• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  55
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, Celtic Baptist said:

It is a shame for a woman to have a shaved head, let her be covered by her hair.

That is my interpretation of it

Isn't that a bit redundant? Especially since the wording is "let her also be covered"?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  08/01/1987

4 hours ago, Sanctum said:

Isn't that a bit redundant? Especially since the wording is "let her also be covered"?

Let's read on:

1 Corinthians 11:13-15

13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?

14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

It says her hair is given for a covering. Different traditions have different customs.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  616
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

On 11/29/2017 at 11:02 PM, Sanctum said:

Accepting that the Christian woman's headcovering is Biblical, how should it be practiced?

I have just withdrawn my membership from a church where a certain type of headcovering was standard. We wear our hair up in a bun with a stiff, pleated white cap pinned over the back of our heads. This headcovering style defines this particular church and is almost a symbol of identity.

Now that I'm no longer a member, I'm not sure that I should keep wearing the same headcovering, as it seems like stating that I'm part of this church. But what are some practical considerations for modesty and a covering that is wearable and clearly Christian, but not identified with any particular church?

Is it modest to wear your hair down and a covering over? What type of headcoverings do you wear? Do you make your own or buy them? Do people recognize them as Christian?

Your faith and submission to God is a beautiful gift. A scarf works well. As my mother wore one all her life while in church or in prayer.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

Here's the thing: if Paul is saying that the woman's covering is her hair, then what are we to make of his earlier assertion here?

1 Cor 11

Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.

But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

If the woman's covering is hair, does that mean that men who are not bald are dishonoring their head?

(It was that thought that helped bring me to the conviction to cover my head. YMMV.)

• Group:  Members *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  870
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  01/22/1968

you start off with a false presupposition.

Read a little further and we find that the womans HAIR is her covering.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  63
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

On November 30, 2017 at 1:02 AM, Sanctum said:

Accepting that the Christian woman's headcovering is Biblical, how should it be practiced?

I have just withdrawn my membership from a church where a certain type of headcovering was standard. We wear our hair up in a bun with a stiff, pleated white cap pinned over the back of our heads. This headcovering style defines this particular church and is almost a symbol of identity.

Now that I'm no longer a member, I'm not sure that I should keep wearing the same headcovering, as it seems like stating that I'm part of this church. But what are some practical considerations for modesty and a covering that is wearable and clearly Christian, but not identified with any particular church?

Is it modest to wear your hair down and a covering over? What type of headcoverings do you wear? Do you make your own or buy them? Do people recognize them as Christian?

Dear sister,

I share, by the Holy Spirit, your heart conviction regarding wearing head coverings.

I once was lost in the world and when He called me out of darkness, I was living in Los Angeles and working for a very famous famous celebrity. I was saved alone in my apartment and at first had no Christian fellowship...even after finding a local church I was the only one who wore head coverings but the Lord clearly led me to do so even during times of private prayer.

For whatever it is worth, during meetings and private prayer I usually wear a simple scarf type head covering with one side across the neck in front and draped over the opposite shoulder. Day in day out I usually wear a simple smaller headcovering.

The truth about head coverings has been lost in the past 100 years, and many say the hair is the covering even or that it was merely cultural....

In studying early Church history -- before the Roman Catholic Church, etc-- there is no ambiguity about the interpretion of this passage...the early believers knew it was a physical piece of cloth and they knew it was because of the Angels.

May the Lord bless you and lead you by His Spririt in this and all things. :)