• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

10 hours ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

SHE is not saying it seemed like he was mentally ill to her.   THEY thought he was beside himself, they thought he had a demon.

Unless it is written in Scripture,  I wouldn't say HIS FAMILY thought he had a demon. OTHERS SAID SO, at other times (same as today) they CLAIM HE(JESUS) or that we (JESUS FOLLOWERS) have a demon (this accusation still surfaces TODAY, on this forum);

but again,  unless it is written,  I wouldn't say HIS FAMILY said so.  Stick with what is written , what they did, why they (HIS FAMILY) were worried or concerned for Jesus.

For the enemies of Christ to claim that we or Jesus had/have a demon is expected and 'normal' in society,

but not for believers or Jesus' family to make that claim.  Subject of course to what is written..... (to be tested, verified, proven)

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Butero said:

I knew some accused Jesus of having a devil, but I believe they knew better and only did because they didn't want to acknowledge it was the power of God doing the works. 

This happens today - on this forum even.  The members/ posters/ visitors have a dark and suspicious mind who say we have a demon,  or that Jesus had a demon.   They DO NOT KNOW BETTER, no.  They do not know ANYTHING.(according to Scripture)

Scripture says :  if they knew what they were doing ,  they wouldn't have done it !   This applies to not just crucifying Jesus (as 2 billion members in the beast system do DAILY TODAY) ,  but also to attacking His children.  If they hate Jesus, they hate also His children.  And they don't know the truth, cannot see heaven (their hearts are not pure), and they cannot appraise correctly anything spiritual.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  269
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

On 11/2/2017 at 6:50 AM, Running Gator said:

Most version of the bible transalte I Thes 5:22 this way...

Abstain from every form of evil.

Out of all the major translations, only the KJV translates it as such...

Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Based upon the context of the rest of the chapter, it is my view that the KJV folks got it wrong.

The 2nd part of the chapter in which this verse falls in is all about actions, not appearances.  

All the critical aspects of Christianity are covered by multiple authors, spread over time. 
So you're safe.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

16 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

Sorry, no, this might be entirely misleading to readers.   Jesus spoke so simply , powerfully, and truthfully that it

was a "new thing" to the people who were (and are today, STILL) SO HUNGRY for the LIFE FLOWING FROM HIM.

The honesty and bluntness and power in everything Jesus says is unknown in other speakers/ teachers/ parents/ children/ relatives/ pastors/ priests/ bishops/ televangelists/ at the time (that His Own family thought He was crazy OR whatever the original actually says and means) 

so what was His mother and brothers and sisters to think ?  Even THEY HAD NEVER SEEN ANYONE LIKE HIM THIS WAY, and few today ever do either - it is so rare, TODAY, people who speak as Jesus did are considered delusional or liars or drunk,  same as some thought of Jesus.

But no,  back to the objection here,  NEITHER JESUS nor the APOSTLES were out of control of themselves.  See in Scripture the description of all those who are led by Yahweh's Spirit.  It is not out of control,  rather instead with self control,  especially or even while prophesying ("the spirit of the prophet is subject to the prophet") ..... not mindless and not random nor , well ,   as seemingly implied here.

I agree Jeff and I understand what you are cautioning........and we always need to test the spirits.  I will try to clarify what I'm talking about.  It is not usually a matter of being out of control, but sometimes in being yielded to the Lord, He blows where He wills.  Like having a vision, that is not of ourselves, but we willingly yield to having the vision.  I am not sure but I think we could quench it any time according to our own will, but instead we are just yielded to His Spirit and will.  Someone having a vision in the presence of other people could be seen to others as being out of their mind and not acting normally.  Paul could be an example when he fell off his horse and he and Jesus were talking with one another.........that would have looked odd by outward appearances, and that situation was not under his control as he was caught off guard by the Lord.  Daniel fell down a few times.  Phillip was translated under the control of the Lord, though as someone yielded to the Lord it could be understood it was in cooperation with his will.  I sometime wonder if Jesus ever prayed or spoke in tongues as He was moved by the Spirit, that would have seemed crazy to onlookers who had no experience of tongues.  I don't doubt it's possible He often worshiped and praised and rejoiced in the Lord quite openly and joyfully and people would have seen this as being over the top, since he was anointed with joy more than his companions.  God's ways are just not like man's ways...........but again, we always need to test the spirits, and your point is well taken.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

On 11/2/2017 at 8:50 AM, Running Gator said:

Most version of the bible transalte I Thes 5:22 this way...

Abstain from every form of evil.

Out of all the major translations, only the KJV translates it as such...

Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Based upon the context of the rest of the chapter, it is my view that the KJV folks got it wrong.

The 2nd part of the chapter in which this verse falls in is all about actions, not appearances.  

I would disagree here. It really means the same thing. And many modern bible translations are corrupt to begin with

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

54 minutes ago, Butero said:

In the case of Paul, his faith in Christ, his testimony of his experience in meeting Jesus, and his faith in the resurrection led to him being thought to be mad.  In that case, I clearly see what you are saying, but I am not convinced anyone thought Jesus was crazy or possessed.  I think the religious leaders knew he didn't have a devil, but were just making the accusation because they were trying to explain away the miracles to the multitude.  

Well, I will only suggest reading that passage again carefully and prayerfully, brother.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Davida said:

since when are those who are possessed able to cast out devils in others? 

Since when?   For all intents and purposes in our lives today,  since always.

They do it every day, on tv, on the internet,  on the forums,  all for show, all for deception, (NOT real/true healing)

MUCH MORE OFTEN than true disciples.  The false ones are much more in number, and some right here on this forum follow some of the false teachers, without ever admitting it.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

My name isn' Pope Francis and videos are not allowed in non-video forums.

17 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

Let me quote the Bible and what it really says in context:

"The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread. Behold Israel after the flesh: are not they which eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar? What say I then? that the idol is any thing, or that which is offered in sacrifice to idols is any thing?"  

Let's try all of it in context (1 Corinthians 10:14-22, KJV)

Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry.

15 I speak as to wise men; judge ye what I say.

16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?

17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

18 Behold Israel after the flesh: are not they which eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar?

19 What say I then? that the idol is any thing, or that which is offered in sacrifice to idols is any thing?

20 But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.

21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.

This is about Gentiles and Jews, not Catholics and Protestants.

17 hours ago, Butero said:

He doesn't make the decision to grant the title of saint to anyone like the Catholic Church does.  

Yet they are all still venerated by Protestants as martyrs.

• Oy Vey! 1