Depressed Christian Dating Problem

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I am in relationship of 1 year and 3 month with my current girlfriend however My Mum thinks I should date other women and compare them to my girlfriend because my Mum feels my girlfriend is not a strong decision maker which could damage our future. Would you compare your current girlfriend because her flaws to other women and decide from there who you are going to marry or accept her for what she is? My Girlfriend is Godly but i do not think comparing is right

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,857
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

Welcome!

Are you a born-again believer in Christ? If so, then it is His will, and not your mother's will, you should be concerned with following in such a situation. Are you praying to God for wisdom about who He wants you to marry? And for starters, what do you see marriage as? Have you ever heard teachings on what Biblical marriage is and it's purposes?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,014
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,276
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Above poster  has some good things to consider/answer.

I think it is wonderful that your girlfriend is godly!   I don't know your age, if you are considering marriage...but if you care enough for her and she is godly, that sounds good.    Again, it might depend on your age and experience.

Also, if you were to marry, do you feel you could help her with the decision making...that is, would she be receptive to your input?

Thanks for your answer. But if you had a current girlfriend would you date other girls at the same time and compare???

Probably not. But the Bible doesn't recognize "dating" as a thing. There are unmarried and married people. Those who are unmarried often have little contact until they get married. The idea of "dating" is a very modern concept, and frankly considering the divorce rate, the idea that we should be allowed to choose our own spouses through dating doesn't seem to be that important like people think it is.

No person is perfect. If you're just going to "shop around" and hope to find one, you'll only be disappointed. Is this woman truly sold out for Jesus, prepared to fulfill the Godly role of a Biblically-submissive wife and mother? If so, she's a candidate. If not, flee from that relationship. Your mom wants you to date around to compare people? Compare what about them? What are your mother's standards even? Is she concerned with you finding a Godly wife? If you're the man, you're to be the leader of the home and ultimately the decision maker anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

Hey BK110,

My Mum thinks my girlfriend is not a strong person which she feels can hinder my future. So she feels that i should find a girl who is strong and compare both of them together. And my girlfriend does not come from a good home.

God Bless

9 hours ago, BK1110 said:

Probably not. But the Bible doesn't recognize "dating" as a thing. There are unmarried and married people. Those who are unmarried often have little contact until they get married. The idea of "dating" is a very modern concept, and frankly considering the divorce rate, the idea that we should be allowed to choose our own spouses through dating doesn't seem to be that important like people think it is.

No person is perfect. If you're just going to "shop around" and hope to find one, you'll only be disappointed. Is this woman truly sold out for Jesus, prepared to fulfill the Godly role of a Biblically-submissive wife and mother? If so, she's a candidate. If not, flee from that relationship. Your mom wants you to date around to compare people? Compare what about them? What are your mother's standards even? Is she concerned with you finding a Godly wife? If you're the man, you're to be the leader of the home and ultimately the decision maker anyway.

Hey BK110,

My Mum thinks my girlfriend is not a strong person which she feels can hinder my future. So she feels that i should find a girl who is strong and compare both of them together. And my girlfriend does not come from a good home.

God Bless

"Strong" is pretty vague. But again, you have to ask yourself if this woman meets God's criteria for a wife, not your mother's. You haven't even mentioned what you yourself think about your girlfriend either.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

I posted a reply to another thread just like this one :noidea:

Hey BK1110,

My Mother feels that my girlfriend is not strong when faced with difficult decision, i feel that my girlfriend is kind lovely  person who is willinging to learn from their mistakes she is kind hearted. But occasionally i think she tends to overthink things a bit too much sometimes also  she tends not to believe in herself sometimes.r