Vanity?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Maybe I'm a little confused on this one, but I remember that there are multiple times in Gods word where Paul, I think Timothy, even James, said ALL is vanity. And that definitely shows up in the Old Testament. But I also remember Ecclesiastes 2:24 says, "There is nothing better for a man, than that he should eat and drink, and that he should make his soul enjoy good in his labour. This also I saw, that it was from the hand of God." In this day and age, I am curious. I know if I work hard I can attain things and take joy in those things, but if all is vanity, and yet I take part in them, yet I worked for them, I'm not sinning against God am I? I know that anything you put before God is idolatry and sinful. But in this case, is all really vanity? I know that every good thing comes from above. I'm just wanting to clarify this one.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Vain in this case means empty.  Not fulfilling.   So while you may enjoy them they do not fill the deep needs of the soul and in the end may leave you feeling empty.  Jesus came that we might have life and have it more abundantly or fulfilling.  So pursuing Him in Scripture doesn't leave you spinning your wheels in useless endeavors.   I am not saying all hobbies are sin.  But if we make them a god, or what our lives revolve around, they can be made a sin.  

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

I going to go with Willa on this, for the most part, but Yowm also posted a good idea about the inner court area of the forum.

If you want to explore it a little more deeply, I suggest taking a look at:

http://biblehub.com/topical/v/vanity.htm 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Michael....

Welcome to Worthy,its nice to meet you!   You're on the right track,no -that is not "vanity" as you have described......you know it all comes from our Provider,everything good,where is the pride or vanity in that? You are not sinning,give God the Glory!

Deuteronomy 8:18New King James Version (NKJV)

18 “And you shall remember the Lord your God, for it is He who gives you power to get wealth, that He may establish His covenant which He swore to your fathers, as it is this day.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying the fruits of you labor and then we can  Bless others as we have been Blessed......Praise Jesus!

With love-in Christ,Kwik

I sent you a PM with some helpful posting info (This is an "answer" Forum)......The Outer Court & Seekers Forums are for unbelievers,seekers & guests to begin Threads & ask us questions about our Faith.....I've explained further in your personal message        Again,Welcome to Worthy