Sign in to follow this  
angels4u

Just this and that about gardening,how do you garden?

It,s winter here ,summer is around the corner,so how do you garden?Are you starting the seed inside?

I plant seed in the ground.  I like to do a raised bed, but will do rows in ground too.  Chicken manure, and worm castings, bone meal, blood meal and some kind of compost, usually homemade, is tilled in.  I like to use water out of my spring... no chlorine.  Bubble it with a fish tank air pump for a few days and add worm castings to make a tea and use that to water.  the air creates an aerobic environment for good bacteria to grow.  the water can not sit it has to be moving. 

If i was going to try to double up by starring early with little pots indoors and then try for a second crop by starter pots i would do that, but the summer comes quicker than it used to.  makes it hard to do that for me.   

the layout for this is strange.  have not figured out how it works yet, so this post is kinda just a test. 

On 12/11/2017 at 11:00 AM, angels4u said:

It,s winter here ,summer is around the corner,so how do you garden?Are you starting the seed inside?

It's almost the same time that you posted this thread angels4u....we are approaching winter for me...I just planted some garlic before the ground froze...I cannot plant anything else.  I might try to plant some romaine.... I will have to experiment.  I don't have a greenhouse so I gotta make do with what I have.  here is a video I recently watched.  She has a great idea about making a small greenhouse using a plastic bin.  I'm thinking of trying this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2018 at 6:41 PM, ForHisGlory37 said:

It's almost the same time that you posted this thread angels4u....we are approaching winter for me...I just planted some garlic before the ground froze...I cannot plant anything else.  I might try to plant some romaine.... I will have to experiment.  I don't have a greenhouse so I gotta make do with what I have.  here is a video I recently watched.  She has a great idea about making a small greenhouse using a plastic bin.  I'm thinking of trying this. 

you can grow green leafy leafs in the summer too!  you got to shade them.  a lot of folks think its a temperature thing... but its not.  its a sun thing.  to much sun sunburns the leaves of lettuce and other such type food.  burlap sacks sewn together or something like that above them to keep direct sun off them.  the indirect sunlight is enough for many plants like lettuce.  they just need to have enough water and they are good.  I learned about this when i got into keyhole gardening... which really comes from africa where they have 4 months a year of bad drought and all the animals are gone.  they do hills with a hole in the center and put manure and plant wastes and weeds down the hole and it makes compost.  they water in the hole... must use non chlorinated water as chlorine kills the good bacteria you are trying to cultivate in compost.  the roots dive deep to get to the water and nutrients.  for the folks in africa gardening is a survival tactic as there is nothing else to eat.  I saw pictures of their cabbage and the heads were the size of basketballs and a little larger.... they shade with big leaves. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Cletus, I think I am going to try growing sprouts!  I just got a book and it seems simple enough.  I shall prepare it for next year's winter.  I will have to make lots of room on my window and have my hubby make some shelves!  I will have to give you the name of the book I got! 

Year-Round Indoor Salad Gardening .... I bought it through abebooks.com or thriftbooks.com... it was cheaper than amazon

:)

On 12/27/2018 at 12:09 AM, ForHisGlory37 said:

Cletus, I think I am going to try growing sprouts!  I just got a book and it seems simple enough.  I shall prepare it for next year's winter.  I will have to make lots of room on my window and have my hubby make some shelves!  I will have to give you the name of the book I got! 

Year-Round Indoor Salad Gardening .... I bought it through abebooks.com or thriftbooks.com... it was cheaper than amazon

:)

my grandmother used to can them.  depending on what you are sprouting light, or to much light may not be desirable.  for a fodder system for livestock, which is just sprouts of grains but on a larger scale, dont try oats it dont do so well, they use a regular 6'bulb.  not a high pressure sodium or metal halide or any kind of grow bulbs.  you can do sprouts on your kitchen counter year round! 

the sprouts actually have more nutrients than the seed unsprouted. don't ask me how that happens or works but its true per nutritional analysis.  some people just use two paper towels and dampen them with non chlorinated water and fold the paper towels up and put the seeds in between and set on a paper plate and in a few days voila... sprouts. 

i like to put them on my sandwiches when i have some. 

but for sure i would be interested in knowing about the book.  you never know who has some good info that can benefit you. 

Edited by Cletus
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2017 at 1:00 PM, angels4u said:

I am pretty far south so i do not have to start seeds indoors.  a few key things to do as a gardener... get a farmers almanac.  pay attention to it as it will tell you THE day to plant what and where.  learn your zones.  and look into local agriculture extensions at county offices and at universities.  they will have gobs of free info of what varieties of fruits and veggies that will do well in your area.  the stores sell whatever and not always will those seeds do well in your area.  the companies do not always care about setting you up for success, but instead making those dollars stack.  the agriculture extensions will not only have that info on that but stuff on plant diseases and a remedy.  they will also have a plants soil requirements... pH, nutrients, and other info like broccoli and cauliflowers  don't do well with loose tilled soil, they like it compacted.  lots of good info if you know where to look.  the heads will be spindly and loose in loose soil.  

i do start my peppers indoors and i found miracle grow orchid mix does the best, especially for bird peppers. 

I would like to turn people onto keyhole gardening.  it makes it way more simple, especially if you do like to start seed indoors.  read up if you like the idea go for it, if not throw it back. 

i like to keep it simple.  raised beds.  earthworm castings and red worm castings, bone meal, and compost both home made and mushroom compost tilled in.   Lots of people will tell you mushroom compost is "spent"  well thats a good thing as fresh mushroom compost is to rich and will burn up even trees.  you want it used. 

If you really want to set it off learn to make your own compost.  no animal waste.  no chlorine water and water every day... keep it damp but not sloppy as bacteria which actually makes the compost needs water to live but to much water causes bad bacteria to grow and it will kill the good bacteria.  and learn about the nitration process.  if you can find bulk beans that got bugs in them you can get them cheap and some times free.  it will grow a white powder at first and then turn yellow and thats easy to see to learn about... thats when its good.  its stinks bad though so have some compost already to cover it up.  the bacteria needs oxygen.  for commercial manufacturing of compost they have machines called stingers i used to operate them that either turn it up or a loader dumps it on a conveyor belt and it piles it up.  you need at least a 3'x3'x3' to get a good cook.  its going to get hot, and steam if its good.  i use a piece of rebar and poke holes down to the bottom to get oxygen in there and it sure beats turning it with a shovel.  you want to do layers.  stay away from leaves if you can as they have tanins and it is possible to poison your garden.  there is a lot to know about compost.  and only add a small amount of chicken manure as it gets hot.  it takes awhile to get it right but once you do you will always want to make some compost after that.   I promise you, it is worth your time... here in texas our soils are low in nitrogen, once i made some compost my gardens look better than most others i see. 

Sign in to follow this