Dennis1209

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,437
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

I'm finishing up my yearly reading of the Bible in the Book of Job, and out of nowhere a weird thought just popped into my head. Then I thought about examples in 1 Kings, II Kings and the two Books of Chronicles, about judgments of some of the evil Kings and rulers. Now don't get me wrong here, I'm not calling anyone evil, but...

As I was reading I subconsciously thought about William Jefferson Clinton and Barack Hussein Obama. Having no son's, only daughters, having no male heir or descendant of 'their' family branch. I just thought that was interesting and wanted to share. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  949
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,519
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Just how sure is one of any paternal lineage assertion? - Especially as compared to the "almost" certain maternal lineage evidence

From a little Wikipedia chatter comes this: ...."

The Jewish Oral Tradition codified in the Mishnah in the 2nd century CE clearly expresses the Rabbinic view that Jewish descent follows the mother exclusively. The concept of matrilineality and matriarchy within Orthodox Judaism is related to the metaphysical concept of the Jewish soul.[1] The Mishnah (Kiddushin 3:12) states that, to be a Jew, one must be either the child of a Jewish mother or a convert to Judaism, (ger tzedek, "righteous convert"). Orthodox opinion regards this rule as dating from the time of the receiving of the Torah at Mount Sinai.

Most non-Orthodox scholars regard matrilineality in Judaism as originating either at the time of Ezra(4th century BCE), or during the period of Roman rule in the 1st–2nd centuries CE, as patrilineal descent is known to have been the standard of Judaism prior to that time."

Question, Finishing at  Job or finishing Job an annual reading?

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

What about President Trump?  Could he be the one to break the dynasty?

A fun work or study on lineage as reported in our Bible:

https://bible.org/seriespage/lesson-14-genealogy-jesus-luke-323-38

• This is Worthy 1

48 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Question, Finishing at  Job or finishing Job an annual reading?

Last January our Pastor in Wednesday evening Bible study gave us a reading record and challenge to read the entire Bible in one year. I flip flopped all around from NT to OT back and forth. I didn't read it in chronological order as I should have. I'll read it in chronological order for 2018 for sure!

By-the-way, there are a number of Biblical passages and chapters that are hard for me to fully understand, such as Hebrews 6:. Reading the Book "Song of Solomon" I'm left with my head spinning? The Book of Revelation seems simple compared to Song of Solomon???

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

5 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

I didn't read it in chronological order as I should have.

You probably mean one book after the one previous in the Bible.  Right?

They are not in the same order as they were written (chronologically).

6 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Hebrews 6

"Hebrews 6 Amplified Bible (AMP)
The Peril of Falling Away

6 Therefore let us get past the elementary stage in the teachings about the Christ,

... ... ...

And we will do this [that is, proceed to maturity], if God permits."

19 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

You probably mean one book after the one previous in the Bible.  Right?

They are not in the same order as they were written (chronologically).

"Hebrews 6 Amplified Bible (AMP)
The Peril of Falling Away

6 Therefore let us get past the elementary stage in the teachings about the Christ,

... ... ...

And we will do this [that is, proceed to maturity], if God permits."

No. I meant the order in which the recorded events actually occurred. It becomes so confusing when you flip flop around and not follow the order of history and events. This time around for 2018 I'm going to follow the chronological order I printed from the Blue Letter Bible website.

I went such a long time before I decided to sit down and read the entire Bible from Genesis to Revelation. I finally read the entire Bible for the first time in 1995. This is only the third time I've read the entire Bible. Gots me lots of catching up to do for all those decades I was backslid...

1 hour ago, Dennis1209 said:

Last January our Pastor in Wednesday evening Bible study gave us a reading record and challenge to read the entire Bible in one year. I flip flopped all around from NT to OT back and forth. I didn't read it in chronological order as I should have. I'll read it in chronological order for 2018 for sure!

By-the-way, there are a number of Biblical passages and chapters that are hard for me to fully understand, such as Hebrews 6:. Reading the Book "Song of Solomon" I'm left with my head spinning? The Book of Revelation seems simple compared to Song of Solomon???

Hi,

Perhaps you will enjoy a book entitled "The Pleasures oF Marriage, an Exposition of the Song Of Solomon" or if you wish to send a PM I can share where the originl 17 hours of presentation  from which the book is based may be found online.

Congratulations on completing a year long task started, few manage to do that.

May I suggest if you do a Chronological study take a look at "the Life &Times Historical Reference Bible. It's an interesting and useful reference, least I think so.

My own question arose because my understanding is that Job is the oldest written record from God to us. It was th efirst Book I was led to read.

Anyway; my admiration for your accomplishment is extended. it is real work and blessing too, what you did.

• Thumbs Up 1