• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/08/1950

This one's for Igor - hey, bro - I have been to Odessa!   I went to the 1980 Olympics in Moscow as part of an evangelistic group (Youth With a Mission). We went to another city, too - Sochi!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,559
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 11/20/2017 at 10:13 PM, Yowm said:

Yes, back in '65 on a Triton 23'. It was a bit heavy for So. Ca. waters though  :62_62: .

Hi, reminds me of San Pedro where  a family member and his wife spent a year outfitting their 28 foot  lapsided Danish Double Ender to go to sea for a year's voyage. They had spent a year onboard at Catalina then ran out of funds and he got a job at Todd Shipyard to raise the funds needed. They set sail for island's unknown sailing South, went around Cape Horn landed at  Hernando Beach Florida a year later having sailed without any power nor communication gear all that way. Many a story within that one!

Anyway, I had to find them one black night at the Port of Los Angeles. Some men on the dock playing cards told me they were at a mooring and I should just borrow the pram at the dock and row out there. Well I did, wow! Does it get dark  on a pram at night in a suit and tie looking for a moored sailboat amongst the large tankers going by. Scary! Never found the mooring, but did row back to the proper dock only to find it was a bit of a gag by the guys on the dock. They thought me to be a police detective after one of the wharf rats, and sent me on a wild row to give what is my family time to  get away or cleaned up or whatever they envisioned was the issue. Plus, the pram I had used turned out not to be there for the borrowing, seems I had stolen it for a joyride. At the end all was forgiven, and I did find the boat and my family docked not far away from where I had started my nighttime row.

We later delivered that boat from Clearwater Florida  to Miami on top of a contractor's  wide load three axle trailer used for his bulldozer. We pulled it with a 1949 chevy pick up truck with a granny gear floor shift.  with mast we were some thirty foot long  thirteen feet wide and had house moving lights wrapped around the entirety of the vessel which was standing high on it's supported keel. By the time we had gotten through Tampa we had no brakes left and would just run like we were on a road rally. I navigated, he rode the gears, as we timed lights from Tampa through Alligator Alley all the way to Miami at a top speed of 27 miles per hour. Semi's were dancing out of our way  panicked  drivers seeing the string of lights a lane and a half wide coming at them at night.  we were lit up like some alien craft taking a lane and a half of width out of that two lane road and they were in big rigs with no place to go except into the drink filled with alligators if either they or we made any small mistake in passing. 

Neither one of us expected to get through that night in one piece, yet we arrived at the docks at Miami early in the morning, rush hour! We had one last approach to make  and it was to go use a fast lane on ramp downhill onto a freeway like road. Once commited we had no stopping, we were just a-coming down onto the slow moving traffic jam at our even slower pace. I could see the whites of eyes of other drivers as they desperately tried to get clear of what was us approaching them.  They did manage to clear a spot, and we just kept crowding off lanes till we got across to an off ramp and onto the docks, had the boat lifted off. We took off again without ever shutting down the engine, and just traveled all the way back to Clearwater. Took us 19 hours, and a hearty, never again.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,458
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

17 hours ago, missmuffet said:

So "they" had it out for you from the very beginning. :mgdetective:

You bet! And they put a diaper on me like I was some sort of kid or something? Gave me milk while I was watching them stuff down pork chops and mashed potato's. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

5 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

You bet! And they put a diaper on me like I was some sort of kid or something? Gave me milk while I was watching them stuff down pork chops and mashed potato's. 

So you learned at a very, very young age to never trust anyone :verkle:

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

On 11/18/2017 at 9:39 PM, Abby-Joy said:

Another thing that some may find interesting is that I had 4 home births.  

Hey, great! I've had a few home births too (and a Home Alone birth, like you!).

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

29 minutes ago, Abby-Joy said:

Awesome! I'd like to hear about your experiences if you care to share. How did you have a "home alone birth"? Short labor, or by choice?

I wonder if there are others here who have had home births. :) 

Abby you loved sister.   Love them young'uns sister ,    and praise the Lord.   

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

On 1/31/2018 at 5:00 PM, Abby-Joy said:

Awesome! I'd like to hear about your experiences if you care to share. How did you have a "home alone birth"? Short labor, or by choice?

I wonder if there are others here who have had home births. :) 

The home part was planned; the alone part was not. Our birth attendant was also in late pregnancy and couldn't come at the last minute. All went well. (This was not our first home birth, so I'm sure that made a difference.)

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,142
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:52 AM, Annette said:

It has been interesting to read through this post.

One thing that has has always stood out to me is that my mom, dad and brother all have blue eyes and I have green eyes.

:) Just had to be different huh ... LOL

• Haha 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

1 hour ago, enoob57 said:

:) Just had to be different huh ... LOL

My brother liked to remind me of this difference many times while growing up. :)