naominash

Is having a lot of savings wrong?

When Jesus talks about not storing up treasures on earth...

Matthew 6:18-20New International Version (NIV)

18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Treasures in Heaven

19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal." 

Does this mean it's wrong to save up a lot of money? What if you're investing in order to give generously at a later point? (Like Dave Ramsey teaches)

Question: "What does the Bible say about saving money?"

Answer:
The Bible teaches that saving money is a wise practice for many different reasons. God is our source and provider for everything we need. “And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:19). One of the main ways God provides for us is through money, and it is our job to steward that money well (Matthew 25:14–27).

We are accountable to God for how we use everything He gives us in this life, including money. Saving money demonstrates good stewardship of the resources God gives us. Saving money allows us to be prepared for the future, and being prepared for the future is good. Proverbs 6:6–8 shows us that this principle is lived out even in nature: “Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and its food at harvest.” Planning ahead and saving money makes it easier to accomplish goals and allows us to be more effective in ministry (see 1 Corinthians 16:2). When we don’t plan ahead and save money, we are more prone to go into debt, which the Bible tells us is unwise (Proverbs 22:7).

Of course, there are plenty of wrong motives for saving money. If we’re saving money out of fear of the future, it shows we’re not really trusting God to provide (see Luke 12:7; 2 Timothy 1:7). Miserliness is sin, and it’s foolish and arrogant to make money our security. “The wealth of the rich is their fortified city; they imagine it a wall too high to scale” (Proverbs 18:11), yet riches “will surely sprout wings and fly off to the sky like an eagle” (Proverbs 23:5). First Timothy 6:10 warns against greed, saying, “The love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.”

To fully understand the value of saving money, we must remember what the Bible says about giving. God desires His people to be cheerful givers (2 Corinthians 9:7). It’s impossible to out-give God! “Give and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For the measure you use, it will be measured to you” (Luke 6:38).

Sometimes when God gives us things, be it money or something else, it’s intended for us to give away. Other times, He gives us things that are meant for us to keep for ourselves and use in His service and for His glory. It’s wise to hold everything God gives us loosely so that we can give it away if He asks us to.

https://www.gotquestions.org/saving-money.html

• Thumbs Up 2

That reminds me of a verse in Proverbs. I guess there is a right and a wrong way to go about saving money. Thank you for the detailed response.

Proverbs 13:11New International Version (NIV)

11 Dishonest money dwindles away,
    but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, naominash said:

Does this mean it's wrong to save up a lot of money?

I believe it is a matter of heart, if you heart is in the money then it becomes idolatry.

Some questions we should make to ourselves are:

What if I lose the money? Will I become desperate or trust in the Lord?

Can I spend this money whenever needed? Or is my heart attached to it and I cannot do it?

"No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other,
or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon." - Matthew 6:24

• Thumbs Up 1

Nothing wrong with saving up as much as you can. 

It's good to be frugal and save your money but let money never be your God,look at some people in the Bible they were rich but faithful to God and money was not their God/idol

Nothing wrong with having any amount of money. Its only the love of money that wrong.

1 Timothy 6:10, For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

• Thumbs Up 1

Having money in a large amount is not bad.  The love of money....  bad. 

you dont have to even have a lot of money, or any at all to have the love of money. 

It is wise to save. 

Proverbs 13:22 A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children: and the wealth of the sinner is laid up for the just.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/27/2017 at 9:04 PM, Cletus said:

Having money in a large amount is not bad.  The love of money....  bad. 

you dont have to even have a lot of money, or any at all to have the love of money. 

It is wise to save. 

Proverbs 13:22 A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children: and the wealth of the sinner is laid up for the just.

Money is simply a tool; had we continued using barter as a large part of our economy, I'm sure it would have been "for the love of cows" or "chickens" or something like that...

I think people should put back enough not to be a burden on others as they grow old and can't work....

Storing up money for the future is one thing......   hording money just for the sake of having it is another.   I can't speak for everyone but it seems that when we get too far ahead we meet people who are needy and I'm struck to help them....   it's actually gotten quite entertaining as it happens.

True happening.........    standing in line at McDonalds and notice the person at the register doesn't seem to have the money to pay for what they ordered.....   I reach over and swipe my credit card to pay for her order and smile at the McDonalds cashier.....   she smiles back and the lady without the necessary cash says and I quote:  "you can't do that".            

I smile and say, "well God told me to and I've learned not to tell him no"......   and she just cries....   then the cashier tears up and we all have an emotion moment....

It's kind of fun at McDonalds when the check is about $5 or $10 dollars, but it gets a lot more serious when it's the grocery store and some mother can't pay for all food for her children and the bill is a hundred dollars or more..     what I find fascinating is that at Walmart when buying groceries and this comes up the cashiers don't seem to be surprised when you do it.....   and that tells me that others are doing it too and that puts a settling peace in your heart about our country that is hard to explain.  

• Thumbs Up 1