• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

On 11/16/2017 at 7:56 PM, shiloh357 said:

But that is not how we determine guilt.   This is a very dangerous direction we are going when a person's life can be destroyed over allegations that never have to be proven, where someone's character can be defamed and they have no legal recourse because instead of the usual jurisprudence that we are entitled to, people can simply be accused of something and the public gets to decide if they agree or not.  

If Moore is destroyed because of this, it sets the precedent for anyone to be treated that way, particularly by people who want to seek revenge or something.  

Do you not have a problem with that?

We determine guilt this way each and every day.  The court of public opinion is in session each and every day.  

OJ's life has been ruined by the court of public opinion even though the court of law found him not guilty.  

Harvey Weinstein's life has been ruined without a single piece of what you could call evidence, by the court of public opinion.

There are a whole lot of people on this forum that have judged Hillary to be guilty even though there has never been a single charge filed against her.  They deemed her unworthy to vote for, just like people will have to decide about Moore.

This is also not something new, do you remember Gary Hart?   This has been going on for a long time.   

This is also not just one person vs Moore, there is a growing list of people that have no reason to lie and have nothing to do with each other.   

I could give you a whole list of reasons why I feel that Moore is guilty and you can give me a whole list of things why you think he is not.  In the end we each have to make up our own mind.  If you live in Alabama you will have an additional step of choosing to vote for him or not.  If he is elected then the Senate will have to make up their minds what to do about it.  

Guest shiloh357
On 11/16/2017 at 8:48 PM, Running Gator said:

We determine guilt this way each and every day.  The court of public opinion is in session each and every day. 

It is one thing for the court of public opinion to hold to the view that he is guilty.  The problem is that people want there to be legal  consequences based on public opinion.   That is where the problem is.   Public opinion is not sufficient cause to defame someone to the point that he is denied a seat in Congress simply based on unproven allegations.

OJ's life has been ruined by the court of public opinion even though the court of law found him not guilty.  

No comparison at all.

Harvey Weinstein's life has been ruined without a single piece of what you could call evidence, by the court of public opinion.

I hold Weinstein to the same standard I hold Roy Moore to.   Weinstein made himself an easy target.   I suspect in Weinstein's case, the majority, if not all, of the accusations are false.   He offered women parts in movies in exchange for lewd sexual favors.  It is more likely that Weinstein isn't guilty of many of the crimes he is being accused of.  He is just a scumbag and it is not illegal to be scumbag.  

There are a whole lot of people on this forum that have judged Hillary to be guilty even though there has never been a single charge filed against her.  They deemed her unworthy to vote for, just like people will have to decide about Moore.

No, comparison.  There is a mountain of evidence against Hillary and even those in her own party are leaving her to twist in the wind.

This is also not just one person vs Moore, there is a growing list of people that have no reason to lie and have nothing to do with each other.   

It's the same tactic they used against Trump in the election.  When Trump threatened a lawsuit, those women suddenly went silent and the accusations went away.   In Trump's case, the allegations had no merit and several of the women had credibility issues.    The same tactic is being used here.

I could give you a whole list of reasons why I feel that Moore is guilty and you can give me a whole list of things why you think he is not.  In the end we each have to make up our own mind.  If you live in Alabama you will have an additional step of choosing to vote for him or not.  If he is elected then the Senate will have to make up their minds what to do about it.  

Your opinion and my opinion and the opinion of Senate are not the legal standard for enacting legal consequences.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

2 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

Your opinion and my opinion and the opinion of Senate are not the legal standard for enacting legal consequences.

People are free to base their vote on anything they think it relevant.  Everytime we go to the voting booth we use our opinion to do you what call enacting legal consequences

Guest shiloh357
On 11/23/2017 at 7:15 AM, Running Gator said:

People are free to base their vote on anything they think it relevant.  Everytime we go to the voting booth we use our opinion to do you what call enacting legal consequences

This is not about voting; and that is an awful comparison and really not analogous at all to the topic at hand.  Voting and accusing someone publicly of being guilty of a crime are not, at all, the same thing. 

This is about public opinion in the sense of speculation.   It is about judging a man guilty and demanding consequences based solely upon suspicion.  There should be NO consequences doled out based on public opinion.   Public opinion is meaningless.  If he has committed a crime, it needs to be litigated in a court of law. 

If these alleged "victims" are telling the truth, then they should sue him and let the evidence against him be brought forth.   If all they are looking for is a pay off, then it really casts a shadow on their alleged victimhood.

Edited by shiloh357