IGNORED

Would having special services for Pastors or other members be considered Idolatry?

notsolostsoul

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  419
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, warrior12 said:

All denominations worship does not worship in  the same manner.  In some, tongues are not spoken, the congregation is asked to stand while the word is read ect.   The Pentecostals or the ones I am know usually have extravagant or should I say dynamic worship service and that includes their functions.   Their pastor appreciation can be seen as a overkill to the person looking in from the outside or the visitor.  Collection plates are passed around and the proceeds for that day goes towards the pastor .

Baptist may be given a package or envelope with someone saying a few words about the pastor appreciation, short and to the point, with no one knowing what's in the package.   

I myself see nothing wrong in saying thank you to the leader of  the flock whom the flock has with their own mind and conscience agrees to give him a token of appreciation.   We give one another gifts and i don't see any different of a pastor.   It's the intent of the heart to give and share in love of the family.  

If you are forced to give, then that becomes a different story.

Thank you Warrior!!!

This has explained a lot. I have visited different Baptist churches, which is different from the church I was raised in. So seeing this was very new to me. 

There were even differences between the Baptist churches, so I didn't know if this is a practice of the Religion or of the individual Church. 

I'm use to tithes and offerings but as I said in the OP there are extra collections plates.

One Church in particular collected for the band and the chior. I was taught, theses services were for the Lord so members were not paid for praising the Lord. It got so bad that over the years members of the band quit the band and barely attend the church now, because some got paid more than others.

So for me to be from a background of The Church is about the Lord. To see so much revolve around money was discouraging. Especially since Jesus didn't do his works for money. Thus the reason I asked would this be a form of Idoltary- meaning they focused more on the MONEY, than PRAISING THE LORD. (Definition of idoltry)

As I said I have been to other Baptist Churches and they did not operate the same. The members did most of the services voluntarily. Appreciation was shown with a small notion not a service.

I may have just come upon a bad church. Unfortunately they would be seen as a representative of the religion and why bad stereotypes form.

Without seeking inquiry into why the differences, there would be no understanding, but there is Hate based on lies.

(Side note, from the other side. Catholics do believe in the diety of Jesus, and they do not praise Mary and the saints as if they are God, so no idolatry exist. These are false beliefs from people who don't bother to find out why the difference or just refuse to because they believe their way of practicing is better than others. Just as the speaking in tongues in some places and not in others.)

If you are about the Truth, why not find out the Truth. Ask not immediately accuse.

Sorry warrior12 for the extra in my reply. It is not directed toward you personally.

I just don't like all the division amongst Christians, especially when it comes from misunderstands of differences. These differences are small compare to the True purpose of Jesus/Gods.

They do more for the fight than the True Cause. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

17 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Anyone who has a part of a Ministry should never reply in a way that  is haughty, defensive, prideful or angry. That is not what God wants for those who teach us His Word. It is not a good reflection on the man who is the "man of the cloth".

Hi,  You don't even participate in corporate worship, is that right?

As to saying a pastor could refuse to accept anyone's appreciation- well I have to be blunt- that would be the sin of pride raising it's head. Better for a pastor to say, "thanks that is very kind of you. It is nice to be appreciated."

As to tithing, a secondary subject; let me just say if one were to tithe a waitress they would be known to all as a piker a cheapskate, for a tithe by itself is a bit of an insult, to a waitress or waiter anyway, and I think perhaps to God as well.

One should not confuse gifts to God as pay to a pastor. They are different things.  Again as one who had refused to accept gifts and gratuities, I learned  better, and to recognize that refusal as being my pride and a sin on my part, for it denies the generous heart of a brother or sister. It is absolutely false humility, and an insult to the gift giver, a statement that your appreciation is not accepted. I learned to say "thanks" instead.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

[for me anyway] whosoever the pastor is should insist that they do this not, and should rather insist that all focus, all glory, all attention must be toward the Lord Jesus Christ, and not toward men: but if he allows it, there shall what he values be also!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

God loves a cheerful giver, so does  a pastor I suppose, so do most people.

Nothing is more a bore than the game played at a restaurant when a person will not let another pay the check.  "No I'll get it", "no, I'll get it." "No I'll get it" "no here, here is for mine and the tip". What nonsense- Just say, "thanks that is kind of you."  

Is that  so damaging, to the soul, the saying  of thanks? Go ahead do damage to the evil self pride, try it say ," thanks". 

Edited by Neighbor