IGNORED

What would you suggest to someone approaching faith? Read the Bible VS read the Gospel?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  650
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0

Before Jesus called me, I've tried different times in my life to search the Truth by starting reading the Bible.

It had no effect on me, just confusion and I gave up every time. Then one day, for some reasons, I picked the Gospel, read them in an afternoon, and they changed my Life. Now if I look at other books of the Bible they make more sense too, even though the Gospel has remained my primary Lamp. 

Moreover, nowadays people having a hard time with scarce jobs, limited time, countless distraction, are definitely afraid to start reading a book of 1600+ pages. 

Therefore, in my opinion, I'd suggest to someone approaching Faith: Read the Gospel!

And you? What you'd suggest?

Edited by listener24
  • Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

24 minutes ago, listener24 said:

What did Jesus tell those He Spoke with ?  >  "Turn to Yahweh (now, at once),  for HIS KINGDOM is here (at hand, now, today)"

Many many people may just read the Bible to be saved, without really seeking Yahweh, without caring to seek or to find or to know the truth,  thus they have continued confusion and deception, sometimes all their lives.

If and when they "Turn to Yahweh",  as Jesus Instructs,  and seek Him, and keep seeking Him,   by HIS WORD, they find Him. 

The GOSPEL is GOOD NEWS.  The GOSPEL is TRUTH, unchanged forever.  The GOSPEL is PURE, for the PURE IN HEART (only the pure in heart will ever see any part of heaven, as written) . 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

1 hour ago, listener24 said:

Moreover, nowadays people having a hard time with scarce jobs, limited time, countless distraction

This is just one more fake obstacle the enemy use to stop them: "You do not have time, you are tired from work, leave for tomorrow, and things like that".

How many times it happened to me as well.

First that you sincerely open your heart to find the Truth. Then I'd suggest you pray before reading asking that you understand and see what you need: Truth.

I could say people can start from the Gospel of John, but while you're at it... I recommend reading the 4 books of the gospel and continue from there.

Then when you have found the truth and accepted it just go on reading until Revelations, then when you have read it all I suggest you restart from Genesis and you will see how things make sense from Genesis to Revelations.

No need to hurry, just separate a time everyday and start reading... It can be 5, 10, 15, 30, or 60 minutes... Reading, understanding, and believing is what matters. :laugh:

Now if you say you do not have 5 minutes a day... Sorry, but you are deceiving yourself.

God bless you in Jesus' name!

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Before Jesus called me, I've tried different times in my life to search the Truth by starting reading the Bible.

It had no effect on me, just confusion and I gave up every time. Then one day, for some reasons, I picked the Gospel, read them in an afternoon, and they changed my Life. Now if I look at other books of the Bible they make more sense too, even though the Gospel has remained my primary Lamp. 

Moreover, nowadays people having a hard time with scarce jobs, limited time, countless distraction, are definitely afraid to start reading a book of 1600+ pages. 

Therefore, in my opinion, I'd suggest to someone approaching Faith: Read the Gospel!

Yes, read the Bible starting with John. Get to know who Jesus Christ is.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,851
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

11 hours ago, listener24 said:

To read the Gospels its good, and then we need to read the revelations of Paul who wrote them as a mature disciple. 

We must see how the disciples were guided and mature in the faith. 

They were not in an instance know it all, and correct in everything, like anyone else they walk the path of correction and growth. 

Also in the Gospels, we read about the works and miracles of Jesus .

Who had to teach the nation of Israel, as they were in their old covenant. 

We have to learn to discern the difference of the things that apply within the Jewish culture, and have nothing to do with us in different cultures and in the new covenant.

We must learn to understand the context. 

Hope that you understand my comments, and take them with a grane of salt. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

19 hours ago, listener24 said:

I think that the Gospels and Acts are the best place to start reading the Bible.  I usually recommend reading John and then Luke and Acts.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

My wife once had a co-worker who said that she had tried reading the Bible once but it seemed weird and didn't make any sense.  When my wife asked her more questions, it turned out that she had tried to read the book of Revelation. :) 

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.51

21 hours ago, listener24 said:

That is a good idea. Myself I would recommend to newcomers to read the New Testament first, and then start to read the Old. 

And as for the "countless distraction" people need to put those aside occasionally to focus on what should matter most

1 hour ago, GandalfTheWise said:

My wife once had a co-worker who said that she had tried reading the Bible once but it seemed weird and didn't make any sense.  When my wife asked her more questions, it turned out that she had tried to read the book of Revelation. :)

Yeah many people start with Revelation because it seems the most "intriguing" :) 

It happened to me too one time... Very confusing experience. Another time I tried to start with the first books, and I got lost in the many genealogies, so I gave up again.

Finally I had the luck to read the Gospel one day... and that's when everything changed :)

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, TheMatrixHasU71 said:

That is a good idea. Myself I would recommend to newcomers to read the New Testament first, and then start to read the Old. 

Thanks :) I agree, and in particular first the Gospel, because if someone starts the NT say from Revelation, there is still the risk that Gandalf talked about.

3 minutes ago, TheMatrixHasU71 said:

And as for the "countless distraction" people need to put those aside occasionally to focus on what should matter most

You are absolutely right! Unfortunately, sometimes they try to do that, but they get discouraged by starting the wrong way. I was one of them. If instead you start by hearing directly Jesus own's words, the words that  "many prophets and kings wanted to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it", then you could get more encouraged to start putting aside distractions :)