Emily Souly

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Last three weeks, our Rugby League team defeated a tier one nation in the cup quarter finals. During that week before their game, I was doing a very secret and private fasting and praying. After the teams defeat, social media was on a melt down back here at home with people wanting to share their joy and happiness. The following week, they were to face the 10-time rugby league champions which is the Aussie Kangaroos. During that week, I had an argument on one of Jarryd Hayne's fans on Facebook. She told me to that I could not do anything to make our boys win but comment. I told her angrily that it was an emotional win not for them but for me as well because I fasted and prayed for them to win on that particular week and I do not mind doing it again. 3 days before the match, I realized I was doing it all wrong. I made it know on social media that I was willing to fast and pray for the team. I was not alone but there were other fans around the world doing the same thing as they have posted up on twitter and Facebook. I knew from that very moment that they will lose and they did lost to Australia.  

This topic I am willing to share with you the right way of fasting. 

What is Fasting? Should I Fast?

Fasting is the most powerful way to communicate with the Lord ans to demonstrate one's faith. Its an intense sacrifice that you make. Biblical fasting is no food and no water for more intense fast. There's an absolute fast and a total fast. One of them has water and one of them does not. It's giving up food, giving up water to cry out to the Lord to get your petitions heard, to get His attention. 

How Powerful is fasting anyway?:huh:

Matthew 17:15-21

"Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.  And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him. Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.  And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour. Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?  And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting."

1. This kind of faith that does not come out from you with our prayer and fasting.

2. This kind of demon that was in that boy could not be cast out unless you are praying and fasting. You can look at both ways and I think you can take it both ways.

Methods of Fasting :rolleyes:

To cry out to God and seek His attention, it is a great idea to surrender other things as well. There are many spiritual reasons to fast. You can fast for any length of time you want . That is between you and God.

In the bible we learn that people fasted to:

- repent from their sins.

- intensify a prayer request.

- show how sorry you are.

- get God to change His mind about something.

- build up spiritual dedications and commitments.

There's something unique and spiritual, something significant that takes place when we are willing to deny our flesh. Our spirits are magnified before the Lord. We're able to engage the spiritual elements of God in a more powerful way. When we make a sacrifice to God, we are saying to Him that He is more important in this world than my fleshy desires. When we do this with a pure heart, God recognizes our efforts, faithful efforts and He draws closer to us, He hears us and responds to us in a Mighty way. He recognizes these works because they are done in faith. We practice fasting by faith, we are diligently showing the Lord we will do anything for Him. By afflicting our bodies and crucifying that fleshly desire, we become weak before God, demonstrating our dependence upon Him. We're crying out to God from the inner most parts of our soul when we fast. This is the most intensive way to communicate with God. 

The bible says that God rewards those who diligently seek Him and He saves those who are broken hearten.

Hebrews 11:6

"But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."

Jeremiah 29:13

"And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart."

Psalm 34:18

" The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit."

He desires us to break ourselves before His thrown. There is nothing more powerful than fasting to do that. Jesus told us that the poor and Spirit are blessed. When we fast, we are making ourselves poor before the Lord, crying out to Him, broken, weak, humbling ourselves. Our spirits are elevating, God exalts us. God listens. God pays attention why because it is done in faith. If you don't fast in faith. 

Matthew 5:3

" Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Jesus blessed the poor in spirit. Why? Because God pays attention. Because God is listening. Because God is there for them. Fasting breaks you down.

Begin with a simple goal and grow within a intensity overtime. The scarifies of God that we bring to God are broken spirit. Psalm 51:17 - The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. There are many reasons for fast.

Jesus taught us how to fast and practice fasting Himself. Matthew 4:2 -  And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.

Fasting was a regular part of life in the old testament. Zechariah 8:10 - For before these days there was no hire for man, nor any hire for beast; neither was there any peace to him that went out or came in because of the affliction: for I set all men every one against his neighbour.

Fasting was commented by God. Leviticus 23:27 -  Also on the tenth day of this seventh month there shall be a day of atonement: it shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall afflict your souls, and offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD. 

And while fasting can be used for purposes raging from seeking God's direction, casting out devils. There is a clear distinction between the right way to fast and a wrong way to fast. Isaiah 58:3-7 - Wherefore have we fasted, say they, and thou seest not? wherefore have we afflicted our soul, and thou takest no knowledge? Behold, in the day of your fast ye find pleasure, and exact all your labours. Behold, ye fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high. Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD? Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

Jesus gives us instructions on how to fast. Matthew 6:16-18. Its says don't fast like hypocrites. Don't look like you're fasting. Don't tell people you a fasting. Keep it in a inner secret. Do it as a sacrifice to God and don't make a public spectral of it unless you are doing in a group church. Moreover, when He fast, Be not as the hypocrites with a sad look on your face, for the disfigure their faces and they appeared to men to show that they are fasting. They showed everybody "Oh I'm fasting." They make a big deal about it. (Matthew 6:16-18 - Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.  But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face; That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

Reasons Why We Should Fast?

Isaiah 58:6-7

" Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

God's purposes of fasting is to:

- afflict and humble oneself.

- to focus our hearts on God's will, not ours.

- to remind us of our purpose, to serve righteousness, to increase our blessings which come in many forms such as power, increase faith, increase spiritual gifts, answers to prayers, mercy, relief of sorrow, etc.

There's a personal reason to fast and a way you should be treating others while you are fasting. In verse 7 explains how to treat others while you are fasting cause they were fasting and not treating each other with love. You can fast all day long if you are not fulfilling love and faith two greatest commandments love, Love God, Love your neighbour. If you are not doing that, your fast is useless and pointless in just a religious practice. That is what Jesus say, Don't do it like the hypocrites. You are fasting but you are not practicing love. It's a wrong way to fast.

A proper way to fast. Isaiah 58:3 - Wherefore have we fasted, say they, and thou seest not? wherefore have we afflicted our soul, and thou takest no knowledge? Behold, in the day of your fast ye find pleasure, and exact all your labours.  Compare right and wrong way to fast. God is pointing out Isaiah 58:6-7, in what our hearts need to be focus on when we fast, the Lord is comparing His chosen fast to the kind of fasting people of Israel were doing in verses 3 to 5.

Isaiah 58:3-5 -" Wherefore have we fasted, say they, and thou seest not? wherefore have we afflicted our soul, and thou takest no knowledge? Behold, in the day of your fast ye find pleasure, and exact all your labours.  Behold, ye fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high. Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD? "  He is just pointing out that when they were fasting, they were still acting carnal. They were not caring for the poor, they were not caring for the hungry. The fast of God is to obey spiritual principles, is to humble yourselves before God and still serve love towards your neighbour.

Benefits of Fasting. Isaiah 58:8-11

v.8_ faster healing and break through, growing in righteousness.

v.9_ intimacy with God, getting God's attention, faster answer's to our petitions.

v.10_ to increase light which is wisdom, truth, knowledge and power of God.

v.11_ guidance, satisfactions, prosperity and security.

To get God's attention and confess sins. Nehemiah 1:4-11 - And it came to pass, when I heard these words, that I sat down and wept, and mourned certain days, and fasted, and prayed before the God of heaven,  And said, I beseech thee, O LORD God of heaven, the great and terrible God, that keepeth covenant and mercy for them that love him and observe his commandments: Let thine ear now be attentive, and thine eyes open, that thou mayest hear the prayer of thy servant, which I pray before thee now, day and night, for the children of Israel thy servants, and confess the sins of the children of Israel, which we have sinned against thee: both I and my father's house have sinned. We have dealt very corruptly against thee, and have not kept the commandments, nor the statutes, nor the judgments, which thou commandedst thy servant Moses.  He was trying to get God's attention and confess sins for the nation. If you had sin in our life and repent, fasting is a good way to let the Lord know that you are serious cause a lot of people are sorry for what they do.

All these works we do are done by faith. Fasting to ask God to change His mind about judgement. He does not change in nature but He change mind all throughout the Scriptures when people repent, He does not want to perish you. God does not want to punish you but He will if you disobey Him. If you repent, God will repent. Just study the scriptures. Read the bible for yourself. Pray and fast that God will teach you all these things.

David fasted in 2 Samuel 12:16-23 to get God to change His mind. God did not change His mind. David did not want his son to die and as a part of the punishment to David, the Lord took his son's life. And God did not change His mind on that. So, David was repenting for God to change His mind but He didn't. They repented for God to change His mind in Jonah 3 and He did! The scriptures says the Lord will show mercy on whom He shows mercy, compassion on whom He shows compassion. He told Job, " Where were you when I made the stars. I'll do what I want." He's God. That's why we need to fear Him.

1 Kings 21:25-29 But there was none like unto Ahab, which did sell himself to work wickedness in the sight of the LORD, whom Jezebel his wife stirred up. And he did very abominably in following idols, according to all things as did the Amorites, whom the LORD cast out before the children of Israel. And it came to pass, when Ahab heard those words, that he rent his clothes, and put sackcloth upon his flesh, and fasted, and lay in sackcloth, and went softly. And the word of the LORD came to Elijah the Tishbite, saying, Seest thou how Ahab humbleth himself before me? because he humbleth himself before me, I will not bring the evil in his days: but in his son's days will I bring the evil upon his house. 

The people fasted for repentance to stop the evil consequences the Lord was going to sent, the Lord respected Ahab's actions to repent, humble himself and so He did not sent evil on that time but He sis sent it upon His children later. So it postponed God's judgement in that case. Ahab spared his children, ended up getting punish for that. Fasting will break your pride quick.

Fasting for sorrow. You're sorry for something you did or happen?

1 Samuel 3:13 For I have told him that I will judge his house for ever for the iniquity which he knoweth; because his sons made themselves vile, and he restrained them not.

They fasted and mourned for 7 days. Because of the killings that were going on, people that were dying. Saul was killed and his sons. This is when he lost his throne and David took over. They took Saul and children's bones buried under a tree and fasted for even days, they were mourning and they were crying. Somebody dies, you fast. Somebody get hurt, you fast. It's a way of expressing sorrow. Don't eat.

Joel 1:1-19. They fast for shame and lost because they were ashamed of what they did and all the lost for their disobedience, they fasted.

Fasting for direction and an answer to prayer. Judges 20; Ezra 8. If you got a question in your life, want wisdom and understanding, you want to know where to live, where to get your job, who should you marry, FAST FOR THREE DAYS.

Fasting for blessings, growth and ministry. Acts 13 & 14

If you have a greedy heart, the Lord sees it. You fast for more money, out of greed and envy, you are not going to get it. You just need to be content in your life.

Fasting was a regular part of life. Zachariah 8

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  328
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  10/27/1957

Thank you, Emily.

I thought it is well worth the read.
You covered the subject very comprehensively.

By faith.
Paul

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

"Fasting for direction and an answer to prayer. Judges 20; Ezra 8. If you got a question in your life, want wisdom and understanding, you want to know where to live, where to get your job, who should you marry, FAST FOR THREE DAYS."

Hi, I have missed the connection if any between  Judges 20  Ezra 8 and FAST FOR THREE DAYS.  Care to elaborate some? Thanks

On 12/13/2017 at 9:52 PM, Neighbor said:

"Fasting for direction and an answer to prayer. Judges 20; Ezra 8. If you got a question in your life, want wisdom and understanding, you want to know where to live, where to get your job, who should you marry, FAST FOR THREE DAYS."

Hi, I have missed the connection if any between  Judges 20  Ezra 8 and FAST FOR THREE DAYS.  Care to elaborate some? Thanks

Hi Neighbor.

While those chapters in Judges and Ezra both mention fasting to the Lord,
the "three days" (or third day) are mentioned elsewhere.

We will go three days' journey into the wilderness,
and sacrifice to the LORD our God, as He shall command us.

Exodus 8:27

After two days will He revive us:
in the third day He will raise us up, and we shall live in His sight.

Hosea 6:2

The three days are also symbolized by Jonah's three day journey to the great city.
And being raised in the third day is symbolized by Jesus being raised on the third day after His crucifixion.

Bless Jesus
Paul

And David said unto Jonathan,
Behold, to morrow is the new moon, and I should not fail to sit with the King at meat:
but let me go, that I may hide myself in the field unto the third day at even.

1 Samuel 20:5

For He taught His disciples, and said unto them,
The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill Him;
and after that He is killed, He shall rise the third day.

Mark 9:31

• Thumbs Up 1

Also worth mentioning,
fasting is extremely beneficial for the health, and can help with addictions.

When we stop intake, the body can have a rest from digesting, and will reverse metabolism and get some toxins out.
And when you come off your fast, you can just re-introduce into your diet only those things you want.

If you never done it before, don't exceed three days.
And break your fast by eating lightly at first.

Praise God
Paul

And upon the third day, when she had ended her prayers,
she laid away her mourning garments, and put on her glorious apparel.

Additions to the Book of Esther 6:1

13 hours ago, HarvestLabourer said:

Also worth mentioning,
fasting is extremely beneficial for the health, and can help with addictions.

When we stop intake, the body can have a rest from digesting, and will reverse metabolism and get some toxins out.
And when you come off your fast, you can just re-introduce into your diet only those things you want.

If you never done it before, don't exceed three days.
And break your fast by eating lightly at first.

Praise God
Paul

And upon the third day, when she had ended her prayers,
she laid away her mourning garments, and put on her glorious apparel.

Additions to the Book of Esther 6:1

Oh boy have  I ever done it! To extremes, because the family was "into it".

I once did a twelve day fast on alternating water and lemon water  to change my ph readings. It didn't kill me obviously, and it did eventually change my ph. Big deal wow  ph changed, so? We did the whchyamacallit fungus mushroom tea drink the name of which I now forget, awful stuff that it was. Made breads from spelt, ate no processed anything. Did all that .

My wife  (50 years together, 48 married) decided it was the way to go. When she felt bad she stepped it up, then it turned out she was very sick and died of a horrible cancer. Her aunt who took garlic by the bowls full to fight  blood pressure issues and did juicing  half the day every day stroked out and took six years to die paralyzed.  They all did the collodial silver beet drink thing too.

And what did I learn? My mother who ate prime rib and sugars and  you name it just died at 93 in her own home. I am alive and active at 74 having just retired from long work weeks, eating whatever does not eat me first just as I once did  when growing up and for much of my life.  I learned God has known from before the beginning,  of our end. My diet is not going to change that. So I should not make my food habits a religious experience, nor be a slave to it. Good to have control not be gluttonous , but not let it be the "thing" of my life either.

Yet, fasting for a period is good for the Biblical purposes  of disciplining the body, as Paul put it. Making it the cause celeb though is an error in personal judgement ( IMO). It is a tool for use on special occasion, but not a product, not an end in of itself. It carries no glory  shines no light, it is but a tool,  one of many in the tool box.

Constant emphasis on diet is not the focus of a workman for Jesus. Instead it is a distraction, a part of many ministries of distraction that can be used as an  attempt to divert the saint from focus upon Jesus and onto  physical stature instead.

All that said, I did have fun at the health foods market today, eating lunch there - all organic,  all fresh, all clean. Then I bought some Ginger snap cookies  on the way out! Organic you know. I binged on them with milk last night after having some fine brie and a bit of nice wine earlier in the evening.

I don't usually drink any alcohol, fact almost never ever, but after so  much goodness, I had to have a little fine mood setting atmosphere organic alcohol and cheese with my bride.  Was wonderful, thank you Lord for a really nice day and evening.

I suspect the only way  I am going to loose weight is to run and walk it off. Dieting? Probably not -And here it is, a new day about to dawn. I evidently get to read some in the Word soon, as my mind gets more fully with it, and then  have a day of fixing up the home (Some drywalling today) and off to the health food grocery with my sweet Texas Peach bride for today's sampling, God willing that is.

Praise God for the many adventures even the one's that tend to hurt deeply, for by them all there is gain in sanctification, and awareness of the sovereignty of God.

Edited by Neighbor

On 12/3/2017 at 6:42 AM, Emily Souly said:

Last three weeks, our Rugby League team defeated a tier one nation in the cup quarter finals. During that week before their game, I was doing a very secret and private fasting and praying. After the teams defeat, social media was on a melt down back here at home with people wanting to share their joy and happiness. The following week, they were to face the 10-time rugby league champions which is the Aussie Kangaroos. During that week, I had an argument on one of Jarryd Hayne's fans on Facebook. She told me to that I could not do anything to make our boys win but comment. I told her angrily that it was an emotional win not for them but for me as well because I fasted and prayed for them to win on that particular week and I do not mind doing it again. 3 days before the match, I realized I was doing it all wrong. I made it know on social media that I was willing to fast and pray for the team. I was not alone but there were other fans around the world doing the same thing as they have posted up on twitter and Facebook. I knew from that very moment that they will lose and they did lost to Australia.  

Fasting is the most powerful way to communicate with the Lord ans to demonstrate one's faith. Its an intense sacrifice that you make. Biblical fasting is no food and no water for more intense fast. There's an absolute fast and a total fast. One of them has water and one of them does not. It's giving up food, giving up water to cry out to the Lord to get your petitions heard, to get His attention. 

"Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.  And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him. Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.  And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour. Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?  And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting."

1. This kind of faith that does not come out from you with our prayer and fasting.

2. This kind of demon that was in that boy could not be cast out unless you are praying and fasting. You can look at both ways and I think you can take it both ways.

To cry out to God and seek His attention, it is a great idea to surrender other things as well. There are many spiritual reasons to fast. You can fast for any length of time you want . That is between you and God.

There's something unique and spiritual, something significant that takes place when we are willing to deny our flesh. Our spirits are magnified before the Lord. We're able to engage the spiritual elements of God in a more powerful way. When we make a sacrifice to God, we are saying to Him that He is more important in this world than my fleshy desires. When we do this with a pure heart, God recognizes our efforts, faithful efforts and He draws closer to us, He hears us and responds to us in a Mighty way. He recognizes these works because they are done in faith. We practice fasting by faith, we are diligently showing the Lord we will do anything for Him. By afflicting our bodies and crucifying that fleshly desire, we become weak before God, demonstrating our dependence upon Him. We're crying out to God from the inner most parts of our soul when we fast. This is the most intensive way to communicate with God. 

The bible says that God rewards those who diligently seek Him and He saves those who are broken hearten.

"But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."

"And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart."

" The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit."

He desires us to break ourselves before His thrown. There is nothing more powerful than fasting to do that. Jesus told us that the poor and Spirit are blessed. When we fast, we are making ourselves poor before the Lord, crying out to Him, broken, weak, humbling ourselves. Our spirits are elevating, God exalts us. God listens. God pays attention why because it is done in faith. If you don't fast in faith. 

Jesus blessed the poor in spirit. Why? Because God pays attention. Because God is listening. Because God is there for them. Fasting breaks you down.

Begin with a simple goal and grow within a intensity overtime. The scarifies of God that we bring to God are broken spirit. Psalm 51:17 - The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. There are many reasons for fast.

Jesus taught us how to fast and practice fasting Himself. Matthew 4:2 -  And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.

Fasting was a regular part of life in the old testament. Zechariah 8:10 - For before these days there was no hire for man, nor any hire for beast; neither was there any peace to him that went out or came in because of the affliction: for I set all men every one against his neighbour.

Fasting was commented by God. Leviticus 23:27 -  Also on the tenth day of this seventh month there shall be a day of atonement: it shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall afflict your souls, and offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD. 

And while fasting can be used for purposes raging from seeking God's direction, casting out devils. There is a clear distinction between the right way to fast and a wrong way to fast. Isaiah 58:3-7 - Wherefore have we fasted, say they, and thou seest not? wherefore have we afflicted our soul, and thou takest no knowledge? Behold, in the day of your fast ye find pleasure, and exact all your labours. Behold, ye fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high. Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD? Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

Jesus gives us instructions on how to fast. Matthew 6:16-18. Its says don't fast like hypocrites. Don't look like you're fasting. Don't tell people you a fasting. Keep it in a inner secret. Do it as a sacrifice to God and don't make a public spectral of it unless you are doing in a group church. Moreover, when He fast, Be not as the hypocrites with a sad look on your face, for the disfigure their faces and they appeared to men to show that they are fasting. They showed everybody "Oh I'm fasting." They make a big deal about it. (Matthew 6:16-18 - Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.  But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face; That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

" Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

- to remind us of our purpose, to serve righteousness, to increase our blessings which come in many forms such as power, increase faith, increase spiritual gifts, answers to prayers, mercy, relief of sorrow, etc.

There's a personal reason to fast and a way you should be treating others while you are fasting. In verse 7 explains how to treat others while you are fasting cause they were fasting and not treating each other with love. You can fast all day long if you are not fulfilling love and faith two greatest commandments love, Love God, Love your neighbour. If you are not doing that, your fast is useless and pointless in just a religious practice. That is what Jesus say, Don't do it like the hypocrites. You are fasting but you are not practicing love. It's a wrong way to fast.

A proper way to fast. Isaiah 58:3 - Wherefore have we fasted, say they, and thou seest not? wherefore have we afflicted our soul, and thou takest no knowledge? Behold, in the day of your fast ye find pleasure, and exact all your labours.  Compare right and wrong way to fast. God is pointing out Isaiah 58:6-7, in what our hearts need to be focus on when we fast, the Lord is comparing His chosen fast to the kind of fasting people of Israel were doing in verses 3 to 5.

Isaiah 58:3-5 -" Wherefore have we fasted, say they, and thou seest not? wherefore have we afflicted our soul, and thou takest no knowledge? Behold, in the day of your fast ye find pleasure, and exact all your labours.  Behold, ye fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high. Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD? "  He is just pointing out that when they were fasting, they were still acting carnal. They were not caring for the poor, they were not caring for the hungry. The fast of God is to obey spiritual principles, is to humble yourselves before God and still serve love towards your neighbour.

v.9_ intimacy with God, getting God's attention, faster answer's to our petitions.

To get God's attention and confess sins. Nehemiah 1:4-11 - And it came to pass, when I heard these words, that I sat down and wept, and mourned certain days, and fasted, and prayed before the God of heaven,  And said, I beseech thee, O LORD God of heaven, the great and terrible God, that keepeth covenant and mercy for them that love him and observe his commandments: Let thine ear now be attentive, and thine eyes open, that thou mayest hear the prayer of thy servant, which I pray before thee now, day and night, for the children of Israel thy servants, and confess the sins of the children of Israel, which we have sinned against thee: both I and my father's house have sinned. We have dealt very corruptly against thee, and have not kept the commandments, nor the statutes, nor the judgments, which thou commandedst thy servant Moses.  He was trying to get God's attention and confess sins for the nation. If you had sin in our life and repent, fasting is a good way to let the Lord know that you are serious cause a lot of people are sorry for what they do.

All these works we do are done by faith. Fasting to ask God to change His mind about judgement. He does not change in nature but He change mind all throughout the Scriptures when people repent, He does not want to perish you. God does not want to punish you but He will if you disobey Him. If you repent, God will repent. Just study the scriptures. Read the bible for yourself. Pray and fast that God will teach you all these things.

David fasted in 2 Samuel 12:16-23 to get God to change His mind. God did not change His mind. David did not want his son to die and as a part of the punishment to David, the Lord took his son's life. And God did not change His mind on that. So, David was repenting for God to change His mind but He didn't. They repented for God to change His mind in Jonah 3 and He did! The scriptures says the Lord will show mercy on whom He shows mercy, compassion on whom He shows compassion. He told Job, " Where were you when I made the stars. I'll do what I want." He's God. That's why we need to fear Him.

1 Kings 21:25-29 But there was none like unto Ahab, which did sell himself to work wickedness in the sight of the LORD, whom Jezebel his wife stirred up. And he did very abominably in following idols, according to all things as did the Amorites, whom the LORD cast out before the children of Israel. And it came to pass, when Ahab heard those words, that he rent his clothes, and put sackcloth upon his flesh, and fasted, and lay in sackcloth, and went softly. And the word of the LORD came to Elijah the Tishbite, saying, Seest thou how Ahab humbleth himself before me? because he humbleth himself before me, I will not bring the evil in his days: but in his son's days will I bring the evil upon his house. 

The people fasted for repentance to stop the evil consequences the Lord was going to sent, the Lord respected Ahab's actions to repent, humble himself and so He did not sent evil on that time but He sis sent it upon His children later. So it postponed God's judgement in that case. Ahab spared his children, ended up getting punish for that. Fasting will break your pride quick.

1 Samuel 3:13 For I have told him that I will judge his house for ever for the iniquity which he knoweth; because his sons made themselves vile, and he restrained them not.

They fasted and mourned for 7 days. Because of the killings that were going on, people that were dying. Saul was killed and his sons. This is when he lost his throne and David took over. They took Saul and children's bones buried under a tree and fasted for even days, they were mourning and they were crying. Somebody dies, you fast. Somebody get hurt, you fast. It's a way of expressing sorrow. Don't eat.

Joel 1:1-19. They fast for shame and lost because they were ashamed of what they did and all the lost for their disobedience, they fasted.

Fasting for direction and an answer to prayer. Judges 20; Ezra 8. If you got a question in your life, want wisdom and understanding, you want to know where to live, where to get your job, who should you marry, FAST FOR THREE DAYS.

If you have a greedy heart, the Lord sees it. You fast for more money, out of greed and envy, you are not going to get it. You just need to be content in your life.

Yes, and as you stated early on others fast for opposing purposes and "goals". Don't let the tool  of fasting become the focus. Let the goal always be godly and the focus upon God.

• Loved it! 1

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

Yes, and as you stated early on others fast for opposing purposes and "goals". Don't let the tool  of fasting become the focus. Let the goal always be godly and the focus upon God.

Fasting is a key tool though, for the simple fact that the opposite to fasting is giving in to the flesh.
But you are absolutely right, the focus should be upon the Lord, and the goal His arrival.
Fasting (to me) means coming off of everything except God.
And for that, I make my eye single for the Lord.

Praise the Lord
Paul

Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Matthew 5:4

Fair enough.

Actually, I think every tool is important, none are to be left behind, nor allowed to get rusty in the toolbox..

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Days Won:  5

Thanks Emily, I enjoyed this study and encouragement on fasting.

Ah sports......the dilemma for me with sports and competition, and wars for that matter.....is that winning is always at the expense of somebody else who God loves just as much!  ;) 

• Thumbs Up 1