IGNORED

is it HARD to READ.... EXCESSIVE ....capitalization?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Is it hard for others here to follow posts that  use lots of CAPITALIZED  words interspaced with lots of ....s?

I find I can hardly read them and am wondering?

I find it hard to read with comprehension because, I .... THEN.... have to.....READ one word ....AT....   A TIME. BY the....TIME  I get....THROUGH half..... a SENTENCE.... I .....DON'T see, .....nor remember..... the first HALF of it. Makes me weary  before I even figure out the topic. Just wondering, am I pretty much alone  with this problem or is it  something that affects others as well?

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  7

Hey Neighbor,

It's interesting that you ask this. And I look forward to reading responses.

I am probably one who plays with text and font a lot. I will have to pay more attention to when I do it.

When i get an email from home. I always know who has typed it because of the use of Capital letters. My dad always writes everything in capital letters.

Hope you have had a good week.

Blessings :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

Capitols really are too BIG. I'll make it easier for you. Hows this?..................................................................................   .:cool:

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  7

2 minutes ago, Gary Lee said:

Capitols really are too BIG. I'll make it easier for you. Hows this?..................................................................................   .:cool:

Oh my!!!! I need to find my glasses to read the post :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

On 11/17/2017 at 11:51 AM, Neighbor said:

Is it hard for others here to follow posts that  use lots of CAPITALIZED  words interspaced with lots of ....s?

I find I can hardly read them and am wondering?

I find it hard to read with comprehension because, I .... THEN.... have to.....READ one word ....AT....   A TIME. BY the....TIME  I get....THROUGH half..... a SENTENCE.... I .....DON'T see, .....nor remember..... the first HALF of it. Makes me weary  before I even figure out the topic. Just wondering, am I pretty much alone  with this problem or is it  something that affects others as well?

Yes, and it comes of as harsh.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Just now, Annette said:

Oh my!!!! I need to find my glasses to read the post :)

I need to have my eyes checked but I could actually read this.

4 minutes ago, Gary Lee said:

It is not only the small letters but the color of the font.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/17/2017 at 2:56 PM, Annette said:

Hey Neighbor,

It's interesting that you ask this. And I look forward to reading responses.

I am probably one who plays with text and font a lot. I will have to pay more attention to when I do it.

When i get an email from home. I always know who has typed it because of the use of Capital letters. My dad always writes everything in capital letters.

Hope you have had a good week.

Blessings :)

It is less the capitalization as much as the juxtaposition of capitalization, dot dot dots, and lower case lettered words, again and again and again  in sentences that makes them difficult to read by phrase and paragraph.  It instead becomes a bunch of disjointed words without a flow or thought being expressed. Forces reading it  ONE....word....AT...A...time..... without  picking ...UP the thought.... that.. IS being ....EXPRSSED,,,BY ....THE ...author.

It has the overall effect upon me of lowering my reading speed way down to  the point that I do not pick up easily the thought being expressed. My own comprehension of it goes to near zero as I end up reading it at about 185 words or less per minute, if at all.  Now I'm no Evelyn Woods, but I do  read much much faster than that, with decent comprehension, if the thought is expressed in a more conventional manner. 

IF SOMEONE WANTS TO SHOUT, THAT IS THEIR PRIVILEGE.  PERHAPS THEY JUST DRAGGGGED THEIR FINGER OVER THE CAPS LOCK KEY.

I AM ONLY SHARING, that  I will like opportunity to read an author's work, even a post on a message board, with some comprehension of it.

If an author prefers to use a bunch of dot dot dots  between  near each word and change from all caps to lower case at random they just  end up not communicting their message to me, because I don't understand it well. It is not my choice that counts, but I am sharing that I end up, for the most part, not trying to read a post  fashioned in that manner. For when I do I don't understand it anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, A secondary thought from the old typesetter:

Colors, plus size, and style of font,  are of little interest to me personally.  They add a little fun I am sure.  

Besides, I can just  enlarge  or compress the font, change it, and even modify colors, if I wish, all from my side of the cyber message. I do that with one interesting person's messages as they are posted in 24 point font and in various colors, often  a very light blue. 

So please, don't let  comments from me  become a hinderance  to  anyone's freer spirit and artistic impulse! I just am sharing that I  personally have trouble reading for comprehension  messages that look like they  are pasted together from an old magazine looking much like a ransom  note in an old movie might be shown.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 2

And, I just detest power point! 

Six lines, and no more than six words to a bullet point  with maximum of six points. The 666 rule. ( Ah ha!) 

Tweets? Forget them, as  they are a fool's play thing, or perhaps a way to hide one's vocabulary deficiency. I am personally insulted when our President tries to communicate using them. They are received by me as though I am being talked down to by the thoughtless sender of them. Baby talk is more substantial than tweeted utterances.

Oh well just another geezer with complaints I suppose. Just like the tv ad asks; "When did we become just like our own parents?" That ad does crack me up.

"Who left the door open? Are we conditioning the air for the whole world?" And, my own real life one, "Don't  let the screen door slam! You do and I'll make you practice opening and closing it for a half hour." Ha,  it would be a real kick to hear that one again. Anyway people, please watch out for overuse of those juxtapositioned caps and dots will ya huh?  Thanks for reading. Don't ya wonder now why you did?

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

It is interesting how some SHOUT and some sleeeeepppp.................. with dots and such.

I find long posts not only cause my mind and eyes to wander but often I completely miss the point.

I have observed that some think they know what you are saying and answer accordingly - before completely reading all you have said. This is a pity - it is like the hind-brain takes over at the first perceived 'error' and the fight or flight instinct takes charge.  Sine they are not going to run, they bash, and bash and take each line and re-quote. And bash, and bash.

Oh no. They are not bashful at all about bashing.

Edited by Justin Adams
  • Brilliant! 1