Divorce and Ministry

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

So, I have been struggling with this question for a long time now. I am a divorced man. Divorced prior to my relationship with God. 

I know that it says in the bible that ministers should be one woman men. That they should be above reproach, and not fall to sexual sin. 

I agree with this statment, but I feel like my sin's of the past were wiped away once I gave my life over to Christ and became new in the spirit, washed by the blood. I have felt an undeniable push in my life towards ministry, but I have been hesitant to pursue this "calling" due to my fear that I have broken the laws of God. 

Can I still pursue my calling in ministry, or not?

The thing that comes to the forefront of my mind every time I contemplate this is Pauls ministry. A man known for his murder and persecution of christians; called literally by God into ministry.  

So yeah, thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Opinions vary on this. I will offer mine but only as an opinion. First, let me start with a passage(s) that people often cite, that might speak to this:

1It is a trustworthy statement: if any man aspires to the office of overseer, it is a fine work he desires to do. 2An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, 3not addicted to wine or pugnacious, but gentle, peaceable, free from the love of money. 4He must be one who manages his own household well, keeping his children under control with all dignity 5(but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of the church of God?), 6and not a new convert, so that he will not become conceited and fall into the condemnation incurred by the devil. 7And he must have a good reputation with those outside the church, so that he will not fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

8Deacons likewise must be men of dignity, not double-tongued, or addicted to much wine or fond of sordid gain, 9but holding to the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience. 10These men must also first be tested; then let them serve as deacons if they are beyond reproach. 11Women must likewise be dignified, not malicious gossips, but temperate, faithful in all things. 12Deacons must be husbands of only one wife, and good managers of their children and their own households. 13For those who have served well as deacons obtain for themselves a high standing and great confidence in the faith that is in Christ Jesus.

Now, let me point out some specifics here, and address them. Note above, that I bolded certain parts of the text above (from 1 Tim 3, by the way). You were not specific, about what sort of ministry that you are leaning toward, and the qualifications listed above, are specific to specific positions in the church of God. I will leave it to you, to sort out exactly, what deacons and elders meant, at the time of Paul's writings of the passage, but I submit, that they may have little to do with what are often called deacons and elders in modern denominations.

People point to the phrase "the husband of one wife" and say that shows that a man cannot serve if he is divorced. I am going to go out on the limb of what I think this means here.

First, let me say that some think that this implies that the man must be married, in other words, not single. I submit that that is way too literal an understanding, Paul said it is good for a man or woman, NOT to be married, so that they could focus their attention on God, and not be distracted by caring for a spouse and somewhat dividing is full attention. To say that a person must be married, is to disqualify even the apostle Paul, or for that matter, Jesus Himself, from service. I should not have to say, that this is an absurd understanding.

The, regarding whether the husband of one wife, means the man cannot be divorced, is not looking carefully at the text either. If I, as a person, were formerly married (I am) but not now (and I am not), then I am the husband of no wife, I am an ex husband. I husband of one wife, is a person who is married to one wife, not several wives, not a polygamist. The passage says nothing about divorce. If it referred to not having been formerly married, then that would also apply to widowers, it says nothing about divorce.

Divorce, though God hates it, is not the unforgivable sin. I suggest that you carefully read 1 Cor 7, for aspects of the Christian and marriage and determine for yourself, what apples and what does not.

I agree with you, that our sins have been forgiven in Christ. That is important, but no one if free from sin, and in ministry, it is importan what you are now. God sees the heart, but we also, must be realistic and note, whether our character, is one that glorifies God. We need to be of such character, that we do not reflect badly on Christ or His church. Ask yourself, why are you divorced, was it your fault? Are the things that led up to your divorce, things that should make you hesitate to be in a visible form of service, something that you might relapse into?

I am not asking you to answer these questions here, but to ask them of yourself, to help you be realistic and wise in your decisions.

Also, note that the instructions for deacons and elders, are again, to specific offices. The need not apply to all possible ministries. People serve in all sorts of capacities. It is not that being divorced would dismiss one from ministry, we are all (every Christian) called to serve. For example, we are all to love our brother and sisters. We do not get out of that, because we are divorced. We are all called to evangelize, again, that is every Christian, no matter what their history.

You never said, what you had in mind as a ministry, but I suggest seeking council of wise Christians who know you, and listen to what they have to say, read your Bible a lot, pray over it (the issue) and learn to discern God's will. If you think you are called, what gives you any right to disobey God, I do not see how anyone can judge you, for listening to God's call upon your heart, it is Him you need to obey, not men, but, also do not discount that God can use men, to reach you and advise you.

I for example, serve here at Worthy, and whether I am divorced or not, does not prevent me from doing so.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Omegaman has covered it pretty well.  I might add that it also varies from church to church as to how they interpret this.  But you must listen to God and your own conscience.  

• Thumbs Up 3