IGNORED

What is the rock (petra) upon which Christ will build His Church?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Various groups/denominations/churches have differed on this issue: RCC states Christ build His church on Peter (Petros, Greek masculine gender); others state Christ is the 'petra' (feminine gender) and others state this petra is the confession of faith that Peter made by revelation from the Father in heaven. The early church fathers (pre-Nicene) commentaries on Matthew 16 all stated Peter was not the 'petra.'

Whole theology & religious systems have been based upon this one verse. So it seems it is important to understand it, from the context & from other corroborating Scripture (the testimony & revelation of all of Scripture, that is inspired, God-breathed).  From the context all three interpretational doctrines are 'possible' as Peter, Christ and Peter's confession are all included in the context. But I believe Christ had one thing in mind & Matthew the writer of that Holy Scripture had one intent in mind, although much application can be made from it.

I will post more in detail later but I am still not sure how to post in other forums, as I don't see: any post command in them; only one here in the first forum and it states: 'Create a New Topic.' I am new so will need to learn how. Also I am trying to get three posts in so that may be the reason I am not seeing it. This is post 2.

1 Cor 10:4 They drank of THAT SPIRITUAL Rock that followed them & THAT ROCK [petra, in the Greek] was Christ. Here Christ is referred to as 'THAT PETRA.'

Here in Matt 16:18 however, Jesus does not say, upon THAT ROCK (referring to OT Scripture fulfilled as Peter Himself said (I Pet 2:6), quoting from Isaiah 28:16 but THIS PETRA. There is a difference then in what Jesus is saying and the 'prior' context in Matt 16, not often mentioned, I think is the key to what 'this' petra is.  More on this later, Lord willing.

NepalMt.jpg

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,228
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I am asking for this to be moved to one of the questions and answer forums

• Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,061
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Mount Hermon.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,228
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Petra was a huge rock, and petros was like a chip off the old block, or a pebble in comparison.  So Jesus was not building His church on a pebble like Peter.  But Christ is called the Rock in many places in the old and new testaments.  He is the Rock of our salvation.  My fortress and my Rock.  The Stone that the builders rejected.  So my opinion is that the Rock is the Son of God.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

There is much debate on Matthew 16:16. There is no way to be 100% correct. This is just icing on the cake.

• This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,194
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:44 AM, docc4u said:

Hi docc4u,

This verse explains it well -

`For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is JEUS CHRIST.` (1 Cor. 3: 11)

regards, Marilyn.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 2