compromise for the people that are too lazy to learn to read old English.  I have said that the NKJV Bible is the best modern translation if you must use one, because it has the TR as it's foundation.  That was not incorrect, but seeing a blatant error like this in the NKJV Bible shows I need to stand more firm against it.  That is what I get for compromising with the devil.  My bad.  

Doing something that appears evil is an action.  If I go into a brothel to witness to the working girls, even if I never do anything wrong, I have by my actions done something to hurt my testimony and create an appearance of evil. 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

5 minutes ago, Butero said:

Doing something that appears evil is an action.  If I go into a brothel to witness to the working girls, even if I never do anything wrong, I have by my actions done something to hurt my testimony and create an appearance of evil. 

Sorry,  no.  (That is , Jesus visited tax collectors, adulterers, and thieves, and HIS Testimony is PERFECT) ....

"DO NO"  evil.  Period.  zip.  zilch.  zero.......

No matter what you do,  if you seek truth ,  you will be accused of the same things Jesus was accused of and more.....

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.70
  • Days Won:  25

18 minutes ago, Butero said:

Every form of evil would naturally include an appearance of evil.  An appearance is a form of evil.... 

I could not disagree more.  An appearance is not a form of anything, it is just that, something that looks like something.   Either what you are doing is evil or it is not, there is no inbetween.

Did Jesus hurt his testimony when he stood at the well alone with a Samaritan woman?   Did Jesus care what people thought of his actions?  Did Jesus care when he was called out for the appearance he was giving by eating with the sinners?   Did Jesus care about the appearance he was giving when He healed on the Sabbath? 

Edited by Running Gator

I feel the need to say one more thing about this topic.  This is beyond the single verse being discussed.  Those of us who are KJV only are doing a great deal of harm to the devil, and a scheme he has had in place for a long time.  His ultimate goal is to get everyone to believe that we can't fully trust what is written in any translation, because there are supposedly errors and additions like scribal notes.  If you ever accept the idea that there is no perfect English translation, you fall right into that trick.  Because different English translations say different things, if you look at them all as equal, rather than believing one is right and the rest are wrong, you automatically are in the place to be questioning anything.  

I used to listen to the Catholic Mass while driving down the road in the truck, and they have rejected the KJV Bible for a modern English Catholic Bible.  It clearly has been perverted to make their false doctrines appear right.  It is an awful translation, and if they did that, why does anyone think the others don't have a bias?  The NIV was intentionally changed to make it gender neutral, even though that goes against the original text.  They even had a lesbian translator.  The Jehovah's Witnesses have the New World Translation.  Doesn't it stand to reason churches with liberal doctrines, will create watered down Bibles?  You will have things you know are sinful, and you will pull out your KJV Bible to show someone, and they will pull out their modern translation that says something completely different, and unless you are solidly KJV only, you will be silenced.  That is their objective.  

One other thing you need to be aware of, hermeneutics.  That is a pagan system of translation.  Go to Wikepedia and read up on it.  Notice there are even different types of hermeneutics that people use.  The reason I bring this up is because there are claims that Romans 1 is dealing only with temple prostitutes, and not all homosexuals.  If you fall into the hermeneutics trap, you can be fooled into accepting things like that.  Just be careful when you are so quick to embrace anyone's argument that there are errors in the KJV Bible, or that we need to use hermeneutics or try to look into the history of things to properly interpret it.  There is this thing called revisionist history, and all historians disagree on many things about the Bible.  The safest way to go is to stick with the Authorized KJV Bible and take it as written.  It is fully trustworthy.  

11 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

Sorry,  no.  (That is , Jesus visited tax collectors, adulterers, and thieves, and HIS Testimony is PERFECT) ....

"DO NO"  evil.  Period.  zip.  zilch.  zero.......

No matter what you do,  if you seek truth ,  you will be accused of the same things Jesus was accused of and more.....

Jesus didn't go into a place of sin.  He did hang out in the home of sinners, but he didn't do things that had an appearance of evil, at least not in the way I mean it.  If by an appearance of evil, you mean simply visiting the home of a sinner, in the eyes of the religious crowd, that would appear evil, but they were hypocrites and sinners themselves.  

I do agree that we should do no evil.  I would never disagree with that.  We should not sin.  

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

1 minute ago, Butero said:

Those of us who are KJV only are doing a great deal of harm to the devil,

Maybe somewhere that is true,  but not on this forum.  The enemy has pretty much free reign over most visitors, and that hasn't gotten better over the years,  only worse.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

16 minutes ago, Davida said:

That is a made up accusation- What post claimed anyone would be Tossed into hell period? -- none. Why make false accusations against those who have a different opinion then yours but

I WAS NOT MAKING AN ACCUSATION AGAINST ANYONE! I was not  replying to anyone's  post! All anyone ever wants to do on here is argue with each other! We are suppose to be Christians! I said what I said with the though that it would be a peaceful resolutions for both sides. Saying that no side is right and no side is wrong.  Then you go off accusing me of making false accusations about people!

I'm done! You all can argue with each other over this till the cows come home. I'm done! 

Just now, simplejeff said:

Maybe somewhere that is true,  but not on this forum.  The enemy has pretty much free reign over most visitors, and that hasn't gotten better over the years,  only worse.

Let me put it this way.  We are limiting the amount of damage they can do when it comes to perverting doctrine.  There is no way to stop people from misusing scripture, even if they are using a KJV Bible.