• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  419
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

What is your favorite Parable?

Can you elaborate on its meaning?

If you can, break it down so a babe, newbie or novice can understand, because there are new comers to Worthy Daily. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

the 4 soils- the word( seed) is accepted by different people in different ways we can see in real life

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

7 minutes ago, Yowm said:

This list may help..

http://swapmeetdave.com/Bible/Parables/List-In-Order.pdf

I'll go with the Prodigal Son although it may be better called The Prodigal Father since it was the Father who lavished grace on his sons.

It also shows God's eagerness to see one of His come home regardless of the wasted life we lived. 

And it shows the danger of self righteousness as reflected in the older brother's attitude.

thats the one I would choose also. Is there a way I can get this list it wont save

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

Thanks so much,

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  419
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

3 servants given talents

To be given a gift, so valuable and not multiply it, serves no one.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,556
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

11 hours ago, notsolostsoul said:

What is your favorite Parable?

Can you elaborate on its meaning?

If you can, break it down so a babe, newbie or novice can understand, because there are new comers to Worthy Daily. 

To  "break down a parable of Jesus one might want to first read why He spoke in parables to some in the first place. So  a read of Matthew 13 is where I suggest starting. Plus Jesus said he  is not starting something new, that he is a fulfillment of what has already been said or prophesied. Jesus referenced the Bible He read, studied, and prayed over, when He spoke, and he did His earthly missionary journey within that confine,  one of fulfillment:

The Parable of the Sower

13 That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat beside the sea. And great crowds gathered about him, so that he got into a boat and sat down. And the whole crowd stood on the beach.  And he told them many things in parables, saying: “A sower went out to sow. And as he sowed, some seeds fell along the path, and the birds came and devoured them.  Other seeds fell on rocky ground, where they did not have much soil, and immediately they sprang up, since they had no depth of soil,  but when the sun rose they were scorched. And since they had no root, they withered away.  Other seeds fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked them. Other seeds fell on good soil and produced grain, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.  He who has ears, let him hear.”

The Purpose of the Parables

Then the disciples came and said to him, “Why do you speak to them in parables?” And he answered them, “To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. For to the one who has, more will be given, and he will have an abundance, but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.  This is why I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand.  Indeed, in their case the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled that says:

“‘“You will indeed hear but never understand,
and you will indeed see but never perceive.”
For this people's heart has grown dull,
 and with their ears they can barely hear,
 and their eyes they have closed,
lest they should see with their eyes
and hear with their ears
and understand with their heart
 and turn, and I would heal them.’

But blessed are your eyes, for they see, and your ears, for they hear.  For truly, I say to you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.

The Parable of the Sower Explained

“Hear then the parable of the sower:  When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart. This is what was sown along the path.  As for what was sown on rocky ground, this is the one who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy,  yet he has no root in himself, but endures for a while, and when tribulation or persecution arises on account of the word, immediately he falls away. As for what was sown among thorns, this is the one who hears the word, but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and it proves unfruitful. As for what was sown on good soil, this is the one who hears the word and understands it. He indeed bears fruit and yields, in one case a hundredfold, in another sixty, and in another thirty.”

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

3 hours ago, Neighbor said:

To  "break down a parable of Jesus one might want to first read why He spoke in parables to some in the first place. So  a read of Matthew 13 is where I suggest starting. Plus Jesus said he  is not starting something new, that he is a fulfillment of what has already been said or prophesied. Jesus referenced the Bible He read, studied, and prayed over, when He spoke, and he did His earthly missionary journey within that confine,  one of fulfillment:

The Parable of the Sower

13 That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat beside the sea. And great crowds gathered about him, so that he got into a boat and sat down. And the whole crowd stood on the beach.  And he told them many things in parables, saying: “A sower went out to sow. And as he sowed, some seeds fell along the path, and the birds came and devoured them.  Other seeds fell on rocky ground, where they did not have much soil, and immediately they sprang up, since they had no depth of soil,  but when the sun rose they were scorched. And since they had no root, they withered away.  Other seeds fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked them. Other seeds fell on good soil and produced grain, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.  He who has ears, let him hear.”

The Purpose of the Parables

Then the disciples came and said to him, “Why do you speak to them in parables?” And he answered them, “To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. For to the one who has, more will be given, and he will have an abundance, but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.  This is why I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand.  Indeed, in their case the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled that says:

“‘“You will indeed hear but never understand,
and you will indeed see but never perceive.”
For this people's heart has grown dull,
 and with their ears they can barely hear,
 and their eyes they have closed,
lest they should see with their eyes
and hear with their ears
and understand with their heart
 and turn, and I would heal them.’

But blessed are your eyes, for they see, and your ears, for they hear.  For truly, I say to you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.

The Parable of the Sower Explained

“Hear then the parable of the sower:  When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart. This is what was sown along the path.  As for what was sown on rocky ground, this is the one who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy,  yet he has no root in himself, but endures for a while, and when tribulation or persecution arises on account of the word, immediately he falls away. As for what was sown among thorns, this is the one who hears the word, but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and it proves unfruitful. As for what was sown on good soil, this is the one who hears the word and understands it. He indeed bears fruit and yields, in one case a hundredfold, in another sixty, and in another thirty.”

As for what was sown on rocky ground, this is the one who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy,  yet he has no root in himself, but endures for a while, and when tribulation or persecution arises on account of the word, immediately he falls away. 

WOW .  herein is simplicity of truth.     Let us examine that EXPLAINED by JESUS parable.

IF we notice it says they REICEVED the WORD, and with JOY,   let us rejoice in that beauty.  with joy they received it .   man and what a joy it is to receive THIS.

now for the warning part.    THE last TWO WORDS  says it all.      FALL AWAY.   and paul and peter BOTH KNEW this could happen.

SO I suggest we look out for one another , we test all things said.  and we warn one another if we know one is false to steer clear of that false one .

And on that note , I leave us with more words from GOD.

I  have THIS against you CHURCH,    you allow that false prophetess to teach and seduce the people.    I really aint the bad guy neighbor,    I just love you is all.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

14 hours ago, Yowm said:

This list may help..

http://swapmeetdave.com/Bible/Parables/

I'll go with the Prodigal Son although it may be better called The Prodigal Father since it was the Father who lavished grace on his sons.

It also shows God's eagerness to see one of His come home regardless of the wasted life we lived. 

And it shows the danger of self righteousness as reflected in the older brother's attitude.

Very good example yowm.    when a self righteous person sees another having the same gift of salvation , they often DO get mad , or the same treatement

by others.  THEY DO GET MAD, they wanted both the recognition and praise.  YET have forgotten the praise which comes from GOD only.

WE should just be so greatful to have been spared and doing all to both warn and encourage all to come to Christ and all to remain living by HIS SPIRIT

and not to follow the flesh.    man that is a beauty you said their yowm.  a beauty.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

I like the Parable of the Sheep and Goats Matthew 25:31-46

This parable is a part of the Olivet Discourse and it concerns Jesus' return to glory to set up His kingdom at the beginning of the 1000 year millennium.

All those at that time will be brought before the Lord and He will separate them.

The sheep on Jesus' right hand are blessed by God the Father and given an inheritance.

The goats on Jesus' left are cursed and will experience hell-fire.

The parable teaches that salvation is by faith through the grace of God and not by our good works. The good works mentioned are not the cause of salvation but the effect of salvation.

The core message is that God's people will love others. Good works will result from our relationship to the Shepherd. Followers of Christ will treat other with kindness. The goats can perform acts of kindness but their hearts are not right with God.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1