• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/19/1977

Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.
Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls. (James 1:19-21/KJV)

Breakdown:

James continues his practical guidance with words about listening. Christians need to listen well both to God and people. Let everyone be quick to hear [be a careful thoughtful listener], slow to speak [a speaker of carefully chosen words and], slow to anger [patient, reflective, forgiving]: the [resentful, deep-seated] anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God [that standard of behavior which He requires from us]. James says that listening to others removes the anger and arrogance that keep us from doing God’s word spoken in Scripture. When others speak words that we do not welcome—words of disagreement, criticism, dismissal—it is easy to respond in anger. But doing so usually makes our position worse, and always discredits our witness as Christ’s servants. How much better to trust God to defend our position, rather than defending ourselves by angry, hasty speech. James directs us to get rid of all uncleanness and all that remains of wickedness, and with a humble spirit receive the word [of God] which is implanted [actually rooted in your heart], which is able to save your souls.

Edited by Becky21888
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  650
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

22 hours ago, Becky21888 said:

Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.
Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls. (James 1:19-21/KJV)

Breakdown:

James continues his practical guidance with words about listening. Christians need to listen well both to God and people. Let everyone be quick to hear [be a careful thoughtful listener], slow to speak [a speaker of carefully chosen words and], slow to anger [patient, reflective, forgiving]: the [resentful, deep-seated] anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God [that standard of behavior which He requires from us]. James says that listening to others removes the anger and arrogance that keep us from doing God’s word spoken in Scripture. When others speak words that we do not welcome—words of disagreement, criticism, dismissal—it is easy to respond in anger. But doing so usually makes our position worse, and always discredits our witness as Christ’s servants. How much better to trust God to defend our position, rather than defending ourselves by angry, hasty speech. James directs us to get rid of all uncleanness and all that remains of wickedness, and with a humble spirit receive the word [of God] which is implanted [actually rooted in your heart], which is able to save your souls.

Nice points here! 

We cannot know with certainty whether we are right or wrong, therefore we should always be quick to hear, slow to speak and in particular slow to anger! Because we can't really judge another person. 

The Truth definitely doesn't need to be defended with anger.

Thanks for the Scriptures on these good points to keep in mind! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

Exactly! ? Well said! 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,190
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

23 hours ago, Becky21888 said:

Breakdown:

Hi Becky,

Pleased to meet you and read your thoughtful comments. I think I will cut & paste them they are so, so for now especially in this `driven` world. And even as believers we can get driven and not realise it.

regards, Marilyn.

• Loved it! 1

I agree with you Marilyn. Please share, copy, paste because we all struggle with this. When I was studying these verses and realized this is my daily struggle in plain site. Instead of listening to criticism I would get defensive.  Yet, I would pray and ask God to show me what was still in my heart, and He would then I was in such denial with the truth about myself, that I would not listen...I would be very argumentative and would speak hasty in my anger...This revelation God showed me about myself humbled me in away that left me in tears and so repentive...?

Marilyn to be LOVED by Jesus is nothing like it. He corrects us and helps US get better. He doesn't give up on US! Even when we give up on ourselves! There's no greater love then that... ?

• This is Worthy 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,190
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

10 minutes ago, Becky21888 said:

I agree with you Marilyn. Please share, copy, paste because we all struggle with this. When I was studying these verses and realized this is my daily struggle in plain site. Instead of listening to criticism I would get defensive.  Yet, I would pray and ask God to show me what was still in my heart, and He would then I was in such denial with the truth about myself, that I would not listen...I would be very argumentative and would speak hasty in my anger...This revelation God showed me about myself humbled me in away that left me in tears and so repentive...?

Marilyn to be LOVED by Jesus is nothing like it. He corrects us and helps US get better. He doesn't give up on US! Even when we give up on ourselves! There's no greater love then that... ?

Thank you Becky,

So true, so glad the Lord convicts and not condemns. We can do that all by ourselves. And of course that is one of the enemy`s weapons - condemnation which leads to discouragement. But the love of the Lord works in our hearts to have us recognise what`s wrong, repent, (as you said) and then go on renewed.

Blessings, Marilyn.

• Thumbs Up 2