• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

7 hours ago, John Robinson said:

I'm kind of surprised it hasn't started yet; it's as much of a holiday tradition at Worthy as eggnog! :D

I used to call it the annual "Christmas is Evil" thread, and yeah, I'm kind of surprised someone hasn't started one yet. Thanksgiving is next week!  :laugh:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

3 hours ago, John Robinson said:

Hey, they don't call it "the most wonderful time of the year" for nothin'! 

I always wondered about that song. :laugh:

There was nothing "wonderful" about working on Christmas day outside in a snowstorm on a 12 hour shift. Frostbite could be a problem, but the "frost nibble" would drive you nuts when your finger got stiff enough holding on to a screwdriver was a problem. After I got out of the Air Force I decided the only place I wanted to see ice and snow was on the weather channel!

Come to think of it, the rampant consumerism might come in handy this year. I'm in the market for some furniture so some good prices that might be considered "wonderful" but I'm not all that excited about buying furniture.  :laugh:

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

8 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

Early settlers did not celebrate 'christmas'. But they did celebrate thanksgiving.

Early settlers rejected the hedonism associated with british Christmas traditions at the time. It was the excessive feasting etc that had zero to do with Christ that caused them to reject Christmas.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

Candy canes are evil. Alllllllllll that sugar. 

Most commercial fruitcakes are definitely evil. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.14
  • Days Won:  78

6 hours ago, Cobalt1959 said:

Decorum usually demands that you wait until after Thanksgiving.  Then people start the holiday tradition of calling you a Satanist, post bogus assertions that Jeremiah 10 is describing a Christmas tree and that if you have one in your house you are worshiping Saturnalia, or some other pagan god.  Even they don't even know which pagan god it is and can't tell you when ask which one it is or how you are actually worshiping that god, but that's a small point.  Of course, your salvation is going to be called into question as well, but that's part of the fun . . . 

It's easy to tell that you have been down that road before, Cobalt.  those threads are so predictable they're funny. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

8 hours ago, other one said:

when and how was it not a peaceful family holiday?

Have you ever stopped to think that some family get togethers are a nightmare? Disfunctional families who fight. The only time they get together is Thanksgiving.

Guest shiloh357
3 hours ago, ayin jade said:

Candy canes are evil. Alllllllllll that sugar. 

Most commercial fruitcakes are definitely evil. 

I heard a rumor that is actually only one fruitcake and it gets passed around and re-gifted every year, LOL   I don't know anyone who likes fruitcake.   I heard it is the American take on the British "figgy pudding (which contrary to the name, is not made from, nor contains figs)." 

Guest shiloh357
3 hours ago, ayin jade said:

Early settlers rejected the hedonism associated with british Christmas traditions at the time. It was the excessive feasting etc that had zero to do with Christ that caused them to reject Christmas.

In merry old England, Christmas was a drunken festival that went on for days.   A famous Christmas drinking song from England is the Gloucestershire  Wassail song.

Edited by shiloh357

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

5 hours ago, ayin jade said:

Not quite. They objected to the Papist Christmas established early on. Sadly Christians later adopted this thinking to whitewash it - read what Yeshua says about 'whitewashed sepulchers'.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

12 hours ago, other one said:

when and how was it not a peaceful family holiday?

It was established by Rome. Its date was set as the Sun-Day god of Dec 25th. Yet another Roman Authority  date followed by protestants and heathen alike.

The festival of Sol Invictus on the 25th December in the later Roman empire combined the festivals of both the old sun god (Sol Indiges) and the new official sun god (Deus Sol Invictus). The Circus Maximus had been dedicated to Sol Indiges since ancient times, and then was dedicated to Sol Invictus. The Roman emperor Aurelian created the cult of Sol Invictus during his reign in AD 270-275 (in the 3rd century) and, on his coins, Sol was described as ‘Dominus Imperii Romani’, the official deity of the Roman empire. The cult of Sol Invictus was centred in Rome but it was followed across the Roman empire. Sol Invictus, the god of the sun, was one of the most important gods and he symbolised victory, as he defeated darkness and rose every morning. Sol Invictus was the patron of Roman soldiers. (See The Cult of Sol Invictus by G H Halsberghe (1972) and Roman circuses: arenas for chariot-racing by John Humphrey (1986).)

[https://www.thecolchesterarchaeologist.co.uk/25th-december-the-roman-festival-of-sol-invictus/]

• Thumbs Up 1