• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  356
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

Isa 38:10-11;17-19 
I am to enter the gates of Sheol; I am to be deprived of the rest of my years." I said, "I shall not see the Lord, The Lord in the land of the living; I shall look on man no more among the inhabitants of the world.... It is Thou who hast kept my soul from the pit of corruption, For Thou hast cast all my sins behind Thy back. "For Sheol cannot thank Thee, Death cannot praise Thee; Those who go down to the pit cannot hope for Thy faithfulness. "It is the living who give thanks to Thee, as I do today

I keep going back and forth between soul sleep and no soul sleep.And this caught my eye.I noticed it mentions the grave but what looks like over three times.Or am i reading into to much? 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  328
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  10/27/1957

Thank you Zorg.

38 minutes ago, zorgblar said:

I am to enter the gates of Sheol; I am to be deprived of the rest of my years." I said, "I shall not see the Lord, The Lord in the land of the living; I shall look on man no more among the inhabitants of the world.... It is Thou who hast kept my soul from the pit of corruption, For Thou hast cast all my sins behind Thy back. "For Sheol cannot thank Thee, Death cannot praise Thee; Those who go down to the pit cannot hope for Thy faithfulness. "It is the living who give thanks to Thee, as I do today

I keep going back and forth between soul sleep and no soul sleep.And this caught my eye.I noticed it mentions the grave but what looks like over three times.Or am i reading into to much? 

You haven't made it easy.
Your question is about your observation, and you don't say too much about your observation.
You are counting graves?

And you threw a sly ball first.
What has you soul sleep pattern to do with all this?
That's not the same as rising up out of our graves. I don't think. 

When you say graves, Isaiah is saying sheol, death, or the pit.
There is only heaven and hell on earth.
So all those expressions are synonyms of hell.
There is one grave. Or I should say, one grave for each of us.

The other thing to do, is look up the scriptures elsewhere that speak about this.
That usually helps to clarify.

And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake,
some to everlasting life,
and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Daniel 12:2

Marvel not at this:
for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear His voice,
And shall come forth;
they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life;
and they the have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

John 5:28-29

I don't know if I'm reading your question right, or if have addressed it.
But you will let me know.

Praising the Lord
helps keep us awake
Paul

And the graves were opened;
and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
and came out of the graves after His resurrection,
and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Matthew 27:52-53

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  356
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

8 minutes ago, HarvestLabourer said:

Thank you Zorg.

You haven't made it easy.
Your question is about your observation, and you don't say too much about your observation.
You are counting graves?

And you threw a sly ball first.
What has you soul sleep pattern to do with all this?
That's not the same as rising up out of our graves. I don't think. 

When you say graves, Isaiah is saying sheol, death, or the pit.
There is only heaven and hell on earth.
So all those expressions are synonyms of hell.
There is one grave. Or I should say, one grave for each of us.

The other thing to do, is look up the scriptures elsewhere that speak about this.
That usually helps to clarify.

And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake,
some to everlasting life,
and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Daniel 12:2

Marvel not at this:
for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear His voice,
And shall come forth;
they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life;
and they the have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

John 5:28-29

I don't know if I'm reading your question right, or if have addressed it.
But you will let me know.

Praising the Lord
helps keep us awake
Paul

And the graves were opened;
and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
and came out of the graves after His resurrection,
and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Matthew 27:52-53

What i was saying is jw believe sheol hell and the pit are all the grave.So why mention it so many times and not once?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

28 minutes ago, zorgblar said:

What i was saying is jw believe sheol hell and the pit are all the grave.So why mention it so many times and not once?

What is so enticing about the JW? They are a cult.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

3 hours ago, zorgblar said:

"Or am i reading into to much? "

Perhaps as yet, not enough???: 

"For we know that if the tent that is our earthly home is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this tent we groan, longing to put on our heavenly dwelling,  if indeed by putting it on we may not be found naked.  For while we are still in this tent, we groan, being burdened—not that we would be unclothed, but that we would be further clothed, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life.  He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.

So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord,  for we walk by faith, not by sight.  Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.  So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him.For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil.

Therefore, knowing the fear of the Lord, we persuade others. But what we are is known to God, and I hope it is known also to your conscience.  We are not commending ourselves to you again but giving you cause to boast about us, so that you may be able to answer those who boast about outward appearance and not about what is in the heart. For if we are beside ourselves, it is for God; if we are in our right mind, it is for you.  For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died;  and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised.

From now on, therefore, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we once regarded Christ according to the flesh, we regard him thus no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation;  that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.  For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God."

as a further  consideration  here are links to two presentations on the subject that may lend some confidence in absent from the body is to be  present with the Lord:

From Johnathan Edwards;  http://www.whatsaiththescripture.com/Fellowship/Edwards.Absent.from.Body.html

From Charles Spurgeon;  http://www.spurgeongems.org/vols22-24/chs1303.pdf

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

3 hours ago, zorgblar said:

Three parts to humans.

Body

Soul

Spirit

Different things happen to each part in death.

Body returns to dust (reassembled in resurrection) when spirits return to bodies.

Spirit goes to heaven (for believers in Jesus) awaiting resurrection / reunion with body.

Unbelieving spirits go to Sheol (awaiting judgment day). Then resurrection, judgment then lake of fire / hell.

The soul, near as I can figure, is a buffer between the two realities (spirit and body) which ceases to exist in death. I have also heard of it as the complete package (body / spirit = living soul). I don't harp on it, but if correct... the soul being a buffer answers the troubling question how part of us can cease to exist in death.

Human Make Up.jpg

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  328
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  10/27/1957

On 11/28/2017 at 10:27 AM, zorgblar said:

Ah, now I see what you are asking, thank you.

I believe God in His word using different words for things to help understand what the thing is.
So we know, if we are in a pit, we know what he is talking about here,
or if our life feels like death, or like a garbage dump (sheol).

Like many things in the Bible have many names. 
The word is a also bread, and it is meat and milk, and living waters, even God Himself.
The promised land is the land of Canaan, Israel, Paradise, and the kingdom of God.
Spirits are nations, beasts, canaanites, cherubim, serpents, and angels.
Just some quick examples from memory. 

For help in understanding. That's why.
Like Bible comparison helps sometimes, and another Bible says the same but with different words,
and you can understand those words better, so it helps you understand the saying better.

Have a great day in Jesus
Paul