• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

9 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

So you're not going to answer the question, right?  Is it so hard to just give a straight answer to a simple question?   Is that such a herculean task?   I am not asking you to write an online novel about it.   Just answer the question.

Sometimes it is a herculean task.......until and unless God gives the unction and strength, because I sure have it not of myself.  His strength is needed for these things, the devil fights truth from coming forth just as much as he fights it after it has come forth.  And I have already answered your quesion in what I have already posted.  But we need to make sure our motivation is right brother, because God doesn't give understanding if our motives are not right before Him.........at such times He veils the truth instead of opening it.  

However, I hope this will help.......since lusting and seducing is just as much sin even if it's only in the heart without any actual acts.......having a reminder of authority on our heads is like a reminder (sign) which lends all concerned power to remain in a place of purity in our hearts, I think that is sufficient to understand.  It subdues evil spirits (in our flesh and will) from their spiritual activity, yes it does, exactly like how the word of God is raised as a banner against evil and has a purifying effect for that reason and cleanses leaven.  It has a way of disallowing the evil, might be another way of saying that....power.  Reminders/signs are a spiritual weapon in other words.  This is by no means all the wisdom there is to be had about head coverings, just a little portion that God has been gracious to me thus far.

Reminders even have power with God, so to speak, since He magnifies His word above His own name, and that is why in prayer we are to remind Him of His promises and His word.  That is such a blessing to understand...thank you Lord.

So a head covering is a sign, a token, a reminder, it isn't in vain that we are to wear it, it has power.

Genesis 9:13-17

I set My bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a sign of a covenant between Me and the earth.

“It shall come about, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow will be seen in the cloud,

and I will remember My covenant, which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and never again shall the water become a flood to destroy all flesh.

“When the bow is in the cloud, then I will look upon it, to remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.”

And God said to Noah, “This is the sign of the covenant which I have established between Me and all flesh that is on the earth.”

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest shiloh357
6 minutes ago, Heleadethme said:

Sometimes it is a herculean task.......until and unless God gives the unction and strength, because I sure have it not of myself.  His strength is needed for these things, the devil fights truth from coming forth just as much as he fights it after it has come forth.  And I have already answered your quesion in what I have already posted.  But we need to make sure our motivation is right brother, because God doesn't give understanding if our motives are not right before Him.........at such times He veils the truth instead of opening it.  

However, I hope this will help.......since lusting and seducing is just as much sin even if it's only in the heart without any actual acts.......having a reminder of authority on our heads is like a reminder (sign) which lends all concerned power to remain in a place of purity in our hearts, I think that is sufficient to understand.  It subdues evil spirits (in our flesh and will) from their spiritual activity, yes it does, exactly like how the word of God is raised as a banner against evil and has a purifying effect for that reason and cleanses leaven.  It has a way of disallowing the evil, might be another way of saying that....power.  Reminders/signs are a spiritual weapon in other words.  This is by no means all the wisdom there is to be had about head coverings, just a little portion that God has been gracious to me thus far.

Reminders even have power with God, so to speak, since He magnifies His word above His own name, and that is why in prayer we are to remind Him of His promises and His word.  That is such a blessing to understand...thank you Lord.

So a head covering is a sign, a token, a reminder, it isn't in vain that we are to wear it, it has power.

I set My bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a sign of a covenant between Me and the earth.

“It shall come about, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow will be seen in the cloud,

and I will remember My covenant, which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and never again shall the water become a flood to destroy all flesh.

“When the bow is in the cloud, then I will look upon it, to remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.”

And God said to Noah, “This is the sign of the covenant which I have established between Me and all flesh that is on the earth.”

Okay, thanks  I appreciate your response.  That makes sense.  And as you describe it, that is an honorable practice.  :)

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, Heleadethme said:

Sister, it's perfectly ok with me if you don't agree........as long as we agree that women are to wear a head covering in our gatherings, I don't think it's at all necessary that we agree on why.

40 minutes ago, angels4u said:

I didn't say we must wear head coverings but not to judge anybody who does wear them, God hears and loves us either way.

This doesn't have anything to do with love......God loves murderers but that doesn't mean He is pleased with their murdering.  We just need to go according to scripture, angels.........Paul said that he had no other practice in the churches.......that meant he didnt' consider it to be optional in church gatherings, and particularly for praying and prophesying.  Regarding head coverings outside of churches, I do not know, but Sanctums' whole thread has got me asking God about that.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,525
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

25 minutes ago, Heleadethme said:

As is the Tzitzit of some. It is honorable to be humble yet outright in faith of our Lord and His sovereignty over us.

Edited by Neighbor
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

On 11/30/2017 at 1:02 AM, Sanctum said:

Accepting that the Christian woman's headcovering is Biblical, how should it be practiced?

I have just withdrawn my membership from a church where a certain type of headcovering was standard. We wear our hair up in a bun with a stiff, pleated white cap pinned over the back of our heads. This headcovering style defines this particular church and is almost a symbol of identity.

Now that I'm no longer a member, I'm not sure that I should keep wearing the same headcovering, as it seems like stating that I'm part of this church. But what are some practical considerations for modesty and a covering that is wearable and clearly Christian, but not identified with any particular church?

Is it modest to wear your hair down and a covering over? What type of headcoverings do you wear? Do you make your own or buy them? Do people recognize them as Christian?

Sounds like the Mennonites that I have seen around here though they wear black caps pinned to their hair.

A woman must have a sign on her head for the sake of the angels 

1 Corinthians 11:10 

For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

This is in reference to the Ezekiel vision of God and the angels who covered themselves with their wings so their glory would not be a distraction.

So a woman is to imitate the angels

1 Cor 11

But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

6For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

You can wear a hat or a veil, as long as you avoid those that would make you look like a gang member. They should be decent. I wear head scarves or veils. 

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

On 11/29/2017 at 11:02 PM, Sanctum said:

Accepting that the Christian woman's headcovering is Biblical, how should it be practiced?

I have just withdrawn my membership from a church where a certain type of headcovering was standard.

It is clearly Biblical (seems that it was standard in churches everywhere until a little over 100 years ago as well),

but not just wearing a piece of cloth on the head, no.    It is testimony of being submitted to man,  as man is to Christ, as Christ is to God - all clearly laid out in Scripture.

Without submission ,  whether Christ, or man, or woman,   there is disobedience and out of order.

So there is no true testimony in wearing a covering as directed by Scripture,

if someone is not submitted as directed by Scripture as well.

So then,  "how should it be practiced?"  .... just as written,  and as the assembly you were in , or as the new assembly you become a member of practices this.  

• Praise God! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

I have just withdrawn my membership from a church where a certain type of headcovering was standard. We wear our hair up in a bun with a stiff, pleated white cap pinned over the back of our heads. This headcovering style defines this particular church and is almost a symbol of identity.

Now that I'm no longer a member, I'm not sure that I should keep wearing the same headcovering, as it seems like stating that I'm part of this church. But what are some practical considerations for modesty and a covering that is wearable and clearly Christian, but not identified with any particular church?

Is it modest to wear your hair down and a covering over? What type of headcoverings do you wear? Do you make your own or buy them? Do people recognize them as Christian?

Let's be honest...

Sex sells.

A woman's sex appeal (as they call it) depends in part on her hair. Otherwise the multi billion dollar industry would not exist.

If how women's hair appears made no difference then most women would not make such a fuss about it. And I've been married 37 years to a very glamorous woman and I know of all the trouble women put themselves through for hair, make up, etc. etc. etc.

What YOU have to decide FOR YOU is what part (if any) you want to play in this steeplechase.

If you feel uncomfortable without a covering... 

Religious or otherwise... Wear a McDonald's paper hat if that what it takes, or you can accessorize with pins or feathers etc. You don't have to wear the "branding hat" of a church or religion.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Reasons to leave a Church, denomination, etc.

Bible.

Nearly all (if not all) are steeped in the traditions of man.

Become a member of the Church of God's Word. The Bible.

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

I gave up reading this thread on about the 3rd page and went back to the OP.

I put this in roughly the same category as whether or not to dress up a lot for church and what to wear.  I know some men that dress in their best suits because to them it is a sign of respect to God to treat Sunday services as special.  I know other men that dress like they do throughout the week because they they feel they should come before God the same way that they usually live their life;  in other words, they don't want to feel like they are trying to impress God or anyone else by what they wear.  I respect both views.  To me, the key (from Romans 14) is that they are doing what they are convinced is right for them to do before God and that I respect that.  I also know people that will condemn both views.  Some people assume that anyone dressing in something less than their best clothes is insulting God in some way; other people assume that they are show offs trying to convince people of how sincere they are by dressing up.  Depending on the church and setting, there may be people who may be unhealthily judgmental on such issues.

The challenge is balancing what is right for us to do to honor God and trying not to cause an unnecessary stir or controversy around us by what we do.  Unfortunately, we often have little control on what people around us want to worry and complain about.  Speaking for myself, I usually observe what other people tend to wear and then fit my behavior in as unobtrusively as possible so as not to make what I am doing an issue that causes distractions. I'm very much a "dress as I do during the week sort" (probably because I grew up surrounded by people who would dress up in their Sunday best in church and act differently all week).  In some settings, I've been comfortable in jeans and t-shirts.  Other times, I wear khakis/cargo pants with a nice shirt and a tie.  I would note that I figured out how to knot a tie so it looks good but is very loose so I don't know I have it on.  I will not walk into a church that is suits and ties and dresses with jeans and a t-shirt nor will I walk into a completely informal setting wearing a tie.  For me, it's about not trying to put on airs and act differently in church than I do during the week as well as balancing what will not be distracting to those around me.

I think the main questions are what you are comfortable with? and what is the best way for you to honor God in this?  If you feel that wearing your hair down in church is somehow risqué or is uncomfortable for you, don't do it.  If you are comfortable wearing your hair down and wearing some type of scarf or hat or bandana or large hair-holder-thingy (that I don't know the name for it), go for it.  My guess is that there are women in most churches that have a sense of what type of head covering they are comfortable with and seems to fit in without causing a stir.  I've observed a wide range of hairstyles and head coverings over the years that women in church wear (that I have the impression is based on wanting to honor God with a head covering).  Some are stylish; others plain; and still others functional.  I've seen a few that incorporate Christian symbols.  If what you wear completely makes you stand out and draw attention, look around and see what other women in that setting are wearing.  Chances are that in most churches and fellowships, there will be at least a few women that wear head coverings of some type.  You might be able to take your lead from them.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

The Hijab is probably what was worn in Paul's day in Corinth.  Nuns wore something similar for years.  But whatever makes you comfortable would be appropriate.  Our church emphasizes not calling attention to ourselves by what we wear.  So perhaps the customs of your new church should have some bearing.  And of course modesty is important.