• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,047
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

3 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

It was established by Rome. Its date was set as the Sun-Day god of Dec 25th. Yet another Roman Authority  date followed by protestants and heathen alike.

The festival of Sol Invictus on the 25th December in the later Roman empire combined the festivals of both the old sun god (Sol Indiges) and the new official sun god (Deus Sol Invictus). The Circus Maximus had been dedicated to Sol Indiges since ancient times, and then was dedicated to Sol Invictus. The Roman emperor Aurelian created the cult of Sol Invictus during his reign in AD 270-275 (in the 3rd century) and, on his coins, Sol was described as ‘Dominus Imperii Romani’, the official deity of the Roman empire. The cult of Sol Invictus was centred in Rome but it was followed across the Roman empire. Sol Invictus, the god of the sun, was one of the most important gods and he symbolised victory, as he defeated darkness and rose every morning. Sol Invictus was the patron of Roman soldiers. (See The Cult of Sol Invictus by G H Halsberghe (1972) and Roman circuses: arenas for chariot-racing by John Humphrey (1986).)

[https://www.thecolchesterarchaeologist.co.uk/25th-december-the-roman-festival-of-sol-invictus/]

I'm simply asking what they did that was not peaceful,  I understand all that.

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

8 minutes ago, other one said:

I'm simply asking what they did that was not peaceful,  I understand all that.

"They [the false prophets] have also healed the hurt of My people slightly [superficially], saying, "Peace, peace!" when there is no peace" (Jeremiah 6:14).

I am sure that the chariot races were 'peaceful' enough. But I do not feel it is right for me to follow this kind of thing. Like many celebrations, it is up to the individual to decide. There are a few deeper and more horrible pagan associations with Yule and X-mass, but I just do not like the hypocritical way the 'modern' Christian church enjoys Roman festivals all the while criticizing and demonizing the Papist church.
Baa-baa-Rome sheep...

Only important cults were celebrated with games (Ludi circenses) in the Roman circus. Sol Invictus was not only the sun god but he also presided over chariot-races in Roman circuses and was the special protector of quadrigae (Luna was the protector of bigae). So an ‘unusually large number’ of chariot-races were held in Rome on the 25th December for the ludi Solis – apparently, 36 chariot-races were held on that day instead of the usual twelve (On Roman time: the Codex-Calendar of 354 and the rhythms of urban life in Late Antiquity, by M R Salzman 1991).

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,047
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Semiramis started much of the traditions we do concerning December 25.   When Nimrod died she was afraid she'd loose her standing in society so she came up with the story of an evergreen sprouting and becoming full grown over night.  She claimed it was Nimrod come back to her....   said every year presents appeared under the tree.    There was a lot more to it than just that but as a whole it's not the kind of thing that should be posted here so I won't go into it.

I just couldn't get around the changed to a peaceful family thing.   I guess peaceful family thing could be different with different modern households now that I think about it.      chariot races....    football, Nascar races, all kinds of fighting besides boxing...

I'm not disputing what you are saying about the Romans and what they were doing, I just got hung up on the peaceful family thing.  I hadn't thought in those lines and I was curious.

Guest shiloh357

A lot of the stuff about Christmas  being "pagan" is based on junk history for which there is no archeological evidence to support and much of it is rumors that have been passed around stuff is assumed true without any kind real critical thinking or investigation.  And don't get me started on Alexander Hislop...

1 hour ago, other one said:

Semiramis started much of the traditions we do concerning December 25.   When Nimrod died she was afraid she'd loose her standing in society so she came up with the story of an evergreen sprouting and becoming full grown over night.  She claimed it was Nimrod come back to her....   said every year presents appeared under the tree.    There was a lot more to it than just that but as a whole it's not the kind of thing that should be posted here so I won't go into it.

Yes. It is horrific stuff; still practiced by 'modern' druids etc. Nimrod's 'pole' has the tinsel and baubles too. It goes way back but is here today. The mistletoe was supposedly the gonads of the oak; to kiss under that was a fertility thing and of course other things. 
She never did find that missing member, even though she was his mother/wife...  One very un-cool woman! She chopped him up but lost the missing part which haunted her. And the ham; oh brother, also nasty reminders too. There is also the false sacrifice and fake resurrection. So very few really study and see this for what it is. Leaven!

What is amazing is that so much of this info has been so carefully integrated into modern festivities. It is my contention that this is demonic, deliberate and while we all laugh about it and think we are just so very funny - are we mocking our Lord as well?

Edited by Justin Adams

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

2 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

"They [the false prophets] have also healed the hurt of My people slightly [superficially], saying, "Peace, peace!" when there is no peace" (Jeremiah 6:14).

I am sure that the chariot races were 'peaceful' enough. But I do not feel it is right for me to follow this kind of thing. Like many celebrations, it is up to the individual to decide.

When a man with a living soul and born again spirit by the Will of the Father in heaven is a member of ekklesia,

then it is not up to the individual to decide, according to Yahweh's Word once delivered Gospel.

• Oy Vey! 1

46 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

What is amazing is that so much of this info has been so carefully integrated into modern festivities. It is my contention that this is demonic, deliberate and while we all laugh about it and think we are just so very funny - are we mocking our Lord as well?

This is why it is not up to the individual to decide within the ekklesia, if they are subjects of Jesus, as Yahweh's Word States.

• Praise God! 1

3 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

Not quite. They objected to the Papist Christmas established early on. Sadly Christians later adopted this thinking to whitewash it - read what Yeshua says about 'whitewashed sepulchers'.

Do you mean that corpses are 'peaceful' in appearance ? 

... some even while singing : 

"God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

Let Nothing Ye Dismay........"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

The peace of those at ease with sin and the appearance of evil.

27 Woe to you Scribes and Pharisees, impostors, who are like white tombs, which from the outside appear lovely, but from within are full of the bones of the dead and all corruption! 28 So also you from the outside appear to the children of men as righteous, and from within are filled with evil and hypocrisy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest shiloh357

I have never been to anyone's home for a Christmas party or on Christmas day that had any pagan traditions going on.   It was just a decorated tree, maybe a nativity scene, some music, ugly Christmas sweaters, presents perhaps and food.   And that was it.   The ancient and/or neo-pagan traditions that everyone talks about are simply not a part of most people's celebration of Christmas.

Edited by shiloh357