Robert William

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  317
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

The angel in Rev 18:1 had great authority. In Thayer's Greek Lexicon, one definition of exousia (the Greek word used for "authority" or "power" (KJV)) is "the power of rule or government". My thought process immediately went to Isaiah 9:6

[Isa 9:6 KJV] 6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

God has given all authority in heaven and earth to Christ:

[Mat 28:18 KJV] 18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

[Jhn 3:35 KJV] 35 The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.

[Jhn 17:2 KJV] 2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

Christ has great authority, the greatest authority on all the earth because it was given to him by the Father, the king of Heaven and Earth.

For these reasons, it seems evident to me that Christ is that angel in Revelation 18:1.

Rev 18:1 (KJV) And after these things I saw another angel come down from heaven, having great power; and the earth was lightened with his glory