• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,035
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

3 hours ago, Robert William said:

JEFF is it wrong to celebrate the birth of Christ.

I'm not Jeff, but I would think it would depend on how one does that....   I have distant relatives that throw a big party Christmas eve and all get drunk and do things I can't talk about here....    I would hope people would disagree with that.....

Some people happen to have looked into history and think having a Christmas Tree is just as bad.

So I would just think it would depend on how one celebrates and who decides what's good or not.  Personally I celebrate Jesus's birthday on September 11th.....     and so to speak his rebirth on Passover.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.12
  • Days Won:  78

8 minutes ago, other one said:

I don't know if you've ever seen one get serious, but it is quite a sight....   we saw two big bulls get into a fight two years ago and it was really kind of frightening just to watch.   They are much stronger than cows.   grunting and throwing up dirt with their front feet and working around to get under the other and using their heads and shoulders completely lift each  other off the ground.....    2000 pounds kind of tossed up in the air...  luckily they were not really close.

:oThat would be a frightening thing to behold.  Just seeing deer fight is scary but buffalo??? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MorningGlory said:

:oThat would be a frightening thing to behold.  Just seeing deer fight is scary but buffalo??? 

It was in Yellowstone.....   and I was so into watching I didn't think to record it....    some photographer I am.

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, simplejeff said:

And this is somehow related to observing the Feasts Yahweh says to observe how ???

Col 2:16-17

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

(the body is of Christ, ie, not of the Law)

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

The Jews celebrate Purim and Feast of Dedication (Hannukah)....yet neither of these feasts were commanded by the Lord.  Jesus didn't stay away from the temple at the Feast of Dedication (John 10)  The father of the prodigal son made a feast and celebrated when his son returned...........that wasn't commanded by God either, yet it wasn't a sin.  We likewise may celebrate some other good news or event from time to time without it being sinful.  If we desire to rejoice in and celebrate the birth of Christ.......the light of the world coming to a people sitting in darkness.......something that is hard not to rejoice in.........that is not a sin either, even though it wasn't commanded.  We, being free, are free to rejoice and celebrate if we want, though it isn't obligatory.  (As long as we don't sin in the way that we celebrate, ie, greed, excess of wine, worldliness, idolatry, etc.)  When we're happy about something we just celebrate, it's a time to laugh and rejoice.  God didn't command that we iron our clothes either, but when they need ironing we just iron them, because it's a time to iron.  It's of no interest to me what pagans celebrate and when, I don't care to look into what they do.......if I choose to celebrate the birth of the Saviour, what pagans do or have done in the past has ought to do with me because it certainly isn't any pagan thing I am celebrating when I celebrate Immanuel.  Goodness, the wise men celebrated, the angels and shepherds celebrated, and Mary and Joseph must have celebrated (rejoiced) since moms and dads usually do when their baby is born......friends and family come over to visit mom, see the baby and congratulate dad...and often even bring food and gifts and balloons....yep, sounds like a celebration to me.....REJOICE!! (if you want to) but don't follow the world into excesses.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

1 hour ago, other one said:

I'm not Jeff, but I would think it would depend on how one does that....   I have distant relatives that throw a big party Christmas eve and all get drunk and do things I can't talk about here....    I would hope people would disagree with that.....

Some people happen to have looked into history and think having a Christmas Tree is just as bad.

So I would just think it would depend on how one celebrates and who decides what's good or not.  Personally I celebrate Jesus's birthday on September 11th.....     and so to speak his rebirth on Passover.

Very interesting .   Why on sept 11.    This is something I have never heard before.    Explain this other one. 

50 minutes ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

Very interesting .   Why on sept 11.    This is something I have never heard before.    Explain this other one. 

that is when I believe his birthday was.

• Thanks 1

Guest shiloh357

From a missionary stand point there is likely a very good reason that Christians decided to to choose Dec. 25th to celebrate the birth of Jesus and it has nothing to do with the silly conspiracy, junk history that has been used to denigrate Christmas by people who don't know what they are talking about.

I know a missionary to Japan who said that over in that country, they have their own pagan customs, not related to the neo-paganism in Europe or the pagan traditions of the ancient near east (Babylon).

The missionaries had a problem with those who became Christians in Japan integrating Japanese pagan customs into their Christian lives.   They were still celebrating the old customs and this had the effect of pretty much shipwrecking the faith of the new converts and luring them back to the old religions.

So the missionaries and church leaders in Japan developed new holidays for the Japanese believers that coincided on the pagan holidays.   They didn't want the holidays to fall on days that were different than the pagan days because the Christians would celebrate the new holidays, but still celebrate the pagan days when they rolled around.  So they made sure that the pagan holidays and the Christians celebrations occurred on the same day.

They were not attempting to adopt pagan customs in doing that.  They were combating them.  The Japanese Christians needed something to replace the old holidays.

The early Christians had to do the same thing when it came to the pagan traditions of Rome and Greece.  The conspiracy theory about all of this incorrectly argues that when the Greeks and Romans got saved, they retained their pagan customs and simply reinterpreted them in their worship of Jesus.   It states that they simply started celebrating the birth of Jesus on Dec. 25th like they did with Zeus or whatever.  That is simply not the case.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

36 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

From a missionary stand point there is likely a very good reason that Christians decided to to choose Dec. 25th to celebrate the birth of Jesus and it has nothing to do with the silly conspiracy, junk history that has been used to denigrate Christmas by people who don't know what they are talking about.

I know a missionary to Japan who said that over in that country, they have their own pagan customs, not related to the neo-paganism in Europe or the pagan traditions of the ancient near east (Babylon).

The missionaries had a problem with those who became Christians in Japan integrating Japanese pagan customs into their Christian lives.   They were still celebrating the old customs and this had the effect of pretty much shipwrecking the faith of the new converts and luring them back to the old religions.

So the missionaries and church leaders in Japan developed new holidays for the Japanese believers that coincided on the pagan holidays.   They didn't want the holidays to fall on days that were different than the pagan days because the Christians would celebrate the new holidays, but still celebrate the pagan days when they rolled around.  So they made sure that the pagan holidays and the Christians celebrations occurred on the same day.

They were not attempting to adopt pagan customs in doing that.  They were combating them.  The Japanese Christians needed something to replace the old holidays.

The early Christians had to do the same thing when it came to the pagan traditions of Rome and Greece.  The conspiracy theory about all of this incorrectly argues that when the Greeks and Romans got saved, they retained their pagan customs and simply reinterpreted them in their worship of Jesus.   It states that they simply started celebrating the birth of Jesus on Dec. 25th like they did with Zeus or whatever.  That is simply not the case.

Yes!  Simply take back  all days, pagans don't own the days that God made lol!

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest shiloh357
17 minutes ago, hmbld said:

Yes!  Simply take back  all days, pagans don't own the days that God made lol!

Exactly.  If the standard of logic is that having a Christian celebration on the same day of, or even looks similar to a pagan celebration, then Passover is pagan because it coincided with the ancient Egyptian worship of the lamb god, Amun. http://frumheretic.blogspot.com/2009/03/sheep-worship-in-ancient-egypt.html