Cousin diagnosed with MS

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I have a cousin who is struggling with his diagnosis of MS.  He has two young children and a very immature wife.  I don't know how to help him.  Any advice would be appreciated.

USA Mary 17

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

My daughter in law has had it for over 25 years.  It is not the end of the world.  It took some adapting, but for the most part medication helps her to function fairly normally.  She does have problems with some memory, so she had to go onto Social Security eventually.   She has to keep cool in the summer or would have an "attack".  But at this point she is enduring a good deal of nerve pain.  She has never had a true remission, unlike most people.  

Her biggest problem was to find a competent neurologist.  So she travels to larger cities to find one that knows enough about MS to treat it well.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,858
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

Does she know Christ as her Lord and Savior and follow Him with all her heart?

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,047
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

10 hours ago, usamary17 said:

I have a cousin who is struggling with his diagnosis of MS.  He has two young children and a very immature wife.  I don't know how to help him.  Any advice would be appreciated.

USA Mary 17

they both need to talk to people who have gone through this.....   My wife was diagnosed a bit over 25 years ago....    she taught Kindergarten for 21 years with it, so I do know that it isn't necessarily the end of the world....  Problem is that each person is different in how the disease progresses......    now there are treatments for it so it doesn't have to be so devastating to his overall health.  I had a schoolmate that passed on with complications that the MS caused about 4 months ago....    he was 73.

They do need to get a grip on life pretty quick though for a lot of MS marriages end up in divorce...     

If I can be of any help let me know and I'll give him my phone number and we can talk, or I could ask if my wife might talk to him.....    but need to speak to his wife also.   They both need to understand that it may change their lives, it's not the end of the world.....   I think it made my wife and I's relationship closer...