listener24

Question for literal interpretation of Revelation

Hi all!

I was reasoning about the book of Revelation. I usually interpret other books in the Bible, like the Gospel, literally. Indeed the Gospel is an historical narration of what Jesus said and did, so it seems logical to me to interpret it literally.

However, when it comes to Revelation, it seems to me that the whole style of the author is deliberately symbolic.

But I wanted to hear arguments from those who interpret it literally. Do you believe in literal beasts, woman clothed by literal sun, literal lamb and lion, literally people eating books sweet as honey but bitter in the stomach, literal dragon, literally Babylon, horses etc.?

If yes, can you explain your reasons?

Ps remember that even if you say "it's an adjective for" or something similar, then you are NOT sticking to your literal interpretation anymore, because an adjective can be used for countless people or situation. So either you read it as  100% literal or not.

Edited by listener24
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, listener24 said:

Hi all!

I was reasoning about the book of Revelation. I usually interpret other books in the Bible, like the Gospel, literally. Indeed the Gospel is an historical narration of what Jesus said and did, so it seems logical to me to interpret it literally.

However, when it comes to Revelation, it seems to me that the whole style of the author is deliberately symbolic.

But I wanted to hear arguments from those who interpret it literally. Do you believe in literal beasts, woman clothed by literal sun, literal lamb and lion, literally people eating books sweet as honey but bitter in the stomach, literal dragon, literally Babylon, horses etc.?

Ps remember that even if you say "it's an adjective for" or something similar, then you are NOT sticking to your literal interpretation anymore, because an adjective can be used for countless people or situation. So either you read it as  100% literal or not.

The concepts and events and actors are literal. The symbols are just that, symbols. The imagery represents real events, concepts, individuals, groups, etc. Do I think a literal red dragon will appear on earth for the people to worship? No. Do I think there is a literal 200 million strong army from the east with breastplates of purple, red and yellow all riding chimeras? Yes. 

The obvious imagery of the beasts in Rev 13 hearkens back to the beasts of Daniel 4, letting us know just who the beast is and from whence he cometh.

Literal Babylon? Sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, listener24 said:

Hi all!

You are confusing "literal" with "face-value."   We always interpret literally.  But we should not take  a face-value approach.   To interpret "literally" means to ascertain the literal meaning the author intends to convey.    Symbols are interpreted in the light of what the author is trying to say and the meaning he assigns to those symbols.  That is part of literal interpretations.

"Literal interpretation" means that I treat a parable like a parable, a prophecy like a prophecy, a proverb like a proverb.  It means I treat a symbol like a symbol.    "Literal" means that read the text is literature and the rules that  govern how various types of literature are to be read, always looking for the meaning supplied by the author.

So when I read Revelation, I don't see an actual dragon;  I look for the meaning the dragon represents.   That's the literal interpretative method.

Edited by shiloh357
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

I think care needs to be taken to use the term literal in the way that is commonly accepted and used by most people or confusion will result.

A precise use of the word literal means to take written words with their usual meaning with no allegory, symbolism, or metaphor attached.  From Merriam Webster, here is a nice example.  The literal meaning of “know your ropes” is “to know a lot about ropes,” while figuratively it means “to know a lot about how to do something.”   (As an aside, the OED now notes an informal usage of emphasis while not being literally true.  E.g. ‘I was literally blown away by the response I got.’)  As soon as we say that particular words have a symbolic, metaphorical, allegorical, or other such meaning, we are no longer taking them literally.

In the Christian circles I have been part of, most people seem to reserve the usage of the term "literal interpretation" for those passages which are taken as written without introducing another layer of explanation as to what metaphors, allegories, symbols, or other literary devices are being used along with their meaning.  As far as I can tell, the term literal is usually used according to its standard meaning.

For example, take this passage during the crucifixion of Christ.  "It was now about noon, and darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon,  for the sun stopped shining. " (Luke 23:44-45 NIV).   There are 3 ways (off the top of my head) that this passage might be treated.

1. God turned off the sun for 3 hours and it emitted no light whatsoever.

2.  People saw a physical darkness around them and couldn't see the sun.  There was an eclipse (or some type of unnatural or unseasonal heavy cloud cover or something) that caused the land to be dark.

3. This is symbolic of the people being spiritually darkened and saddened because of the death of the Son of God.  Darkness and the sun not shining would be considered a metaphor for spiritual darkness.  The sun actually kept shining and it was something else that happened that wasn't physically observed.

I would only consider 1 and 2 to be literal interpretations of the passage.  Option 1 is to take the words as a literal description of the objective behavior of the sun itself.  Option 2 is to take the words as a literal description of how people viewed the sun and what they were seeing (within common use of language to describe the world in anthropocentric terms).  Option 3 is to take a nonliteral approach and assume that some sort of symbolism or metaphor is being used.  I'd guess that most Christians would take option 2 as their understanding of this passage.  They would probably describe this as a literal interpretation of this passage.  On the other hand, I think that most Christians would describe option 3 as some sort of metaphorical interpretation of the passage and would NOT describe option 3 as a "literal interpretation of spiritual darkness instead of physical darkness."  They'd probably describe option 3 as really saying "what seems to be a literal description of physical darkness is really just a metaphor being used to represent a metaphorical meaning of spiritual darkness."  I think that very few people would describe option 3 as being literal in any way.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

Both descriptions, literal and metaphorical, are used by those who read scripture

One must be guided by the Lord's holy spirit in order to make the correct selection .... this takes time and a great deal of study 

7 hours ago, listener24 said:

Hi all!

Revelation is like a big picture book to draw a picture in your mind.    Lots of symbols. 

You don't want to read over this verse here.

Rev 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

John was taken in the spirit to the Lords day and shown things.   

Revelation covers a long period of time ch 12.  

God doesn't deal if factious animals. 

The First Beast
Rev 13:1  And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.

The sea is the  peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues. (Rev 17:15)

What is this beast?   Its a" political system" having having seven heads(regions) and ten horns(powers, and upon his horns ten crowns(crowns to rule), and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.

Rev 17:12 And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast.

The 10 kings rule for 1 hour with the beast system.

Rev 13:2  And the beast(political system) which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.

Like a leopard -symbolic of the kenites and their 4 horns of power.    A leopard with its spots can hide.

Mouth of a lion- Christian nations

feet of a bear- Communistic atheistic system of Russia. 

You can read the same powers in Dan 7.

woman clothed by literal sun.

This sign was in heaven and the woman is Israel the 12 tribes.

literal lamb and lion

Rev 5:5 And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.

Christ is the only one who can open the book ie the seals to you.

literally people eating books sweet as honey but bitter in the stomach

Rev 10:9  And I went unto the angel, and said unto him, Give me the little book. And he said unto me, Take it, and eat it up; and it shall make thy belly bitter, but it shall be in thy mouth sweet as honey.

Ever heard the expression of consuming a book.     Its speaking of the Bible and when you eat it ie consume it and learn what Satan does it makes you bitter.    But Gods TRUTH  is sweet as honey over the buds of your mind.

Rev 10:10  And I took the little book out of the angel's hand, and ate it up; and it was in my mouth sweet as honey: and as soon as I had eaten it, my belly was bitter.
Rev 10:11  And he said unto me, Thou must prophesy again before many peoples, and nations, and tongues, and kings.

literal dragon

Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

Just one of Satan's names and also the name of his political system.  (Rev 13)

literally Babylon

Rev 17:5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

What does babylon mean in the greek.

G897
Βαβυλών
Babulōn
bab-oo-lone'
Of Hebrew origin [H894]; Babylon, the capital of Chaldaea (literally or figuratively as a type of tyranny): - Babylon.

H894
בָּבֶל
bâbel
baw-bel'
From H1101; confusion; Babel (that is, Babylon), including Babylonia and the Babylonian empire: - Babel, Babylon.

Babylon is the fountain-head of all idolatry and systems of false worship. This is the "mystery of iniquity" (2Th_2:7) seen in all the great "religions" of the world.

So this woman that rides the" political system" is in confusion,  doesn't have God's seal of Truth in her forehead but she thinks Anti-christ is Jesus. 

Horses are always symbolic of powers as in the seals Rev 6. 

• Brilliant! 1

"What is this beast?   Its a" political system"

The beast of Revelation 9; 13; and 17 is Abaddon/Apollyon

This fallen angel of Satan's contrivance rules the Middle East, 5 past and 2 future during the coming tribulation period

.... the 70th week decreed

Begin with this truth and then do more related study  

Edited by Daniel 11:36
  • Thumbs Up 1

Whenever possible the book of Revelation should be interpreted literally. There is some spiritual meaning in its words but with a Bible study from an excellent Bible scholar those words can be interpreted correctly.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Diaste @shiloh357 @GandalfTheWise  @Daniel 11:36 @missmuffet @7trumpets @Rick_Parker

Thanks all, very insightful answers!

On 12/3/2017 at 9:23 AM, GandalfTheWise said:

I would only consider 1 and 2 to be literal interpretations of the passage.  Option 1 is to take the words as a literal description of the objective behavior of the sun itself.  Option 2 is to take the words as a literal description of how people viewed the sun and what they were seeing (within common use of language to describe the world in anthropocentric terms).  Option 3 is to take a nonliteral approach and assume that some sort of symbolism or metaphor is being used.

How would you see different "literal" options when it comes to the numbers? Like the 144000, the 1000 years etc. 

Could an interpretation that accepts there is a certain number of elects, but not necessarily 144000 (and not 139999, or 144001) still be "literal"?

On 12/3/2017 at 7:13 AM, shiloh357 said:

Symbols are interpreted in the light of what the author is trying to say and the meaning he assigns to those symbols.  That is part of literal interpretations.

You are right shiloh357, some parts often explains themselves. 

On 12/3/2017 at 7:13 AM, shiloh357 said:

So when I read Revelation, I don't see an actual dragon;  I look for the meaning the dragon represents.   That's the literal interpretative method.

Again, could this be said also for the very rounded numbers? (like 144000). Looking for the meaning of 144000. Or is it more likely that God makes His decision on who is saved and who has a place of honor, just to obtain cool and rounded numbers? 

Edited by listener24

• Similar Content

• By ShinyGospelShoes
      Daniel & Revelation - Psalms 77:13
      Psalms 77:13  Thy way, O God, is in the sanctuary: who is so great a God as our God?
      7 Branch Candlestick - Lampstand
      (I tried to insert as a picture, but do not know how, if anyone could help with that, much appreciated, 'a picture is worth a thousand words' as the proverb goes)

The first 'Book' Of Daniel
      Daniel 4:1-37; Daniel 3:1-30; Daniel 2:1-49; Daniel 1:1-21; Daniel 7:1-28; Daniel 6:1-28; Daniel 5:1-31
      In their parallel order as in the 7 branches of the candlestick (and will be demonstrated by the very text itself):
      Daniel 4:1-37 -- King, Everlasting Gospel, Saved
      Daniel 3:1-30 -- Law, Test, Worship, 1st Amendment
      Daniel 2:1-49 -- Vision, Kingdoms Of Earth To Heaven
      Daniel 1:1-21 -- Captivity To Release
      Daniel 7:1-28 -- Vision, Kingdoms Of Earth To Heaven
      Daniel 6:1-28 -- Law, Test, Worship, 1st Amendment
      Daniel 5:1-31-- King, Everlasting Gospel, Lost

The second 'Book' of Daniel
      Daniel 8:1 - 12:13
      (This portion of Daniel, deals with the Sanctuary services itself, and is steeped in Sanctuary langauge, to be demonstrated by the text itself a little later.)

The Revelation Of Jesus Christ
      Rev. 1:1-5:14; Rev. 6:1-8:1; Rev. 8:2-11:19; Rev. 12:1-14:20; Rev. 15:1-19:21; Rev. 20:1-15; Rev. 21:1-22:21
      In their parallel order as in the 7 branches of the candlestick (and will be demonstrated by the very text itself):
      Revelation 1:1 - 5:14 -- The 7 Churches
      Revelation 6:1 - 8:1 -- The 7 Seals
      Revelation 8:2 - 11:19 -- The 7 Trumpets
      Revelation 12:1 - 14:20 -- The Great War
      Revelation 15:1 - 19:21 -- The 7 Last Plagues
      Revelation 20:1-15 -- The 1,000 Years
      Revelation 21:1 - 22:21 -- The New Jerusalem

The Feasts of the LORD
      Leviticus 23:4-44
      1 - 1 - 1 - 3 - 7 - 7 - 7
      The Passover (1st Month (Abib), 14th day, at even) - Leviticus 23:4-5
      Unleavened Bread (1st Month (Abib), 15th day unto 21st day (7 days), a yearly feastal sabbath) - Leviticus 23:6-8
      Firstfruits/Wavesheaf (1st Month (Abib), 16th day, on the morrow after the sabbath) - Leviticus 23:9-14
      Pentecost/Feast of Weeks (3rd Month (Sivan), 50 days (7 complete Sabbath's (7*7=49) and unto the morrow after the 7th Sabbath (49+1=50)) - Leviticus 23:15-22
      Trumpets (7th Month (Ethanim), 1st day) - Leviticus 23:23-25
      Atonement (7th Month (Ethanim), 10th day, yearly festal sabbath, in the 9th day, even unto even) - Leviticus 23:26-32
      Booths/Tabernacles/Ingathering (7th Month (Ethanim), 15th day unto 21st day (7 days), and an 8th day (the 1st and 8th being a yearly festal sabbath)) - Leviticus 23:33-44
    • By Brother Duke
      Here is a study I have been working on.

Woe, Woe, woe.

Revelation uses woes as markers or time stamps. The trumpets, seals and bowls are grouped within the 3 woes. The word Alas is translated from the same word in the Greek that is Woe. I have also noticed the great earthquake is always around the resurrection. There was a great earthquake when Christ was resurrected and there was an earthquake when the two witness were brought back to life.

Revelation 8:13 And I beheld, and heard an angel flying through the midst of heaven, saying with a loud voice, Woe, woe, woe, to the inhabiters of the earth by reason of the other voices of the trumpet of the three angels, which are yet to sound!

1st woe devil is cast out and tribulation starts.

Revelation 9:1 And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.

Revelation 12:12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

Matthew 24:9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake. 

Matthew 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

2nd woe resurrection/rapture. Babylon is judged.

Matthew 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: 30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Revelation 9:12 One woe is past; and, behold, there come two woes more hereafter.

Revelation 11:14 The second woe is past; and, behold, the third woe cometh quickly.

Revelation 11:13 And the same hour was there a great earthquake, and the tenth part of the city fell, and in the earthquake were slain of men seven thousand: and the remnant were affrighted, and gave glory to the God of heaven.

Revelation 16:18 And there were voices, and thunders, and lightnings; and there was a great earthquake, such as was not since men were upon the earth, so mighty an earthquake, and so great.

Revelation 6:12 And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood; 

Revelation 9:13 And the sixth angel sounded, and I heard a voice from the four horns of the golden altar which is before God,

Revelation 11:11 And after three days and an half the Spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them.

Revelation 18:10 Standing afar off for the fear of her torment, saying, Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come.

Revelation 18:16 And saying, Alas, alas, that great city, that was clothed in fine linen, and purple, and scarlet, and decked with gold, and precious stones, and pearls! 

Revelation 18:19 And they cast dust on their heads, and cried, weeping and wailing, saying, Alas, alas, that great city, wherein were made rich all that had ships in the sea by reason of her costliness! for in one hour is she made desolate.

Revelation 14:8 And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication.

Revelation 6:9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held

3rd woe God's wrath

Revelation 11:15 And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever. 

Revelation 11:18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

Revelation 6::17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?
    • By omharris
      “It’s not just that we don’t know our Bible but that we have so fragmented, dissected, and compartmentalized the Bible that we have lost sight of its great overarching story.”
      Hugh Whelchel i
      Occasionally I ask myself, what motivates me to write. In response, I would have to say it's religious opposition and a deeply seated desire to see the church walking in truth. The idea of walking in truth, in my mind, means a church that is trained appropriately in the Word. I don't see that happening at any of the churches I have been a part of.
      An aspect of that opposition recently occurred as a “brother” in Christ, told a friend of mine, that I believe life has to be one-way, mine. Have you read any of my posts? Do I present myself like that? Hardly, I attempt to show God's word as the only basis for truth, and, in a manner that people can understand. I suppose, to some degree, that means adding my commentary to what I write in an effort to promote understanding, but leaving the decision-making process to the reader, as they accept or reject God's word. With that understanding you are not rejecting me, you are denying God's truth and mercy, as you refuse what God's word says.
      Elijah, the prophet, bemoaned his situation and cried out that he was alone in Israel.
      1 Kings 19:9-10 NASB Then he came there to a cave and lodged there; and behold, the word of the LORD came to him, and He said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?" 10) He said, "I have been very zealous for the LORD, the God of hosts; for the sons of Israel have forsaken Your covenant, torn down Your altars and killed Your prophets with the sword. And I alone am left; and they seek my life, to take it away."
      And yes, that is the way I feel some days. God's response.
      1 Kings 19:18 NASB "Yet I will leave 7,000 in Israel, all the knees that have not bowed to Baal and every mouth that has not kissed him."
      I realize that I am not alone, but the number of those who are passionate about God are few. I am fortunate to sit with a few of them on a weekly basis.
      Having had someone say of me, “he believes it has to be, his way or no way,” is somewhat like a slap in my face, and I can tell you I am highly intolerant of actions like that. So, why would someone say something like that about me? Perhaps it is because I am very passionate about truth and God's word.
      Sending everyone to hell at the Great White Throne has nothing to do with truth; it merely demonstrates how adamant this man is about judgment, something we are to leave to Jesus, [especially since ALL judgment has/or will be given to Him.]
      The Apostle Paul was not put off by the scholars of the Berean community. In fact, he thought highly of them. This body of believers did their research and found that Torah and Tanakh validated what Paul was saying. Having legitimized Paul's statements they believed. When you consider the limited resources, these men had, our accolades for them should be even more significant.
      Let me give you an example of what this opposition to, and the rejection of, the truth looks like.
      The man who leads the Monday morning study, once again pointed out that he was an ordained Bible study leader, not a pastor. As the leader, he has just about every week, exclaimed that everyone brought to the Great White Throne judgment is sent to hell. If you are a reasonable student of the Bible you should be asking, is that a correct statement? The answer is NO, but why would you know that?
      Because you have read the Word of God, as you should; you looked at the context; compared alternate texts and scenarios, and, like a hungry pet who has, awaited you to come home so they can eat, chewed on and ingested every word so that you could understand the depth and meaning of the Greek words being used and their Hebrew origins. But here is where the problem lays, as statistically, no one does that?
      The statistical work I am going to show you were undertaken by Lifeway Research in 2014. Here is an excerpt from Christianity Today.ii
      “Some Stats to Consider
      Bible Reading
      Americans read the Bible on occasion—churchgoers a little more. In a recent LifeWay Research study, we learned the following about our Bible reading habits among church attendees. They indicated that they read their Bible as follows:
      19% - Every day
      26% - A few times a week
      14% - Once a week
      22% - At least once a month
      18% - Rarely or never.
      There are a couple of interesting takeaways from this study. Almost 60% of churchgoers open our Bibles at home during the week at least once. And for every person who is reading his/her Bible every day (19%), someone isn’t… at all (18%).”
      Do you think, in this condition of apostasy, that the numbers would improve any as time progresses?
      I was pondering this idea before pulling up the statistical information. My guess/estimate would have been about 20% of the “church” actually reading their Bibles every day. But even then I could see a problem with that number because I sit with some of these 20% per-centers, and know for a fact that they will not move off their traditional interpretations and understandings regardless of what you show them in scripture. Are you beginning to see a problem? Illiteracy has no option but to run rampant through the church; And, it is not just the church. I just read yesterday, 5/10/2018, that schools have found they are going to have to take down the analog clocks on the schoolhouse walls and replace them with digital clocks because no one can read them.
      Let's go back to the significant false teaching of the morning “bible” study – how that everyone coming before the Great White Throne goes to a fiery hell.
      The first question is: how does one study the Bible? It seems to me that everyone should know how to do this; in truth, I had to learn how.
      Every student should:
      Read the text without a premise.
      As you read ask, what is this passage supposed to be saying to me?
      Do not merely assume that the teacher standing before you, saying things like, “What Paul is saying here,” is the truth. [Here is a heads up. Paul, a former Pharisee, a man who was very skillful at what he did, had no problem speaking to JEWS, about this new life and grace found in Christ. This is the case as Saul/Paul spoke about the Hebrew wording within the Law and the Prophets and pointed out the evidence in those words, which led to an understanding, in those who chose to listen, that Jesus of Nazareth was the Messiah they longed for. Paul made it clear that our acceptance of Yahshua brought about this life and the hope we have come to understand.]
      The idea of reading without a premise can be applied to my pastor's sermons since he has a motive and a point to be made. In pushing his motive, he has created a premise and is working to make the scriptures fit his premise. These directed efforts often work in opposition to my understanding of Bible study.
      Look at the context.
      An example of this applies to what I am going to analyze momentarily – Matthew 25, where we see the sheep and the goats at the throne of judgment. The context surrounding this word picture begins in Matthew 21, when Jesus rides into Jerusalem, on the back of an unridden donkey – the Rolls Royce of the day, and He is perceived as the Messiah Israel hoped for. Unfortunately, He did not do what the disciples, nor the people expected, as He overturned the sellers tables, chairs, and loosed their merchandise where they had been selling, in the court of the Gentiles. And then, Jesus got into a verbal confrontation with the elders and Pharisees. All this activity shook the disciples and prompted them to ask, “when will all these things come to pass, and what will be the sign of your coming as the Messiah.
      I am always analyzing the scriptures even as the pastor speaks. I examine the context and what the interlinear Greek or Hebrew dictionary says the words mean. Occasionally, the pastor is preaching in opposition to what the words mean. As a side note: Pastor and I had a bad moment one day, as he challenged me about my intensive focus on end times and the eschatology books of the Bible. In his indictment of me, he said, “Notice how in my sermons, I present the gospel in a manner that brings about change in people.” I try not to overthink the pastor's words that day, but isn't that what the Word of God is supposed to do, change people?
      Look for a comparative text.
      Many of the Calvary Chapel pastors, like Don Stewart or the late Chuck Smith, used to say, “allow scripture to define scripture.” What does that mean? As I read the Revelation, I see where John, on two occasions, in speaking to the churches, uses the term the Synagogue (Rev 2:9, Rev 3:9.) Why is this significant? Because John, was not writing in code as some would ascribe, he was writing to Jewish converts/followers of Christ. And therefore, spoke in a language they would immediately understand. Greek, of course, was one aspect of this language but the other carried the oral history and word stories from the Old Testament. The evidence for this is rather extensive and is demonstrated in the writings of James (James 2:2) and the Apostle Paul. Read Acts 18. In every city we find Paul entering the local Synagogue and preaching. For over fifteen years Paul preached, almost exclusively, to Jews. It was only after years of abuse at the hands of religious Jews that Paul finally said, and I am taking this message to the Gentiles.
      The Apostle John, James, Peter, and Paul focused their attention on the Jewish community. Peter, although he had a brief exchange with the Roman Centurion's family, maintained, as did James and John, a focus on Jews. [Read Paul's account in Galatians 2,] Many of these believed for years that this gospel of Jesus was meant exclusively for Jews. Peter, in 2 Peter 3:10 says,
      “But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up.” NASB
      This passage has clear and definite associations with Isaiah 13:9; Jeremiah 46:10 among others.
      In conjunction with the idea of comparative texts, was the indication that everything, aside from direct revelation from the Holy Spirit, came out of the Torah and Tanakh. Paul's letters; James words on wisdom, and the Revelation that John conveyed, all came from the Old Testament. We can put this idea of comparative texts into action where Revelation speaks of a multi-headed beast with crowns and horns (Revelation 13:1). This imagery is found in multiple locations but primarily in the words of the prophet Daniel (Daniel 7:7).
      Matthew 25:31-45, where we see the sheep and goats, is a comparative text. The words Jesus spoke were in response to questions His Jewish disciples ask him, and those words made sense to a Jewish audience. If you had been a student in Synagogue school you were expected to memorize the Old Testament teachings. Therefore, one might expect that these people were looking for these events to happen.
      Try to take in as much of the background wording into consideration as you can.
      When I look at Matthew 25:31-45 in the NASB, the segment that speaks of the sheep and goats carries the headline, The Final Judgment. That headline in itself gives me nothing of value except as a reference point. If I were looking for a direct association to the final judgment, there is nothing within these verses that define this explicitly by using that terminology.
      Can I find an inference of final judgment in verse 31?
      Matthew 25:31 NASB "But when the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on His glorious throne.
      Here you see the Son of Man coming in His glory.
      This is the same Jesus that Stephen saw, as he stood before the Jewish council (Acts 7:55-56,) and it is the same Jesus that Daniel saw in Daniel 7:13.
      And, He will sit on His glorious throne.
      There is a passage in Joel 3:12 that would cause the audience listening to the speaker that day to take note. Joel 3:12 LITV Let the nations be awakened and come up to the valley of Jehoshaphat. For there I will sit to judge all the nations all around.
      This passage in Joel can easily be associated with the judgment we are about to see in Matthew 25. These two points alone do not convince me, as we see Jesus coming in Revelation 19 prior to Him being seated for judgment, and, there is no account of Him sitting upon His throne in Revelation 19.
      To be honest, I have to stretch my mind a bit to see the final judgment. However, if I look at the next verse, the finality suddenly becomes clearer, especially if I have an understanding of Joel 3:12. [Mat 25:32 And before Him shall be gathered all the nations;]
      There is only one glorious throne.
      Is this the same throne that we see in Revelation? We have to look at Revelation 20:11 and see if there is something here that matches.
      Revelation 20:11 NASB Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat upon it, from whose presence earth and heaven fled away, and no place was found for them.
      A great white throne
      Our only references to a white throne come from 1 Kings 10:18 and 2Ch 9:17, and they are effectively the same story
      1 Kings 10:18 NASB Moreover, the king made a great throne of ivory and overlaid it with refined gold.
      Ezekiel tells us what he saw, Ezekiel 1:26 NASB Now above the expanse that was over their heads there was something resembling a throne, like lapis lazuli in appearance; and on that which resembled a throne, high up, was a figure with the appearance of a man.
      lapis lazuli - Sapphire - Clear heavenly blue. Apparently, the color is insignificant.
      In 1Kings 10:18 it is clear that this is a great throne, and in Daniel 7:9 Daniel sees the throne as being fiery flames.
      Although you don't see this happening in Matthew 25, Revelation 20:7-8 tells us that after the thousand years, Satan is released from his prison and he deceives the nations. Those nations, in turn, surround the city of God in an attempt to kill God and His people. Those gathered are killed in an instant. The next event scripture shows us is the gathering of the nations, or, as Matthew 25 puts it, the dead are brought before this great throne.
      Although my methods of sorting out what I read, and disseminating the false teachings I hear, might be different than what you learn in seminary, they work for me. You also just got the added benefit of some insight into a false teaching that seems to enjoy sending all who approach the throne of judgment, to hell. A serious look at scripture will demonstrate that such a teaching is blatantly false and damaging to our understanding of who God is.

iThe Church’s Secret: Biblical Illiteracy in the 21st Century, Hugh Whelchel, writing for the Institute for Faith, Work, and Economics. March 13, 2017. https://tifwe.org/the-churchs-secret-biblical-illiteracy-in-the-21st-century/
      iiBiblical Illiteracy by the Numbers Part 1: The Challenge
      https://www.christianitytoday.com/edstetzer/2014/october/biblical-illiteracy-by-numbers.html
    • By Jonathan BeWell
      "All for Today"

I wandered the streets naked hearing only the beats
      of my heart overflowing with a sixth sense
      of urgency; emergency; clergymen; demons;
      I fainted.
      Time had ceased.
      My mind was creased.
      Cursed with the truth, the lies twisted my hindsight;
      the sight lit my foresight
      and the now was one huge stooge
      ready to fall.
      It was a desperate call
      and I knew not who to listen to or who to tell,
      my apparently tortured loneliness was living hell.
      I eventually landed in a psychiatric ward
      where all my kin were studied as a backwards horde.
      The call was still ringing in my ears but 
      I was stuck in tangents of a concentration camp.
      The antics of my fellow prisoners of war
      only proved to me I was in on the score
      and was losing; missing in action with
      only my (innocent of the facts) family to protect me.
      That was a decade ago now and how I
      came through is miraculous.
      ...yet that time is not written off,
      it still haunts me to this day,
      a reality I rarely speak of...
      and that is all I will burden you with today.

-Gregory KJ Brumwell 2004
    • By Jonathan BeWell
      My following testimony is inspired by shapes' post in the "Worthy Q & A for Seekers" forum.  And I quote, "How does God deal with those who have mental illness. Does he heal people from this affliction?"  https://www.worthychristianforums.com/topic/219239-mental-illness-god/#comment-2777709
      God dealt with my mind in a mess by giving me a guardian angel.  I have seen and heard her.  God had me born into an amazing family.  They love, protect and provide for me.  God gave me and the ability to discern real true friends.  Only a couple dozen never gave up on me.  God supplied me with doctors, psychiatrists and professionals.  Medications, personal care and safety nets caught me when I fell, repeatedly.  God commands my government, nation and community services to help me, however little and lacking it is.   God dealt with me by interacting with my heart, mind, body and soul.  Most importantly, God dealt with my sin by sending His Son, Jesus Christ, to save, protect and heal me. 
      I have been saved since 2016's Christmas season.  I dove deep into everything Christian and came up baptized on the last day of 2017 (also baptized as an infant).  I attended some prayer meetings last year.  They anointed me with oil and prayed for the healing of my mind.  Since then, God has been healing and restoring me among other areas of my life.  I feel shocks of energy surge though and jerk my body.  I have been told this is the blood of Jesus running through me.  When I am praying, willingly changing my thoughts to God's will, having revelations or meditating on God, I feel tangible physical healing in my temples behind my eyes.  It has the similar sensation of a yawn, a condensed vibration.  A Christian veteran I admire said something that stuck in my head relatively recently.  "I don't even think like that anymore."  It was a eureka revelation moment at the time and applies to what has been happening to my mind over the past year.  I am becoming less like the Greg of the past and more like Christ.  The Holy Spirit is alive and well in me and changing me for the better.
      The short answer is, "yes," He does heal people from this affliction. 
      How God deals with sin, evil, death and even demons is by offering Jesus Christ a place in between us and all those "mental health issues."  The secular world is leaving out God (in three Persons) as the ultimate and only real true solution, cure, coping mechanism and explanation, etcetera.  I am living breathing proof.  People would have a hard time believing my past.  People in my past would have a hard time believing my present.  My future will be hard to believe for anyone stuck in the secular world ignoring the one, true, living God.  Jesus Christ is alive and well and has made me so, eternally, glory be to our Heavenly Father!
      12 The demons begged Jesus, “Send us among the pigs; allow us to go into them.” 13 He gave them permission, and the impure spirits came out and went into the pigs. The herd, about two thousand in number, rushed down the steep bank into the lake and were drowned.
      - Mark 5:12-13 New International Version (NIV)
      3 Therefore, holy brothers and sisters, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus, whom we acknowledge as our apostle and high priest.
      - Hebrews 3:1 New International Version (NIV)
      7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
      - Philippians 4:7 New International Version (NIV)