• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  870
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/22/1968

How To Respond To Suffering, Affliction and Trouble

Bible Reading: I Thessalonians 1; Hebrews 2.

Aim: To understand and respond correctly to suffering, affliction and trouble.

Introduction: We all experience trouble in life. The causes may be ourself, others or Satan. God permits trouble to bring out the best in us. Satan seeks to use trouble to bring out vthe worst in us and to cause more trouble. We can gain victory over trouble if we understand what the Bible teaches about it. We experience small, medium and large trouble. How will you respond to trouble and suffering?

What Bible Truths Comfort Us In Suffering? And the LORD said, I have surely seen the affliction of my people which are in Egypt, and have heard their cry by reason of their taskmasters; for I know their sorrows; Exodus 3:7 And when we cried unto the LORD God of our fathers, the LORD heard our voice, and looked on our affliction, and our labour, and our oppression: Deuteronomy 26:7 

And she vowed a vow, and said, O LORD of hosts, if thou wilt indeed look on the affliction of thine handmaid, and remember me, and not forget thine handmaid, but wilt give unto thine handmaid a man child, then I will give him unto the LORD all the days of his life, and there shall no razor come upon his head. I Samuel 1:11 Now, behold, in my trouble I have prepared for the house of the LORD an hundred thousand talents of gold, I Chronicles 22:14 But when they in their trouble did turn unto the LORD God of Israel, and sought him, he was found of them. 2 Chronicles 15:4 And when he was in affliction, he besought the LORD his God, and humbled himself greatly before the God of his fathers, 2 Chronicles 33:12 Yet man is born unto trouble, as the sparks fly upward. Job 5:7 Did not I weep for him that was in trouble? was not my soul grieved for the poor? Job 30:25 Which I have reserved against the time of trouble, against the day of battle and war? Job 38:23 Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins. Psalm 25:18 For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.

Psalm 27:5: I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy: for thou hast considered my trouble; thou hast known my soul in adversities; Psalm 31:7 Blessed is he that considereth the poor: the LORD will deliver him in time of trouble. Psalm 41:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1
And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me. Psalm 50:15 Give us help from trouble: for vain is the help of man. Psalm 60:11 He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him. Psalm 91:15 Then they cried unto the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them out of their distresses. Psalm 107:6 Consider mine affliction, and deliver me: for I do not forget thy law. Psalm 119:153
And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; Unless thy law had been my delights, I should then have perished in mine affliction. Psalm 119:92 Confidence in an unfaithful man in time of trouble is like a broken tooth, and a foot out of joint. Proverbs 25:19 And though the Lord give you the bread of adversity, and the water of affliction, yet shall not thy teachers be removed into a corner any more, but thine eyes shall see thy teachers: Isaiah 30:20 Behold, I have refined thee, but not with silver; I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction. Isaiah 48:10 In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them: in his love and in his pity he redeemed them; and he bare them, and carried them all the days of old. Isaiah 63:9 I will go and return to my place, till they acknowledge their offence, and seek my face: in their affliction they will seek me early. Hosea 5:15 The LORD is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him. Nah.1:7
When Jesus understood it, he said unto them, Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me.

Matthew 26:10 And have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time: afterward, when affliction or persecution ariseth for the word’s sake, immediately they are offended. Mark 4:19 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. Romans 8:18 But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spare you. I Corinthians 7:28 Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God. 2 Corinthians 1:4
“knowing, that as ye are partakers of the sufferings, so shall ye be also of the consolation.” 2 Cor. 1:7 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; 2 Corinthians 4:17 How that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality. 2 Corinthians 8:2 Notwithstanding ye have well done, that ye did communicate with my affliction. Phil 4:14 And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost: Therefore, brethren, we were comforted over you in all our affliction and distress by your faith: 

I Thess 1:6,7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. Galatians 1:7
Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you; 2 Thessalonians 1:6
That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; Philippians 3:10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings. Hebrews 2:10 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season; Hebrews 11:25

Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled; Hebrews 12:15

Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. James 1:27 Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience. James 5:10 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ’s sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy. I Peter 4:13 Conclusion: When you experience Suffering, Affliction and Trouble will you trust God and claim these promises, or will you complain?

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

Kiwi praise the Lord.      

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,524
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them to present himself before the Lord.  And the Lord said to Satan, “From where have you come?” Satan answered the Lord and said, “From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down on it.”  And the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil? He still holds fast his integrity, although you incited me against him to destroy him without reason.” Then Satan answered the Lord and said, “Skin for skin! All that a man has he will give for his life.  But stretch out your hand and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse you to your face.”  And the Lord said to Satan, “Behold, he is in your hand; only spare his life.”

So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord and struck Job with loathsome sores from the sole of his foot to the crown of his head.  And he took a piece of broken pottery with which to scrape himself while he sat in the ashes.

Then his wife said to him, “Do you still hold fast your integrity? Curse God and die.”  But he said to her, “You speak as one of the foolish women would speak. Shall we receive good from God, and shall we not receive evil?” In all this Job did not sin with his lips.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

2 Corinthians 4:8-9

We praise God in the midst of suffering Job 2:9-10

Suffering prepares us for more glory 2 Corinthians 4:17-18

While we are suffering we need to say in close communication with God.

If we remain faithful to Christ during our suffering we will be rewarded.

We trust and have faith in God during our suffering. 2 Corinthians 1:8-9

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

6 hours ago, KiwiChristian said:

How To Respond To Suffering, Affliction and Trouble

I have had some experiences with these recently, calling the Lord Jesus for help and trusting in Him has helped me greatly.

And we have to know how to differentiate what is from God or what is not, for example when something tries to convince you of something contrary to what God says in His Word.

Sometimes I feel like I am in a situation that there's no way out but the Lord always takes me back.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  870
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/22/1968

4 hours ago, 4LdKHVCzRDj2 said:

I have had some experiences with these recently, calling the Lord Jesus for help and trusting in Him has helped me greatly.

And we have to know how to differentiate what is from God or what is not, for example when something tries to convince you of something contrary to what God says in His Word.

Sometimes I feel like I am in a situation that there's no way out but the Lord always takes me back.

Exactly, it CAN be difficult to discern HIS will from our own will, etc.

Sometimes i pray and pray and the issue does not go away.

THOSE times are tough. 

I have to keep reminding myself that hey, my God knows what is best for me more than I do.

• Thumbs Up 1