• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

30 minutes ago, AscendedMasters333 said:

The question we should ask is, why are the majority of tongues in Pentecostal churches? Is everyone else doing something wrong?

13And He declared to them, “It is written: ‘Myhouse will be called a house of prayer

That is an excellent question.  The church has become so much like the world today.  People gather with like minded people as it is far easier to agree then to disagree and have to search scripture to find out the truth.  Those who believe that the gifts are not for today go to one church and those who believe they are, go to another.  It's called division.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

14 hours ago, AscendedMasters333 said:

I've stumbled on some "speaking in tongues" videos. Most of them confirm that babbling tongues are frequent in Pentecostal churches.

Can someone read this and help discern what's happening at this church? My parents still go there.

The Ukrainian church I was forced to go to with my parents for 18 years, named the house of prayer, always had these 'tongue babblings'. I don't know if these were actual babblings or different languages. They didn't sound like other languages. Everyone's babblings seemed to sound the same. But doesn't the Holy Spirit only use the tongues to speak to others in their language? Not some heavenly language gibberish? From what I remember, they called it a prayer support from the Holy Spirit, like a prayer assistance to help prolong it. Now I'm starting to question if this was a demonic spirit entering people.  

For over 20 years of my life, I thought that was the real Holy Spirit working. I feel the periods where I left the church, I came closer to spiritual things, then later God. Was God's eye on me the whole time? Keeping me distant from the church's doctrine, until now where I attend a United reformed church? This is mind blowing right now. 

For the entire 18 years, I feel I learned nothing. Like my ears were shut. I learned the stories, about Jesus, Moses, etc. But I never understood the deeper meanings. I didn't even know the point of Jesus, that he died for us, which even sinners know. During 90% of the sermons, the second it started, my mind would blank out, until the second the sermon finished. Maybe it was my ignorance blocking out the sermon? Or was it divine intervention, closing my ears to the doctrines?

Some background: As the name of the church suggests, this church was heavy on prayer. Only vocal. Occasionally they had prayer days; church was open for 8 hours. People would come and pray for hours, vocally. There were 4-5 church services per week. It was structured with 3 sermons from 3 deacons and sometimes pastor. Each sermon about 30 minutes-1 hour. Each church service was 2-3 hours long. Monday's were prayer night, where focus was on prayer along side preaching. After each sermon they prayed for 5-10 minutes. All members pray together, not just pastor.

Experiences I witnessed: Often the moment the pastor starts praying, within 1-10 seconds, he's already babbling. Alter calls had people come out, stand on their knees, and pastor would come around putting hands on them praying. Sometimes they dabbed oil on peoples heads. A couple of occasions, a female prophet would come. It was super weird. 5-10 minutes into a heavy loud prayer, everyone would go silent almost in unison, and the 'spirit' would speak vocally from her, in her own voice. She would tell the church the problems they had, like not enough love or whatever I don't remember 100% if this happened, but a prophet said in our church of 150 members, only 2-4 would be saved. A teenage guy during an alter call, was praying so hard, he said he was paralyzed for a time. Not like a car accident paralyzed, but having no body control. A trusted members experience story was, his wife in another church during prayer, physically started levitating while praying. Not sure if I remember this one correctly, but it was either physically or in his dream. 80% sure it was physically. One teenage girl often gets babblings, and during heavy prayers, she would scream in a weird way. Not like horror movie scream, but shouting bursts of babblings. One deacon especially, but other members also, would pray so loud and forcefully, they were basically yelling to God. Average prayers were really loud. People would cry passionately and desperately, especially women. Sometimes up to 30 minutes straight.

It seemed like a good church. They never had people running around or jumping during prayers. Some of the miracle stories seemed genuine. Like healing and whatnot. They dressed respectfully, no chewing gum, long dresses, no cellphones, etc. But everything else had me question. I never really felt peace in that church. It felt dead, without any presence.  

Hey Ascended, I assume you weren't around yet in the 1970's? Back then this whole tongues thing had me confused. Ever hear of Jimmy Swaggart? He's a story to himself. He had a huge and successful ministry in Baton Rogue. He did a 30 min teaching show in the am and I often got up early just to watch it. But on Sunday nights he dis his crusades. He was very popular. To have a ministry that big God was blessing him. Back then there were a lot of TV evangelists and they all asked us to support them. Another Big TV guy was Jim Baker. For some reason Swaggart didn't like Baker. Swaggart found out Baker spent ministry money on a very expensive AC for his dog. Swaggart caused a scandal. You've heard we all have skeletons in our closets, yes? Swaggart had a lovely wife who obeyed him like a woman of God should. So why did Swaggart feel the need to hire a lady of the night and pay her big bucks. One month when Penthouse hit the stands there was Swaggart crying with a long story. At that point I had given up buying Playboy and Penthouse but I had to buy that one. Besides watching him and believing him I was sending him all my extra money each month. Maybe if Swaggart used his own money to pay his prostitute it wouldn't have been so bad. But that was our money. I was a poor working class hero. Swaggart belonged to a major protestant denomination who told him no preaching for 3 months. But every am he was still on TV. I was a new Christian back then and he hurt my faith. I started doubting God. But God is real and He proved it again. God put an end to his multi-million dollar ministry in 2 months. (aren't you glad you weren't around yet)

Swaggart used to say another thing. The only people who had the Holy Spirit in them would speak in other tongues. Remember there was no internet yet so thousands of believers doubted the HS, Jesus and even the Bible cause they couldn't babble. For 5 yrs I didn't even open my Bible. I spent the next 20 yrs wondering if I was even Born Again. I eventually realized I must be because I had really changed. I still committed sins but I couldn't enjoy them. But did I receive the Baptism of the HS? I still can't babble. What a mess.

I was also attending a church that no longer exists. One Sunday we got a new member. The chief elder did the HS baptism but he didn't babble. Back in those days many people came to me with their troubles. I didn't mind, but I only was a believer 1 year. The chief elder wanted the new guy to babble so they took him privately and tried to teach him tongues. He couldn't pick it up. That was when he came to me and asked if this was Kosher. (I was so confused) I told him no, I didn't think so. He never came back. I spent the next decade reading up on tongues. My conclusion is they don't matter. It's a gift from the HS some people get them, most don't. They are simply a sign to unbelievers. I never got them. But I did get the Word of Knowledge and Word of Wisdom. In accordance with the Bible I have no control over them. When God wants them to function they do, otherwise I have no idea what's going to happen.

I hope you enjoyed my essay, I confess I enjoy teaching when I can.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

1 hour ago, AscendedMasters333 said:

The question we should ask is, why are the majority of tongues in Pentecostal churches? Is everyone else doing something wrong?

13And He declared to them, “It is written: ‘Myhouse will be called a house of prayer

Different; different is not necessarily wrong, just different is all.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

50 minutes ago, OneLight said:

That is an excellent question.  The church has become so much like the world today.  People gather with like minded people as it is far easier to agree then to disagree and have to search scripture to find out the truth.  Those who believe that the gifts are not for today go to one church and those who believe they are, go to another.  It's called division.

I have never seen the division like this .   But be on guard , their is a false unity starting to gather churches together in mindset.  its all inclusive , interfaith like concepts

more and more are lining up under it .  a false unity that has naught to do with JESUS , but with world peace .   leading RIGHT to the man of sin.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/09/1965

2 hours ago, missmuffet said:

I am not convinced. I believe that tongues have ceased 1 Corinthians 13:8.

Hi friends 

I'm just recently back to the fold for that I'm truly thankful one thing I'm glad about I don't have any spiritual baggage as everyday is a bonus I'm getting back into God's word I've got a deploma in theology and HNC in divinety sadly it's means nothing to me as I've lost a lot of my memories lack off oxygen to the brain however I'm on the right track I've a long way to go I will not judge other people on how they interpret God's word that's between them and God if I have offended anyone I truly apologise 

Kind regards 

Sinbad 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  471
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,543
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Days Won:  9

I think if God moves someone to speak in a unknown tongue he can. But I feel like a lot of people it's not real. I use to attend a AGO  church on NJ. There was a lady who used to have the gift of interpretation.  Whenever someone talk on a unknown tongue she would tell the church what was said. I could tell it was made up from her own mind. It was never in detail. But stuff like God loves you but he wants deeper devotion. Or be careful when driving because someone is about to get into a accident. No names or who or where. Anyway a lot of people want attention. But it could really be a true tongue speaking of it was God's will.

• Thumbs Up 1