• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hi everyone! I have a question:

Without getting involved in a political debate of party A vs party B, I just wanted to ask, is it un-Christian to protest against a government? (e.g. Mr. X makes some policy you don't agree with, is it ok to protest?) Many Christians believe it is un-Christian because the Bible says to respect authority and that in protesting a policy by Mr. X, you are protesting against God. However other Christians believe that if protesting is legal that it is ok to protest. I am interested in the theological-Biblical side of this debate, not the political side.

The argument for not protesting: if a) all leaders are appointed by God, then b) their their policies are, if not made by God, approved or allowed by God, therefore c) you are de facto protesting against God, not Mr. X. The Bible says clearly to respect authority so by protesting, you are de facto protesting against the authority of God, and not Mr. X

The opposing argument: The Bible says to obey the law, and if the law allows protesting, the Bible has nothing against it, because you are, in essence, obeying the law 

What do you guys think?

Protesting itself is not in-Christian. But, if you are protesting in favor of the liberal left agenda, then I think that you should consider what you are actually protesting for. JMO.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

37 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Without getting involved in a political debate of party A vs party B, I just wanted to ask, is it un-Christian to protest against a government? (e.g. Mr. X makes some policy you don't agree with, is it ok to protest?) Many Christians believe it is un-Christian because the Bible says to respect authority and that in protesting a policy by Mr. X, you are protesting against God. However other Christians believe that if protesting is legal that it is ok to protest. I am interested in the theological-Biblical side of this debate, not the political side.

The argument for not protesting: if a) all leaders are appointed by God, then b) their their policies are, if not made by God, approved or allowed by God, therefore c) you are de facto protesting against God, not Mr. X. The Bible says clearly to respect authority so by protesting, you are de facto protesting against the authority of God, and not Mr. X

The opposing argument: The Bible says to obey the law, and if the law allows protesting, the Bible has nothing against it, because you are, in essence, obeying the law 

What do you guys think?

Each of us is to serve our Lord Jesus.  

I am fortunate to live under a government that  is built to tolerate and even encourage dissent and protest. So I conclude that here I am Godly in protest. If I were placed at another land by God where dissent is not allowed I might have to see it differently.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

26 minutes ago, Rick_Parker said:

then I think that you should consider what you are actually protesting for. JMO

Shouldn't that be what one should do for any protest? :39:

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest shiloh357
54 minutes ago, Newbie said:

What do you guys think?

We are to respect the law, but in the US the right to protest, to present our government with a redress of grievances is baked into our Constitution.   So protesting doesn't violate the Bible's admonition to respect our government.

It is HOW you protest that determines if you are in violation of that biblical admonition.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  503
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Birthday:  08/20/1948

2 hours ago, Newbie said:

What do you guys think?

Protesting is not a Christians job.  Your job is to pray for your government.  Pray for those in charge.... because the weapons we use to wage war are not worldly. On the contrary, they have God’s power for demolishing strongholds. We demolish arguments and every arrogance that raises itself up against the knowledge of God; we take every thought captive and make it obey the Messiah. 2 Corinthians 10:4-5 .... For we are not struggling against human beings, but against the rulers, authorities and cosmic powers governing this darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realm. Ephesians 6:12

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  03/09/1965

Being on the receiving end of a riot petrol bombs and bricks it's not much fun especially when you see Christians throwing the petrol. Bombs 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Theres nothing unchristlike in a protest itself, especially if what your protesting is something that is morally wrong, such as abortion. However, the method you use to protest, can be sinful.  Keep in mind, in some countries simply being a "christian" is a protest in and of itself. Also remember, that even Jesus spoke up against things being done wrong by the elites in his time.