• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  903
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

I'm kind of surprised it hasn't started yet; it's as much of a holiday tradition at Worthy as eggnog! :D

• Haha 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

Guess you weren't online yet:

• Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, John Robinson said:

I'm kind of surprised it hasn't started yet; it's as much of a holiday tradition at Worthy as eggnog! :D

I am waiting until December to get into that kind of debate. We still have Thanksgiving to experience yet :)

images.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

Early settlers did not celebrate 'christmas'. But they did celebrate thanksgiving.

Historians do not definitively know the exact day and date, but it is universally agreed that Gov. William Bradford declared a day of thanksgiving after the successful harvest in the fall of 1621. 
In early autumn of 1621, the 53 surviving Pilgrims celebrated their successful harvest, as was the English custom. During this time, "many of the Indians coming... amongst the rest their great king Massasoit, with some ninety men." 
That 1621 celebration is remembered as the "First Thanksgiving in Plymouth." 
The Plymouth colonists and Wampanoag Indians shared an autumn harvest feast together. It is now acknowledged as one of the first Thanksgiving celebrations in the colonies. 

Christmas was not widely celebrated in early America. Most European settlers were Puritans, who did not believe the birth of Christ should be celebrated because his birth date was not given in the Bible. Furthermore, they believed that the celebration, particularly the more decadent aspects derived from pagan festivals, encouraged immoral behavior.

The celebration of Christmas was actually banned by the Puritan government in Massachusetts between 1659 and 1681. It remained unpopular through the American Revolution due to its association with English customs. 

It was not until the early 19th century that Christmas began to take hold in America, as authors such as Washington Irving and Charles Dickens redefined it as a peaceful family holiday.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

46 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

Early settlers did not celebrate 'christmas'. But they did celebrate thanksgiving.

It was not until the early 19th century that Christmas began to take hold in America, as authors such as Washington Irving and Charles Dickens redefined it as a peaceful family holiday.

when and how was it not a peaceful family holiday?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

l don't think Christmas is satanic but it IS kind of silly.  All the traditions around Christmas have nothing to do with Christ.  Still, if people want to celebrate the day, I'm sure God is okay with it.  Of course, there will always be the kill joys who try to rain on everyone else, no matter what the holiday.

• Thumbs Up 2

When I was a kid a boy I knew had been found abandoned as a baby in a trash can. It made the local news, but no one claimed him. After a while he was placed in an orphanage, and that's where his adoptive parents found him at two. The raised him as their own, and loved him beyond measure (truth to tell I was a little jealous of him, because his mom and dad doted on him).

The only problem was his birthday. Bear in mind this was in the mid-fifties, and the county people really had no way of determining the exact day of his birth, so his parents randomly picked a day. And that became his birthday, from then until now.

All that to say, no one knows the day Jesus was born (and I tend to agree with those who say it was in the autumn), but then, neither do I care. Most Christians pick December 25th, and I'm fine with that. All I DO care about is He was born, He saved me, and I get to celebrate His birth with a whole bunch of God's folk! Party time! :D

Edited by John Robinson
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

29 minutes ago, John Robinson said:

no one knows the day Jesus was born

Why,  oh why,  do so many on earth believe this ? 

.---------- --------------- ------------------- ------------------- ------------------ -------------------

....................... .................................. ......................................... ......................................... ......................................... ........................................

----------- --------------- ------------------- ------------------- ------------------- ------------------

(footnote: for gentiles: He was born on His birthday ! )

• Oy Vey! 1

Thanks for clearing that up, brother Cobalt! :D

Edited by John Robinson
  • Oy Vey! 1

6 minutes ago, Cobalt1959 said:

The fun has already started in the other thread.  Implying that very few people read the Bible and that's why we are so stupid and celebrate Christmas.

Hey, they don't call it "the most wonderful time of the year" for nothin'! 

Edited by John Robinson